Options

Alpha 2 pricing

StickyRubbStickyRubb Member
edited July 8 in General Discussion
Hey,
I've been a loyal AoC follower for 4 years now. I've watched every livestream and watch all the creators on YouTube and I trust Intrepid studios in their decision-making.

BUT

Selling cheaper access to A2 when A2 is right around the corner is unfair to the people that bought A2 access years ago. Back then the ONLY way to get into A2 was by spending a minimum of 250 dollars. Now they're stripping the package of its skins, Embers and subscription time and start selling just the A2 keys. Many people don't care about the cosmetics that much and would've rather bought just the key, and you can't convince me that Intrepid doesn't realize this.

I understand that game development is unpredictable and that they hadn't anticipated the progress in their server capabilities, but this doesn't force a studio to sell access for a lower price. This move just makes it seem like the original A2 buyers were squeezed to fund the project to where it is now, so that Intrepid can now sell access for a more reasonable price tag.

My suggestion (besides refunds), which I think is reasonable to all parties, is the following:
Let new A2 buyers in at a later date.

The 100k+ people that already bought A2 access set foot in Verra at the end of September.
The new buyers join the adventure... a month late? Two weeks late?
It doesn't have to be a significant amount of time, but it would definitely give us older backers a feeling that we've gotten our money's worth out of our larger purchase. We can start molding the world to our heart's content while new buyers have to watch from the sideline for a minute. Intrepid could even do a server wipe before the new A2 buyers get access, if that'd make it more fair to them.

They've said that they'll try to be fair in their pricing, so we'll have to wait and see what the price will be.
All in all I hope Intrepid keeps being an open and honest studio, as this is the first time I've felt disappointed in them, and may it hopefully be the last.

Thoughts?

Comments

• Options
    RipteyeRipteye Member
    There is a thread on this already, and Intrepid does not owe you anything. You chose to purchase when you did regardless of the tactics Intrepid may or may not have used.
  • Options
    wakkytabbakywakkytabbaky Member
    edited July 8
    the way i see it as long as the keys cost 100usd then those that bought the voyager pack dont really have much to complain about.

75% of people will most likely buy something from the cosmetic store at some point cos face it everyone does so theres value in the embers we got. have to pay for sub time anyway so first 6 months is covered. if you add the game time and embers alone that comes to 175usd. so alpha 2 + betas and cosmetics comes to 75 dollars. even if you dont care about the cosmectics you didnt pay that much in itself for alpha 2 only difference voyagers ( myself included) have done is just pay for cosmetic store credit and sub upfront

now not saying since its only 75 bucks for the remaining stuff that it should be that cheap to get in now but just saying the voyager people aint getting ripped off and that they got a good deal.

i get where everyone is coming from about the re release of keys and honestly the keys shouldnt go back on sale until after A2 launches and is stable because as it stands theres over 100k people and its gonna be a shit show on launch as is.

now if IS turns around and throws it out for less than 100usd than that will end up causing more harm than good
  • Options
    George_BlackGeorge_Black Member, Intrepid Pack
    Thoughts?
    Anybody that cares for so much matters needs to go for a long walk and think about their lifes choices and come up with a new plan.
  • Options
    George_BlackGeorge_Black Member, Intrepid Pack
    edited July 8
    Here is another thought.
    Maybe you should start a topic about the features of AoC and its development, a game that tries to bring back the joy of playing mmos, after 2 decades of crap, instead of talking about how IS should run their business.
    You have one lame topic in your account and frankly it was a mistake that I wasted my time here.
  • Options
    Will they allow us to purchase gifts for friends when they open the A2's? I have a lot of close friends that i would like to gift A2 access to.
  • Options
    RipteyeRipteye Member
    Will they allow us to purchase gifts for friends when they open the A2's? I have a lot of close friends that i would like to gift A2 access to.

