Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Proximity Chat: a terrible idea that is really worth considering

Comments

• Options
    ShoelidShoelid Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Please don't keep it civil, this has been very entertaining
  • Options
    NoaaniNoaani Member, Intrepid Pack
    Common mistake, I can also tell you the difference between There, They're and Their. if ya want kiddo.
    You realize, where I am from, we learn that when we are six?

Strange flex, but ok.

You could also perhaps learn how to multi-quote, if you are going to reply to parts of a post at a time. This is another thing I wasn't going to bother mentioning, but hey, if you're smart enough to have a masters degree, you're smart enough to figure that out.

Like this.
    Hey! I can even show you I have my own business at 27 yr old if you want.
    Another strange flex.

Owning a business isn't hard. Owning a successful business isn't hard. Keeping a business successful for 15 years is hard.

Flex when you've done that. Not before.
  • Options
    angelicshiyaangelicshiya Member, Leader of Men, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Vhaeyne wrote: »
    I should add lack of civility to my list and site this forum thread as an example of why we should not have PVC.

If we can't moderate ourselves in text, what chance do we have in PVC.

The way in which we communicate in transversal, and I would argue people are more grotesque and vicious behind a chat then when communicating through voice. Hence why people say the phrase "Keyboard warrior" or "I bet you wouldn't say that to my face" because in the universality of trust and truth it is much harder to be an ass to someone in real life or even over the phone because we can hear the emotions whether that be pain, sadness, disappointment, excitement and so on, and as humans we tend to react and reflect to those meanings in a way that rebates our own emotion

So no, I would argue people are less toxic when hearing another humans voice

• Options
    edited May 2021
    Noaani wrote: »
    Common mistake, I can also tell you the difference between There, They're and Their. if ya want kiddo.
    You realize, where I am from, we learn that when we are six?

Strange flex, but ok.

You could also perhaps learn how to multi-quote, if you are going to reply to parts of a post at a time. This is another thing I wasn't going to bother mentioning, but hey, if you're smart enough to have a masters degree, you're smart enough to figure that out.

Like this.
    Hey! I can even show you I have my own business at 27 yr old if you want.
    Another strange flex.

Owning a business isn't hard. Owning a successful business isn't hard. Keeping a business successful for 15 years is hard.

Flex when you've done that. Not before.

"You realize, where I am from, we learn that when we are six?
    Strange flex, but ok."

Not a flex. You brought up grammar so I just countered back with something (smartpantys)

Yeah, I don't know how to, but I am sure I can learn rather fast if I wanted to.

Owning a business isn't hard. Owning a successful business isn't hard. Keeping a business successful for 15 years is hard. Flex when you've done that. Not before.

I will flex all I want about my business, because I am damn proud of it and what I accomplished at 22. Accomplished it while still in school, and have been running it now going on 5 years with two employees. but congrats on your business as well. may we both retire by 40.
  • Options
    VhaeyneVhaeyne Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    The way in which we communicate in transversal, and I would argue people are more grotesque and vicious behind a chat then when communicating through voice. Hence why people say the phrase "Keyboard warrior" or "I bet you wouldn't say that to my face" because in the universality of trust and truth it is much harder to be an ass to someone in real life or even over the phone because we can hear the emotions whether that be pain, sadness, disappointment, excitement and so on, and as humans we tend to react and reflect to those meanings in a way that rebates our own emotion

So no, I would argue people are less toxic when hearing another humans voice

Well, I disagree.

Sure on Reddit or Twitter people are "Keyboard Warriors".

In a competitive open world environment people are ready to say whatever it takes to get an emotion response out of you. If you get your way, and we do get PVC. I hope you have thick skin.
    TVMenSP.png
    If I had more time, I would write a shorter post.
  • Options
    edited May 2021
    @Vhaeyne Yes I have thick skin, I been 1v4ing all night, I can take it. And You may disagree but your feelings don't counteract facts and how the human mind and behavioral systems works.
  • Options
    @Vhaeyne Yes I have thick skin, I been 1v4 all night, I can take it. And You may disagree but you feelings don't counteract facts and how the human min and behavioral systems works.

