Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!

MMORPG's place in Esports

13»

Comments

• MMORPGs are meant to not become e-sports, its not really what the genres about.
  • I can't wait to find a tavern and yell out this simple phrase...

*Raises an Ale* Gilly Gilly!
  • ArchivedUserArchivedUser Guest
    edited April 2018
    Rodzor said:
    MMORPGs are meant to not become e-sports, its not really what the genres about.
    I would say it has the capacity to be competitive/artistic like Speech/Debate or Model UN.

Imagine, if you will, a living soap-opera. Organic narratives. Daily briefings on the public state of affairs as the players within the environment simply experience.

Think of the fan-fare and intrigue that surrounds Eve online major events that end up in news articles.
  • No, please absolutely not. E-Sports is nothing more than a cash grab, and I can go to youtube or a streamer to watch someone else play the game... I do not need a dedicated movement in development to enjoy this aspect... If anything were to be added, I  think a prize for high ranking players in general would be great. Not anything worth dedicating too heavily like a job or truly serious like a e sports competitor would, and being just low enough yet rewarding that skilled and/or dedicated more casual like players could achieve because of the lack of demand.

So very many games failing to go e-sports when they are not really designed in a way that naturally supports such things. League of legends, first person shooters, and so on are designed nearly perfectly for such things, but not a mmorpg. Just wasted resources and effort...

When developers start branching off and wasting resources on unnecessary things like this the game usually suffer in some ways...
  • ArchivedUserArchivedUser Guest
    edited May 2018
    Diura said:
    Mathcore said:
    Ashes is a MMORPG not a gambling asset. Dedicated gamers are looking for a real honest to goodness old time with new ideas and a  game to sink their teeth in, not a sporting event.

Hit the nail on the head :) If you're looking for a future e-sport game you're at the wrong place. However pvp will be competitive and fun in ashes with arenas and open world pvp and because of meaningful play within ashes- the game will be competitive and enjoyable enough without the need of making it into a sport ^^
    That said, I would love to see in-game tournaments between rival nodes in which the victorious node receives some sort of reward/recognition from the success of the competitors who represent them.

I would envision it to be an annual or semi-annual event in which nodes choose their champions/competitors through various means depending on the node type. These competitors would then compete against teams/players from other nodes to win and "bring glory and honor to their homeland."

Just spit-balling here  :smile:

- Sikuba