I like that idea tbh.
  • Options
    ChicagoChicago Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    You didn't buy alpha 2, you bought a bundle that includes alpha 2, stand alone keys won't get the bundle, no one forced you to buy it

Furthermore, the more testers, the faster the game releases
  • Options
    SengardenSengarden Member
    I'm sorry, but paying for exclusivity, or suggesting that your purchase - because it already came with a bunch of other stuff with a real world value of almost $200 that you willingly and knowingly paid for in addition to A2 access - should grant you some sort of post-purchase early access is so unbelievably toxic. Gated access? Really? This isn't even a final product, and gated access is bad enough for those.

It's an alpha test. You paid $250 to get into an alpha test, and didn't even stop to consider how they were getting you to spend so much. Did you even want $100 in cosmetic shop currency? No? Then why did you buy it? Maybe you should spend the time you took to write this forum post reconsidering how you spend your money if you're going to be this sour over market-price fluctuations and bundled-vs-solo product availability based on supply and demand.
  • Options
    OtrOtr Member
    The game looking better and better, the price of Alpha 2 access should increase.
    And those late comers should get for free as part of the price also some cosmetics, especially female outfits, a few of them, because I noticed people like them a lot.
  • Options
    TorsteinTorstein Member, Leader of Men, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Like Ripteye already said, there is already a thread on this topic. With that said, there is a difference in buying a supporter pack (with many different perks, one of which being alpha access) to help fund a kickstarter project get realized compared to said project offering a pure key to a testing phase. People saying they have bought alpha 2 access for 250$ is disregarding everything else these supporter packs came with and the fact that they were there to support the game come to reality.

We should really try to remember that the ones of us that has bought supporter packs are a minority, not everyone is following games that are in the works and let alone being able to put 250$ towards said unreleased game.
  • Options
    OtrOtr Member
    edited July 9
    Torstein wrote: »
    not everyone is following games that are in the works and let alone being able to put 250$ towards said unreleased game.
    If they pay less, they should get limited access: 5 months of A2 testing.
  • Options
    unknownsystemerrorunknownsystemerror Member, Phoenix Initiative, Royalty, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Ripteye wrote: »
    I like that idea tbh.

Gifting has been brought up in the past. Just like alternate ways of paying for a sub (ie. subtime gift cards) and others. That way lies RMT and an ability to exchange in game assets for money. Intrepid is against RMT and gifting is not something they currently allow, and from past comments will entertain.
    south-park-rabble-rabble-rabbl-53b58d315aa49.jpg
  • Options
    RipteyeRipteye Member
    Sengarden wrote: »
    I'm sorry, but paying for exclusivity, or suggesting that your purchase - because it already came with a bunch of other stuff with a real world value of almost $200 that you willingly and knowingly paid for in addition to A2 access - should grant you some sort of post-purchase early access is so unbelievably toxic. Gated access? Really? This isn't even a final product, and gated access is bad enough for those.

It's an alpha test. You paid $250 to get into an alpha test, and didn't even stop to consider how they were getting you to spend so much. Did you even want $100 in cosmetic shop currency? No? Then why did you buy it? Maybe you should spend the time you took to write this forum post reconsidering how you spend your money if you're going to be this sour over market-price fluctuations and bundled-vs-solo product availability based on supply and demand.

This. You are not special because you made a decision to purchase something that does not even exist yet.
  • Options
    LineagerLineager Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    edited July 9
    I'm glad that there will be new A2 keys and many people who could not afford to buy $250 packages will join us.
    But still, I also understand that 80% of people who bought A2 packages would not have done so earlier if they knew that Intrepids would release them before the launch or at the beginning of the launch of A2. Most of them were not interested in cosmetics and monthly subscriptions included in the packs.
  • Options
    NoaaniNoaani Member, Intrepid Pack
    Lineager wrote: »
    I'm glad that there will be new A2 keys and many people who could not afford to buy $250 packages will join us.
    But still, I also understand that 80% of people who bought A2 packages would not have done so earlier if they knew that Intrepids would release them before the launch or at the beginning of the launch of A2. Most of them were not interested in cosmetics and monthly subscriptions included in the packs.

I fully fall in to this catagory.

However, I purchased a thing from Intrepid at an agreed upon price. If I get the thing I paid for, I have no reason to complain that someone else for the same thing cheaper.