You have also been throwing out needless personal details about yourself in the heat of the moment. As if something is getting under your skin.
    TVMenSP.png
  • Options
    edited May 2021
    @Vhaeyne I don't believe I started with the personal details about myself, I believe it was because my age, maturity, level of education were all in question and personally attacked, so I just wanted to defend those slanderous accusations, maybe I could have let it slide, but eh.. I didn't
  • Options
    @angelicshiya
    Do you think any of those things are less in question now?
    TVMenSP.png
  • Options
    @Vhaeyne I don't know and quite frankly don't care if they are. There is nothing to prove to anyone. It was a heated conversation that got out of hand. We simply don't agree and that is fine. I hope they implement PVC and whole ass community of RPers want it as well across all the servers, you don't because well... you hate it. We will see which side Steven listens to.
  • Options
    edited May 2021
    Not a flex. You brought up grammar so I just countered back with something (smartpantys)
    Countering that you are able to do a thing that a person a quarter of your age would be expected to do is not a good counter. It makes it look like you think that is something that isn't common - why else would you use it as the object of your counter...
    Yeah, I don't know how to, but I am sure I can learn rather fast if I wanted to.
    Then take the time. The way you are writing these posts does not lend towards being taken seriously at all.

If you don't care about what you have to say here enough to learn the basics of this medium, why should the rest of us care what you have to say?
    may we both retire by 40.

Oh hell no.

I have a job I love, I'll be working until I am 70 if I have anything to say about it.

I don't work because I have to, I work because I enjoy it.

As far as I am concerned, the notion of wanting to retire at 40 nothing more than a sign of someone that hasn't found a vocation they enjoy.

I pity such people. Usually.
  • Options
    edited May 2021
    Countering that you are able to do a thing that a person a quarter of your age would be expected to do is not a good counter. It makes it look like you think that is something that isn't common - why else would you use it as the object of your counter...
    Then take the time. The way you are writing these posts does not lend towards being taken seriously at all.

If you don't care about what you have to say here enough to learn the basics of this medium, why should the rest of us care what you have to say?
    may we both retire by 40.

Oh hell no.

I have a job I love, I'll be working until I am 70 if I have anything to say about it.

As far as I am concerned, the notion of wanting to retire at 40 nothing more than a sign of someone that hasn't found a vocation they enjoy.

I pity such people. Usually.

"Countering that you are able to do a thing that a person a quarter of your age would be expected to do is not a good counter. It makes it look like you think that is something that isn't common - why else would you use it as the object of your counter..."

I don't care to nitpick about grammar errors, its happens to the best of us, get over it.

"Then take the time. The way you are writing these posts does not lend towards being taken seriously at all."

Don't care to learn to specifically quote something. If that is something you take pride in, good for you. Just don't care enough to learn on a downhill thread anyway.

I pity such people.

good, glad to hear you like to work, someone's got to do blue collar work. Good on ya!
    Not sure if you are referring to me wanting to be done by age 40 but if I am being honest I hate work, just like I hated school. I did it because my mother impressioned on me the value of an education, still hated waking up at 7am going to class. :neutral:

I don't pity people who want to retire young; the only people who I know that want to work till old age are people that are religious and think there is some afterlife to be had. Me, I believe we have one life to live and I'll be dammed if I am going to spend it working till the day I die. Traveling and experiencing the world is what life is about, spending time with the ones you love, gaming all night into the early morning because you don't work for anyone. And making your own schedule because of the financial freedom and steps you took early in life to be able to retire early.

So please, don't pity me. Only pity those that ask for your pity.
  • Options
    Don't care to learn to specifically quote something. If that is something you take pride in, good for you. Just don't care enough to learn on a downhill thread anyway.
    If this is the level of care you have about this - or any - topic, then no one has any reason to care about what your thoughts are.

I mean, you clearly don't care about your opinion here, why should we?
  • Options
    If this is the level of care you have about this - or any - topic, then no one has any reason to care about what your thoughts are.

I mean, you clearly don't care about your opinion here, why should we?

So because you are pressing on an issue like quoting, which is utterly infantile to the original topic at hand means absolutely nothing to me. Your thoughts on the subject are just as useless as mine if your metric for anti-pvc is if my opponent can quote text.

Let it go, its not that serious... :neutral:
  • Options
    SchmukySchmuky Member
    Right, let's try and keep it civil guys and gals.

While i am in favour of proximity chat (as i said in previous posts), there are arguments on both sides.

But right now both sides have the argument " i want bc i want " and "i dont want it because i dont want it". Fantastic discussion!

Not really sure if anything more can be added to this discussion just from us, so let' leave it.

Personally, i can't see how a new system for player interaction will ruin player interaction.

