My opinion about the stream of alpha one preview

KCDQKCDQ Member
edited March 27 in General Discussion
Good morning all !

I felt the need to expose certain aspects of the stream that is taking place this evening.
I am aware that this is a preview of alpha one and that it is doomed to be improved.
I'm like you, I want Ashes of Creation to be the dream of every MMORPG player! Given the promises that have been made, it must be there!

I found the first 25 to 30 minutes of "gameplay" quite time consuming, I had an impression of an obligation on your part to share the gameplay of MMORPG, as if some things forced you to reveal this part and do it in a bacler way and therefore not scripted.
I'm really a fan of stream scripting when the gameplay guideline is announced and this avoids losing it as much as possible.
And this once again makes it possible to have objectives within the teams and shows the efforts pushing in this direction to the community.

Example:
STREAM 1: The direct operation of a caravan, this goes from loading, until unloading OR destruction of it (When everything is operational of course)

Stream 2: Taking of a city + Election of a mayor + presentation of buildings in the city (construction / collection)

We can offer a lot of possibilities with a target to target for all.

Because there for someone who is not confident with Ashes of Creation, this stream could frighten him so much some things are magnificent (decorations, environments / effects of spells) and others which still lack work (animation horse, character , the feet of the players who are easily superimposed 3/5 cm above the ground which gives us an impression of constant flight.

To talk about good things now,

- I really loved the biome present, and the diversity in creatures that changes from ordinary MMORPGS, it changes it's fun and it's beautiful, the light effects are very well done!

Not sure what is to develop at the moment but if another alpha one presentation stream gets on your agenda then my idea would be to maybe focus on the departure of the characters, the skill tree aspect , choice of class how it is done even in order to sequence, a way like the nodes to explain to us
onfd.png

Comments

• noaaninoaani Member
    edited March 28
    cepezed85 wrote: »
    I had an impression of an obligation on your part to share the gameplay of MMORPG
    With all the people that have put money in to this game already, yeah, they kind of do have an implied obligation to demonstrate what they can.

If people are put off by seeing a game in what is still an early alpha stage (not even beta), then those people should probably not bother looking at alpha footage of games.

Rest assured though, since this game is still at least 2 years away from release, people that saw alpha footage of the game and were put off by it will probably have forgotten about the game completely by the time the game is ready to launch - at which point they will see the game in it's polished state, not realizing that they had seen it before in an alpha state.
    cepezed85 wrote: »
    the feet of the players who are easily superimposed 3/5 cm above the ground which gives us an impression of constant flight.
    It's worth noting that they specifically addressed this in the video.

There are two factors in play. The first being that collision isn't in it's final form - as with almost every aspect of games, collision gets implemented in passes. The first pass is to ensure that collision actually exists, then making sure floors and walls actually have collision, then each successive pass is improving the finer details of collision.

The second aspect at play are the shadows. They are not nearly in their finished form - and as the game engine has newly added support for ray tracing, if Intrepid decide to make use of it, it involves the coders learning a new system from scratch and so may take some time.

All said though, shadows are something that need not be perfected until launch day, as they don't have too much of an impact on any other system.

So really, I'm not sure what the issue is.

• My impressions: "You were supposed to send nodes not nudes"

- Margret Krohn 2020
    Where there is light, there is shadow. I am the shadow without the light. The shadow of nothingness. The VoidShadow
  • leonerdoleonerdo Member, Settler
    They still have a long way to go, but they're making progress and showing new stuff, so really there's not much else to say. There's no point in critiquing pre-alpha systems.

Maybe if they were making big changes that directly contradicted their pillars of design, I could speak up about how they're going in the wrong direction. But that doesn't seem to be the case. Anything else is too small/nitpicky to mention at this stage of development.
  • TsukasaTsukasa Member
    edited March 28
    I'm sick of them repeating "It's early alpha". When BDO was in Alpha, everyone realized it by themselves and was in fact mind-blown by how unimaginably too good will it be when fully developed(instead of hoping that it ends up good enough because it's always too early). I expected more from Ashes.

Just wanted to post this here, you don't have to tell me. I do realize that Intrepid focused their work on more important/core noncombat stuff unlike BDO and it is still too early to judge.
    Angel of Justice
  • bluesmokebluesmoke Member, Founder
    I was really impressed with the livestream today, i thought it was the best to date.
    Shows good progress from what we have seen in the past.
  • leonerdoleonerdo Member, Settler
    Tsukasa wrote: »
    I'm sick of them repeating "It's early alpha". When BDO was in Alpha, everyone realized it by themselves and was in fact mind-blown by how unimaginably too good will it be when fully developed(instead of hoping that it ends up good enough because it's always too early). I expected more from Ashes.