I got the purchase I signed up for.
  • Options
    Here is another thought.
    Maybe you should start a topic about the features of AoC and its development, a game that tries to bring back the joy of playing mmos, after 2 decades of crap, instead of talking about how IS should run their business.
    You have one lame topic in your account and frankly it was a mistake that I wasted my time here.

I'm not talking about a lack of quality in the game itself. I think Ashes is going to turn out amazing. I'm strictly talking about practices that could come across as predatory.
  • Options
    Sengarden wrote: »

I mentioned this in my post already, but at the time those expensive packages were the only way to get access. We had no clue that Intrepid would sell keys BEFORE A2 would launch. Which is what it's looking like right now. I'm pretty sure most of us were under the impression that buying a large package was the only way to be there at the START of A2.
  • Options
    StickyRubbStickyRubb Member
    edited July 9
    Lineager wrote: »

My thoughts exactly, and I fail to see why so many people can't fathom this thought process.
  • Options
    RipteyeRipteye Member
    edited July 9
    Doesn't matter you made the decision to purchase when you did. They have the right to change the price and what is or is not included whenever they so choose.
  • Options
    Doesn't matter you made the decision to purchase when you did. They have the right to change the price and what is or is not included whenever they so choose.

I don't understand your mentality on this. It might be legal, yes. They might have the right, yes. We're talking about fairness. Is it transparent and fair to their existing 'playerbase'? I think it isn't. I'm just voicing my opinion because I'm passionate about this project, and I think it could change the genre for good. An open and honest communication is part of this.
  • Options
    StickyRubb wrote: »

I don't understand your mentality on this. It might be legal, yes. They might have the right, yes. We're talking about fairness. Is it transparent and fair to their existing 'playerbase'?.
    Sure it is.

Did you get the item you intended to purchase, for the price you agreed to purchase it for?

If you did, then it was a completely fair, transparent exchange.
  • Options
    HopeHope Member, Alpha One, Adventurer

Sure. They have the right to change the price, and what is or isn't included. However, as a purchaser of that product/access, we have every right to voice our dissatisfaction if we feel Intrepid misled us when making that purchase.

The fact of the matter is, Intrepid announced that they were ending their sales of A2 access, indicating that this would be your last chance to purchase access if you're interested. Those people had to make a choice of whether to buy access in a pack that included game time, cosmetics, embers etc, for a minimum of 250$. There was no other choice to guarantee access. They didn't offer the option to simply buy access as a standalone product, and Intrepid never stated this would be an option pre Alpha 2. You were left with a choice of access for 250$ or no access at all.

Yes, they did mention that they may, or may not offer alternative ways to purchase into the Alpha 2 testing phase at a later time. However, there was no clear indication this would happen before the Alpha begins.

Intrepid are arguing that because of their new networking solutions, including their dynamic grid server meshing, they can now support more players for the testing phase. However, we already know that there are more than 100K+ A2 keyholders. Are you saying that 100K+ is not enough testers for the initial phase? Do they really need more testers then that for the 1st day of Alpha 2?

Also, even if their new networking solutions might allow more players in an area without setting the servers on fire, this still doesn't technically increase the server/realm capacity. Nodes, and the content accompanying nodes are designed to host a certain number of players, even with server meshing and dynamic gridding, you cant just suddenly cram 50k players into the Riverlands on the same realm. The game functionally can't support that amount of players in a limited play space.

I think the reason a lot of people are unhappy with Intrepid announcing the re-opening of key sales is that we assumed they would re-open sales after the first initial testing wave when tester numbers were starting to dwindle. This would make sense in order to maintain healthy testing numbers, while also not upsetting the initial backers that purchased access before they initially closed the sales.

Just my two cents. I'm a A1 backer, and I'm happy with my purchase, but I understand the frustration of some of the people who dropped 250$+ for access under "false pretense".
  • Options
    edited July 9
    Hope wrote: »
    The fact of the matter is, Intrepid announced that they were ending their sales of A2 access, indicating that this would be your last chance to purchase access if you're interested.