However, its gonna be up to the devs at this point.
    Leonin-5-E.jpg
  • Options
    Schmuky wrote: »
    Personally, i can't see how a new system for player interaction will ruin player interaction.

I would love to find you a video example of why PVC will ruin player interaction, but I worry that anything I link would be too risky for these forums.
    TVMenSP.png
  • Options
    SongcallerSongcaller Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    But right now both sides have the argument " i want bc i want " and "i dont want it because i dont want it". Fantastic discussion!

Both sides want the upper hand for Roleplay reasons. Some of us like to roleplay through action and written words while some people want to roleplay through gimmicks and voice chat. I'd rather have speech bubbles then teenagers whining in proximity chat. Reminds me of Xbox Live 1st Edition Call of Duty days. Absolute horrid time for voip communications.
    2a3b8ichz0pd.gif
  • Options
    SchmukySchmuky Member

I would love to find you a video example of why PVC will ruin player interaction, but I worry that anything I link would be too risky for these forums.

If even you think its to risky, what does that say about the video? A random guy's rant is not an argument. And honestly, you need to relax. Even if they add PVC, i still dont get why turning it off for you is such a horrible experience.
    Leonin-5-E.jpg
  • Options

If even you think its to risky, what does that say about the video? A random guy's rant is not an argument. And honestly, you need to relax. Even if they add PVC, i still dont get why turning it off for you is such a horrible experience.
    It kind of is a good argument though - as it is something that absolutely will happen, and intrepid will need to deal with issues along these lines.

Honestly, the fact that this game will have built in voice chat in groups is probably going to keep me out of all non-guild groups for the entire time I play the game. Even just in that context, people will expect it to be used, and I really can't be bothered with dealing with other people to that degree. It absolutely will be a thing people running pick up groups and raids require to be used, and as such is something that will already segregate the community.

Add in proximity voice chat, and it will keep me from getting within proximity of other players.
  • Options

If you feel I need to relax, you are reading my replys in a tone that is not there.
    TVMenSP.png
  • Options

If you feel I need to relax, you are reading my replys in a tone that is not there.

Dude, calm down!
  • Options
    @Noaani
    WOW has built in VoIP and, it is pointless there too.

Everyone uses discord exclusively. I don't even like the idea of Intrepid wasting resources on something no one will use.

The time,energy, and money that goes into VoIP severs could be used in more productive ways.
    TVMenSP.png
  • Options
    The time,energy, and money that goes into VoIP severs could be used in more productive ways.

Nodes 3 would be a nice start ;)
    2a3b8ichz0pd.gif
  • Options
    SchmukySchmuky Member
    Can you stop telling the devs on what they should and shouldn't spend their time on? Voice chat will already be in the game, the system will already be there. Its just option to use it in the open world not just raids.
    Leonin-5-E.jpg
  • Options
    We must defend our beliefs and our stances on matters which will make or break the game experience. It really is not fun listening to death threats, mum threats, dad threats, f*ck yourself threats and the myriad of other threats regularly made on Proximity Chats, Death Chats and VOIP on a regular basis in competitive environments.

We are also free to give our feedback when we feel it is needed. The Devs can make the decisions based on the feedback. The Devs aren't shy.
    2a3b8ichz0pd.gif
  • Options
    SchmukySchmuky Member
    True, so here is my last feedback, because i am done:

Game that i played where voice was implemented and was good: Sea of Thieves, Overwatch (if the group was mature), No Man's Sky (limited use due to the game but good when it happened), Plasmophobia (voice in this was essential to the atmosphere).

Games where it was bad: PUBG, Rust (didnt play but saw enough on YT), Overwatch (if the group was made of idiots), Rocket League, CoD Modern Warfare, CoD MW2, CoD MW3.

Just from this, competitive, high octane games tend to have the worst chats, and not just voice any chat. Not only that, all of them are PvP, in all of them chat is used for nothing except yelling your head off when you die.

I haven't actually seen proximity voice in MMOs before, so i actually looked it up.
    For WoW, you need to install software so no one used it
    For EvE, it was paid.

So explain to me again how "all the mmorpg you have played had it sucked" bc i cant bloody find any MMORPG that has it.

New World will have it and we will get to see how it works for them

If you think Ashes will be as intense or competitive as OW or any battle royale... what are you talking about? It's a different genre. Will voice make you hear people rage when they die? I mean probably, but that's a very small part of the game. I can't answer the same thing over and over again for people that jump in a discussion without reading what was talked before, so here is for the last bloody time.