Just wanted to post this here, you don't have to tell me. I do realize that Intrepid focused their work on more important/core noncombat stuff unlike BDO and it is still too early to judge.

That video does not show a technical alpha. BDO was already completed and released in the East, and that was just the Alpha for the Westernized version of the game. It's not even subtle. That video shows the completed game: final UI, polished animations and visual effects, the release notes just talk about localization and server-start details; no bugs, no glitchy animations or physics, no placeholder art or assets.

If you think that's what the Alpha phase of development is supposed to look like, then yeah, you've set yourself up for a lot disappointment with AoC, since it'll be 2+ years before it reaches that level of quality (i.e. when the game is fully released).
  • Tsukasa wrote: »

I am sick and tired of people like you, who have no knowledge of game development and who still complain.

They have to repeatedly say that ig is still in pre-Alpha, because there are idiots who dont understand it and take everything they see in the gameplay at face-value.

Black Desert is a really bad example, because they already finished development in the east btw. Normally developers would not show you anything from the Alpha, so you should just think yourself lucky to see it. I expected better from you.
    KkvMmA5.png
  • KCDQKCDQ Member
    Thanks you all for answering me, i know developpement take times, and maybe I ask them too much to have right now.

But i wanted to said that right after the stream :) thanks you all for read me
    onfd.png

• TsukasaTsukasa Member
    You're right, that's NA. I was looking for a pre-alpha video that I've watched before but couldn't find it.
    Angel of Justice
  • noaaninoaani Member
    You're right, that's NA. I was looking for a pre-alpha video that I've watched before but couldn't find it.

That is probably because BDO never had any pre-alpha videos released - much like all non-crowdfunded games.

The earliest it had in terms of gameplay videos was mid way through the Korean beta.

If you think you remember a pre-alpha video of in game footage from BDO, you are remembering incorrectly.
  • Was there anything about the schedule?
    Do you need a ride to the Underworld?
  • ferryman wrote: »
    Was there anything about the schedule?

Nope
    KkvMmA5.png
  • NagashNagash Member, Leader of Men
    It was nice to see the alpha 0 map again ^^
    nJ0vUSm.gif

The dead do not squabble as this land’s rulers do. The dead have no desires, petty jealousies or ambitions. A world of the dead is a world at peace
  • I mean.... Ashes' Stream yesterday is looking better then the current open(?) testing phase of Crowfall xD
    KkvMmA5.png
  • TsukasaTsukasa Member
    To be fair Intrepid are doing very good and engaging with the community far more than enough. I'm sorry for the negative comment. I just wanted to see action combat that's all I care about. :( PvP with tab target is frustrating.
    Angel of Justice
  • TsukasaTsukasa Member
    and rest in peace Crowfall. Let's go and convince their devs to apply to Intrepid on CF Discord. :p
    Angel of Justice
  • noaaninoaani Member
    To be fair Intrepid are doing very good and engaging with the community far more than enough. I'm sorry for the negative comment. I just wanted to see action combat that's all I care about. :( PvP with tab target is frustrating.

The area ability Margret showed off (can't remember the name sorry) is an example of what action combat in Ashes will be like.
  • RavudhaRavudha Member
    edited March 29
    With all the features that were shown, my favourite parts were the little things that help make a world feel alive:

- the high contrast lighting in the level 3 village gave the whole scene a richness as Margaret walked around the buildings and alleys
    - ambient sounds in the village were on point
    - the improvement on strafing and side-stepping animations
    - a select number of foliage having wind movement

EDIT: oh and of course all the NPCs and creatures
  • Nagash wrote: »
    It was nice to see the alpha 0 map again ^^

:D Oh well better luck next year..
  • I am a little bit confused of the situation of Crowfall. I also watched that video and damn, it look liked the game has taken steps backwards in last two years. There was a point when the combat looked interesting and working better what I saw in this video. Like Peon said, the devs have lost the track at some point. However, I guess it is better to check some other videos as well before doing final conclusions. Expectations are not high though. :#
  • Magic ManMagic Man Member
    edited March 28
    noaani wrote: »

The area ability Margret showed off (can't remember the name sorry) is an example of what action combat in Ashes will be like.

Half right, as usual. Action combat will come in form of AoEs and all other abilities that do not require a target. That is, by no means representative of the ''action combat in ashes'' nor the hybrid - of which none were really implemented in the video. These are very early stages of tab/action integration - so one should avoid making comments regarding combat till we see some actual hybridization.
    signature.png
  • noaaninoaani Member
    edited March 29
    Magic Man wrote: »

Half right, as usual
    I said *AN* example, not *THE* example.

As in, this is *AN* ability that is considered action combat.

Steven has said outright that he considers abilities that are aimed in this manner to be action abilities, so it is perfectly valid to comment on that right now.

