Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!

What is your opinion on the add-on prices? (Poll)

I created a topic with the exact same title to see what people were thinking. Then I regret not putting a poll into it. Thought I'd add a poll to get more of a clear overview of whether people agree with the prices of the add-on's or not.

For further discussion on the actual topic, please feel free to refer back to my original topic: https://forums.ashesofcreation.com/discussion/34372/what-is-your-opinion-on-the-add-on-prices

For those who cannot see the add-ons yet, I have added 3 files compiling the prices below (VERY bad editing).

Comments

• Some of the prices are a little high, but you don't have to buy this stuff. I think $15-$25 is a fair price for a mount that you will get to keep for the life of the game. I have spent some of my own money on mounts in World of Warcraft. As long as there are options to get cool looking mounts, skins, and bardings out in the world then its fine.
  • ArchivedUserArchivedUser Guest
    edited July 2017
    Well, Steven agrees with the prices apparently. Personally i think they are over the top, especially if we only have 12 days to suddenly come up with $450.  Even worse the fire and ice elemental skins appeal to me a lot, i bought the kickstarter leader of men package but if i'd known i might just have waited for the summer funding.

And i can;'t even buy the fire and ice skins separately, only through the most expencive bundle. 

This just leaves a sour taste in my mouth, and if this is "reasonably priced".... I'm worried for what pricing will be when the game is released on cosmetics.

For $450 i could pick 5 or 6 new +++A games and buy them all with the deluxe editions. There are plenty of arguments against what i'm saying i know, but for me... this feels greedy.

EDIT:
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------
     I'm glad to hear the fire and ice skins will be available individually, one of my biggest gripes was that it is probably one of the most wanted and it was being held for ransom in the most expensive bundle. This doesn't change my opinion on some of the other prices though, which i still view as higher than they really should be.
    Yes they might be priced at their individual values, but Kickstarter backers didn't know they could have waited a gotten a totally different set of cosmetics and rewards that they might like the looks of much more.

I appreciate that people should be donating to support the company and the game not for the goodies, but being realistic when you are offering exclusive in game items people are going to be attracted for that reason as well as giving to the developers.
  • Hey guys, just to update, the fire and ice skins are available individually as well, but are glitched atm. Working on that. 
    The pricing for the add ons is equal to their individual values in the summer packages. The bundles provide 15% - 20% off of that value. 
    Only kickstarter backers have the ability to individually purchase the summer exclusive items without having to purchase the package they are in. 

Will work on getting the ice and fire skins fixed shortly 

❤️
    edited July 2017
    tylerr385 said:
    Some of the prices are a little high, but you don't have to buy this stuff. I think $15-$25 is a fair price for a mount that you will get to keep for the life of the game. I have spent some of my own money on mounts in World of Warcraft. As long as there are options to get cool looking mounts, skins, and bardings out in the world then its fine.
    They charge $50 for one of the mounts. As long as the ingame store prices are reasonable then I guess I'd be fine with it, even if I think they are a bit too high.

Though I was expecting lower prices after Steven said the addons would be reasonable, so maybe we will see these type of prices ingame as well, that would suck.
  • I think the prices are reasonable - especially since some of the items are supposed to be "rare" and exclusive to a minority. They should cost more than average or else everyone will be wearing/riding everything.
    If they reflect standard shop prices after launch woawwwweeee but they are aesthetics and not p2w items so I'll live xD
    edited July 2017
    Mehariel said:
    Well, Steven agrees with the prices apparently. Personally i think they are over the top, especially if we only have 12 days to suddenly come up with $450.  Even worse the fire and ice elemental skins appeal to me a lot, i bought the kickstarter leader of men package but if i'd known i might just have waited for the summer funding.

And i can;'t even buy the fire and ice skins separately, only through the most expencive bundle. 

This just leaves a sour taste in my mouth, and if this is "reasonably priced".... I'm worried for what pricing will be when the game is released on cosmetics.