Proximity voice, in my view, should only be active maybe 2-5m around a character, because it's , you know, proximity. It wont be a clusterfuck in the cities, because even if you have it active, you won't hear people that are further than 2-5m from you.

No, it will not make raids insane, because you will only hear what is around you. That being said, raids and sieges would happen over discord where there are a ton of people that talk at the same time. But thats fine somehow.

I honestly don't care if you are so anti-social that the whole idea of talking to another player makes you want to not play the game.

I don't care if you consider that pressing 2 buttons to mute someone or 2 buttons to disable proximity is soo much work that you cba.

You want to not have a feature because you would never use it. So no one should have because you would never use it and that's fair.

Considering that voice chat will be implemented in the game is some situations, i don't think its an insane amount of work to let it work everywhere.

You say you don't want to hear threats and shit over comms. But its not like you won't see any, as text chat will exist. Tell me, what do you do when someone sends a toxic message to you?

What is normal, either make fun of them or just perma-mute and be done. How is that different. Also let's be honest, i have only seen " I don't wanna hear BS over comms after i kill someone". In my view, PK-ing someone is toxic. I don't mean duels and stuff. When you attack someone for no reason you are toxic (which is why the corruption system is in the game). So if you know you are going to do toxic stuff that will aggravate players, why not turn it off before hand? You know what you are doing, so if it bothers you that much, might as well turn it off. Hell, the proximity voice might even stop toxic texts as the players will vent over it not in text. And its soo easy to just mute someone i dont understand how you think it will ruin the game, honestly

For people like me that like to explore and make friends and stuff, proximity will be an amazing tool. Doing world bosses, proximity will be an amazing tool.

The only people that proximity wont work for are the griefers. And i dont care about griefers
    Leonin-5-E.jpg
  • Options
    The issue is speed, communication and competition. If we are grouped for a raid or for a siege, we do not need proximity chat disrupting communication from the main communication channels. It is true sometimes people speak at the same time but in a highly competitive (Top End) raid group you will find cool calm and collective communication for those deemed responsible to have it.

I am a dueller by trade and I do glean a lot of disrespect and hatred in other MMOs which does come through text you are right, but I don't tend to watch text when I am duelling, I am busy fighting. It is a completely different experience if my opponent is yelling in my ears.

Furthermore, it is not just griefers who will benefit from no voice proximity. It will be the majority of the player base who will benefit because the systems have been tried and tested in dozens of MMOs and all you have is New World to stand by your claim that Proximity should be in Ashes.

You also do not talk tactics, alliances, diplomacy through proximity chat. You would not broadcast your plans on proximity chat. Any time you can be overheard you add risk to the ventures. You would quickly learn not to place the risks onto Caravans, World Bosses, Elite Mobs or anything where you have to group up and hope there won't be contestation.

I can not stress enough how competitive ashes will be due to the contestation or mobs and the corruption system. New World has very little to compete for competitiveness and employs gimmicks, Pay 2 Win and stolen IP to even manage to create a game.
    2a3b8ichz0pd.gif
  • Options
    SchmukySchmuky Member
    What MMOs? Which ones had proximity voice? I can't find any on google!

Will proximity be good in New World? I have no idea? But it will be a direct comparison on how it would work in Ashes.

Ashes won't be like Rust, won't be like CoD, won't be like pubg. It will be similar to New World.

If proximity fails massively in NW, will i still think that is should be in Ashes? Of course not. But that will be the actual example of proximity in an mmorpg. So let's see how it works. I will get NW to keep me busy until Ashes comes out (and instantly drop after i expect) so actually I won't discuss proximity in Ashes anymore until I test it in NW. I encourage anyone that will play NW to make a post here after we see how it is. It could suck, but I honestly expect it to be decent
    Leonin-5-E.jpg
  • Options
    There are reasons why MMOs don't have proximity chat. You're lucky you have VOIP planned for the taverns. New World has changed the parameters of PvP so I'm not too clued up on New World at this time. I'm not sure what the state of open world PvP is in for the launch. I doubt New World has Corruption or Bounty Hunters though so proximity may or may not work. You might face the teenage whiners if you attack someone or you could face the player rebuttals if they kill you. I would appreciate further feedback on the New World test though.
    2a3b8ichz0pd.gif
  • Options
    Neurath wrote: »
    I can not stress enough how competitive ashes will be due to the contestation or mobs and the corruption system.

I think if it was stressed enough these RP purists would be on the pantheon forums.
    TVMenSP.png