Your post is only appropriate if I implied that the ability demonstrated was how all action combat would be, but I made no such implication.
  • MorashtakMorashtak Member, Braver of Worlds
    It was a successful proof-of-concept - Many core concepts were shown to be working and there was no hiccups that couldn't be attributed to this being an early build and/or the VPN setup that was needed due to present circumstances.

Store assets here and there are fine as placeholders until we get the Big Reveal(tm) at launch.

Will be closely watching the evolution of the hybrid combat system.

Onward and upward!

(based on the work shown my guess is full game launch being mid-'23)
    owuEH4S.png
  • noaaninoaani Member
    Morashtak wrote: »
    (based on the work shown my guess is full game launch being mid-'23)
    Agreed.

My assumption for a very long time has been that they will have the game mostly ready to go by 2022. They should have models, animations, lighting, shadows, and most game systems fully functional by then, at which point full beta testing will start, with a release some time in 2023 - late 2023 being reasonable assuming there are one or two hiccups between now and then.
  • Morashtak wrote: »
    It was a successful proof-of-concept - Many core concepts were shown to be working and there was no hiccups that couldn't be attributed to this being an early build and/or the VPN setup that was needed due to present circumstances.

And what you mean by many core concepts? I am not sure if I saw a single one tbh. Basic running around and killing animals/monsters which is something we have already seen.

Here is few of my thoughts of the gameplay video. The environment looks still a really beautiful like it has been from the beginning. However, the characters felt, especially the movement, somehow detached from the environment and background. Combat effects were a little bit tuned down from the last video I saw which was nice, but perhaps there is still room to tune those down a little bit more? The UI looks pretty good and all those icons are clear and stylish. The skill tree reminds me of WoW's current talent system where you unlock three new skills after a certain level reached (I am not personally a fan of that). However, in Ashes there seams to be also ability points which you can use to boost those skills, which is nice.

Overall, the gameplay seams to be in a good stage when thinking this was still the pre-alpha footage. However, there is still no schedule and all the planned core mechanics or parts thereof are missing why I am concerned about the progression pace of the project.
  • DamoklesDamokles Member
    edited March 29
    ferryman wrote: »

And what you mean by many core concepts? I am not sure if I saw a single one tbh. Basic running around and killing animals/monsters which is something we have already seen.

Here is few of my thoughts of the gameplay video. The environment looks still a really beautiful like it has been from the beginning. However, the characters felt, especially the movement, somehow detached from the environment and background. Combat effects were a little bit tuned down from the last video I saw which was nice, but perhaps there is still room to tune those down a little bit more? The UI looks pretty good and all those icons are clear and stylish. The skill tree reminds me of WoW's current talent system where you unlock three new skills after a certain level reached (I am not personally a fan of that). However, in Ashes there seams to be also ability points which you can use to boost those skills, which is nice.

Overall, the gameplay seams to be in a good stage when thinking this was still the pre-alpha footage. However, there is still no schedule and all the planned core mechanics or parts thereof are missing why I am concerned about the progression pace of the project.

Core Concepts shown:
    - Node Upgrading
    - Majoral Election
    - caravan looting example
    - resource gathering
    - Construction of buildings in a node
    - dragon with tailswipe (VERY IMPORTANT!)
    KkvMmA5.png
  • Magic ManMagic Man Member
    edited March 29
    noaani wrote: »
    Magic Man wrote: »

Half right, as usual
    I said *AN* example, not *THE* example.

As in, this is *AN* ability that is considered action combat.

Steven has said outright that he considers abilities that are aimed in this manner to be action abilities, so it is perfectly valid to comment on that right now.

Your post is only appropriate if I implied that the ability demonstrated was how all action combat would be, but I made no such implication.

yh you did but nvm. If you said ''that is an example of an action ability'' that'd have been acceptable. You just said ''it's an example of what action combat in Ashes be like'' - which is, again, partially correct. They are still working on action combat and none of the things you see are ''an example of what action combat in Ashes be like''. It may be just the wrong use of word tho so it's fine.
    signature.png
  • Damokles wrote: »

Core Concepts shown:
    - Node Upgrading
    - Majoral Election
    - resource gathering

You forgot fishing and mining. ;)

These features in video looked more like tech demos than working mechanics which is why the alpha 1 might be still a far far away.
  • ferryman wrote: »
    Damokles wrote: »

Core Concepts shown:
    - Node Upgrading
    - Majoral Election
    - resource gathering

These features in video looked more like tech demos than working mechanics which is why the alpha 1 might be still a far far away.

Thats what i meant with resource gathering ;D
    KkvMmA5.png
  • Damokles wrote: »
    Damokles wrote: »

Core Concepts shown:
    - Node Upgrading
    - Majoral Election
    - resource gathering

Thats what i meant with resource gathering ;D

Damn I must be blind. :D