For $450 i could pick 5 or 6 new +++A games and buy them all with the deluxe editions. There are plenty of arguments against what i'm saying i know, but for me... this feels greedy.

EDIT:
     I'm glad to hear the fire and ice skins will be available individually, one of my biggest gripes was that it is probably one of the most wanted and it was being held for ransom in the most expensive bundle. This doesn't change my opinion on some of the other prices though, which i still view as higher than they really should be.
    Yes they might be priced at their individual values, but Kickstarter backers didn't know they could have waited a gotten a totally different set of cosmetics and rewards that they might like the looks of much more.

I appreciate that people should be donating to support the company and the game not for the goodies, but being realistic when you are offering exclusive in game items people are going to be attracted for that reason as well as giving to the developers.
    Oh I thought this was stuff that was going to be available in the cash shop when the game releases as well.
  • tylerr385 said:
    Mehariel said:

EDIT:

Oh I thought this was stuff that was going to be available in the cash shop when the game releases as well.
    No, as far as i know these items are exclusive to the summer crowdfunding campaign, but if i'm wrong i could appreciate if someone could let us know.
  • My thinking is we are seeing what the price points will be when we do have a store in game.
  • Remember these prices are currently at a point where they are considered Nominal and Reasonable per Steven so we are getting a discount on what they would normally be. 

They may push that this is not a pay-to-win game but they are going to use their best P2W monetization strategies to make sure you pay!
  • Hatchet said:
    Remember these prices are currently at a point where they are considered Nominal and Reasonable per Steven so we are getting a discount on what they would normally be. 

They may push that this is not a pay-to-win game but they are going to use their best P2W monetization strategies to make sure you pay!
    There's nothing P2W about cosmetics.

It's more like they are pushing a F2P game, with ridiculously overpriced cosmetic items, not a game with a monthly subscription. We have to wait and see what the release prices for the in game store will be, but if it's like this, i will really feel bad i supported that kind of pricing and practise with so much of my money.
  • I placed in agree, though I do think the housing side is a little expensive. My reasons for agreeing is I was taking into account what WoW and even 14 charge for their mounts/pets and comparing this to what AoC here is asking for.

The only thing I have to look out for housing, is really to Istaria, which sees owning a plot of land around 15 dollars, so to me, the 20 seems a little high, but mounts? Pets? other things? That seems pretty much on alignment with the two heavy dogs right now of MMORPGs.
  • It's not P2W, they are just going to charge a lot for cosmetics, that's within their rights. I may not like the pricing but it won't hurt the game at all as long as they have good ingame cosmetics too.
  • There's no "I don't give a crap" option so I can't vote
    edited July 2017
    Karthos said:
    There's no "I don't give a crap" option so I can't vote
    Well no there is not, because I thought that people who don't give a crap simply wouldn't bother looking/commenting :tongue:
  • Nelirya said:
    Karthos said:
    Well no there is not, because I thought that people who don't give a crap simply wouldn't bother looking/commenting :tongue:
    I'm addicted to making my opinion known to everyone!

You should know that by now!! :)
  • Karthos said:
    Nelirya said:
    Karthos said:
    I'm addicted to making my opinion known to everyone!

You should know that by now!! :)
    Haha, you're right, I know :D
    edited July 2017
    Well it kinda makes no sense that the big bundle is close to the same price as up grading from Braver to Leader; at which point there is very little difference, but you would get the title.
  • Meh, people will fork out the cash regardless. 
    edited July 2017
    T-Elf said:
    Well it kinda makes no sense that the big bundle is close to the same price as up grading from Braver to Leader; at which point there is very little difference, but you would get the title.
    Leader bestows title and invitation to Launch Party and naming an NPC.
    But, you're right that I would just upgrade to Leader rather than purchase the All Inclusive Bundle.
  • Funny when you see an admin vote on something, just an observation of course.
  • Duninn said:
    Funny when you see an admin vote on something, just an observation of course.
    Means that they are paying attention to their early playerbase. There has been a tendency for them to hang out and fire off stuff into the ether of Discord, which then has to be found and spread by those willing to scroll through the mass of fart and boobie jokes that it is most of the time. So having Steven reading the forums and commenting when he feels like it is a good thing.
  • @UnknownSystemError

I'll agree to that. Perhaps I'm just in dismay because of my own belief prices should be lower. Honestly I thought they would give backers more of a discount. 