If that is how you took their statement, that is on you for misunderstanding.
    Our pre-order packs were intended to be a way for players to support the project by providing an opportunity to collect exclusive cosmetic appearances that are used in creating the world of Verra, while respecting our commitment to zero-tolerance pay-to-win whatsoever. As we draw closer to our Alpha Two and Beta testing periods, we want to ensure a glorious experience for our players who have signed up to help make Ashes of Creation the MMORPG it deserves to be. To that end, we have decided to discontinue the packs until such time as our internal and/or external testing supports the admission of additional testers. We will continue to update our community when more ways become available to access Alpha Two or Beta testing through our communication channels.
    That is what they actually said, and it contains a specific point that access will start up again at a future point.
  • Options
    GithalGithal Member
    this sounds like a common saying in my country: "I am good as long as my neighbor has it worse than me!".

Why not just be happy that someone else will be able to get the A2 access for cheaper, even tho you didnt?
  • Options
    AszkalonAszkalon Member
    Some People on YouTube Channels are very confident,

if more Alpha Two Keys come out in the sooner or futher Future which are solely for Access -> then those will most likely have the same Price than the Alpha Two Access Keys of the Past which were solely for Access and not for anything cosmetic.
    a50whcz343yn.png
    ✓ Occasional Roleplayer
    ✗ Not looking for a guild atm
  • Options
    edited July 9
    Aszkalon wrote: »
    Some People on YouTube Channels are very confident

Well, if people on YouTube said it, then it MUST be true.

The problem with this is that not all packs had the cost of the access offered work out to be the same.
  • Options
    RipteyeRipteye Member
    edited July 9
    StickyRubb wrote: »

I don't understand your mentality on this. It might be legal, yes. They might have the right, yes. We're talking about fairness. Is it transparent and fair to their existing 'playerbase'? I think it isn't. I'm just voicing my opinion because I'm passionate about this project, and I think it could change the genre for good. An open and honest communication is part of this.

I don't understand your mentality. They have been honest this whole time. You just were not paying attention. They reserved the right to sell A2 keys again if they thought necessary.
  • Options
    RipteyeRipteye Member

Sure. They have the right to change the price, and what is or isn't included. However, as a purchaser of that product/access, we have every right to voice our dissatisfaction if we feel Intrepid misled us when making that purchase.

The fact of the matter is, Intrepid announced that they were ending their sales of A2 access, indicating that this would be your last chance to purchase access if you're interested. Those people had to make a choice of whether to buy access in a pack that included game time, cosmetics, embers etc, for a minimum of 250$. There was no other choice to guarantee access. They didn't offer the option to simply buy access as a standalone product, and Intrepid never stated this would be an option pre Alpha 2. You were left with a choice of access for 250$ or no access at all.

Yes, they did mention that they may, or may not offer alternative ways to purchase into the Alpha 2 testing phase at a later time. However, there was no clear indication this would happen before the Alpha begins.

Intrepid are arguing that because of their new networking solutions, including their dynamic grid server meshing, they can now support more players for the testing phase. However, we already know that there are more than 100K+ A2 keyholders. Are you saying that 100K+ is not enough testers for the initial phase? Do they really need more testers then that for the 1st day of Alpha 2?

Also, even if their new networking solutions might allow more players in an area without setting the servers on fire, this still doesn't technically increase the server/realm capacity. Nodes, and the content accompanying nodes are designed to host a certain number of players, even with server meshing and dynamic gridding, you cant just suddenly cram 50k players into the Riverlands on the same realm. The game functionally can't support that amount of players in a limited play space.

I think the reason a lot of people are unhappy with Intrepid announcing the re-opening of key sales is that we assumed they would re-open sales after the first initial testing wave when tester numbers were starting to dwindle. This would make sense in order to maintain healthy testing numbers, while also not upsetting the initial backers that purchased access before they initially closed the sales.

Just my two cents. I'm a A1 backer, and I'm happy with my purchase, but I understand the frustration of some of the people who dropped 250$+ for access under "false pretense".

They should not have spent the money then in my opinion, if they have buyer's remorse, they need to learn how to guard their wallets.
  • Options

I couldn't agree more, Hope. You hit the nail on the head.
  • Options
    TexasTexas Member
    Since there are still people arguing this point:
    5wvpi5sz2nvc.jpg