In any case you are right. The positive from this scenario is they are watching and responding to us, a trait most companies lack.
    edited July 2017
    I usually limit how much I spend on an mmo per month. Usually 25-50 depending on how many I'm playing. That includes subscription too. So with this game I'm only going to be spending 10-30 with some flex room. Of course only if I find something worth buying (usually skins or pets). So they are really only looking at getting 1 purchase out of my a month. With gw2 I usually picked up 3 or 4 things a month, minimum. So more cheap sales or just a few big ones. Up to you guys.
  • Unfortunately, there was no "I'm in the middle" option... With that said, some of the prices are reasonable, while other seems slightly high. If you think about it though, these are cosmetic items and you are not required to purchase them, but at the same time, it all funds the development of the game. So, it could be looked at as a "win win". It would be nice to see some price adjustments made for some of the items though. Either way, I'm happy with the way things are going with AoC.
    edited July 2017
    Honestly wish I could get a refund for all that money I spent on KS after this fiasco.  I can see where this game is going now.  I was a fool for believing.  Oh well.
    edited July 2017
    Vicious said:
    Honestly wish I could get a refund for all that money I spent on KS after this fiasco.  I can see where this game is going now.  I was a fool for believing.  Oh well.

Contact your CC directly and speak with a claims rep about the situation.  If you file a dispute though expect a ban to follow.
    edited July 2017
    GMSteven said:
    Hey guys, just to update, the fire and ice skins are available individually as well, but are glitched atm. Working on that. 
    The pricing for the add ons is equal to their individual values in the summer packages. The bundles provide 15% - 20% off of that value. 
    Only kickstarter backers have the ability to individually purchase the summer exclusive items without having to purchase the package they are in. 

Will work on getting the ice and fire skins fixed shortly 

❤️
    @GMSteven

What happened to your comment of "for a small additional fee"

The items are in no way a small additional fee.

Bought Leader of Men on the KS and now I'm being asked to fork over another 450+ USD for some cosmetics that were thrown together to calm the vocal minority. (Half of which are just recolors. Other things like the image packages we have ZERO information on the difference IF ANY.

You also made a claim that 70% of your audience couldn't use KS. With the amount of people who jumped on the summer package seems like that isn't even close to reality. You listened to the vocal minority right? That's what people were saying, cool id go with that. Now it seems that it was just you following the money.

What happened to not being a cash grab? Cause for a game that isn't out yet you're certainly falling into that category for me, and I'm sure I'm not the only one.

So with this game no even out yet and this being pulled, I can only guess what kind of milking from the fan base will go on stepping forward.

So much for bringing back greatness to the genre with this shit being pulled. So early on.

Your kick starter video you looked into that camera and made a pledge this game and this studio was going to be different. You received funding because of those words and others.

• Vicious said:
    TBH flood gates are just opening. Wouldnt be surprised if there is a class action brought up.

If they remove this or my prior comment, it would just add fuel to such a thing.
  • Ok I nominally voted "too high" but...

Lets make it clear, for me THE MOST IMPORTANT THING is that cash shop offers only cosmetics, and then, in such scenario, I have no problem with any price tags Intrepid will put there.

Now when that is out of the way, I can say I voted on "too high" simply because I personally believe that lower prices lead to higher amount of sales, which then leads to better profit for the company, and better funding for the game, and as a side bonus a happier player base.

That being said, I leave it to Intrepids market experts to decide as they are more qualified than I am in economy aspects.