Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Out of Combat Class Interactions (Immersion)

With the classes, flagging system, pvp, node system, and other things having been explained or at least mentioned to some degree the subject of <em>stealth</em> game play has been pretty untouched. In most MMO's those that pick the archetype of rogue are only given opportunities to showoff their abilities during combat. This could be said for all classes. Very rarely do games allow individuals to use their abilities around town or other environments that combat wouldn't really be prevalent. Now, obviously, some classes would probably see less benefits to these interactions than others (Ie. Not entirely sure what a Summoner would be able to do that a Mage wouldn't be [though that could be chalked up to me not being super creative]) but overall I believe having classes able to do 'something' out of combat pretty immersive. Now, I understand in the gameplay video involving the mage she is able to light up a room/open a dungeon entrace/float over gaps in the environment, this is probably as close to something I imagine we can get to out of combat class/environment interactions. What I imagine though is, let's say, a Rogue having the ability to move around town maybe more stealthily/easily than other classes. Maybe they can jimmy locks and open doors to houses/secret paths through cities, pickpocket or something along those lines. The only problem here would be that it would wall off other classes from having the same experience and, for those that like to have everything available to them, this could be seen as a con. I would argue that this would ultimately be a <em>pro</em> as it will make the gamer's experience more unique and suited to the choices they've made. Another idea would be maybe a warrior being able to break down doors, intimidate npc's or something of the like [Again, I'm not very creative.]

Basically, I am hoping I can be a rogue in and out of combat. Using daggers/bow or whatever is all fun and good but if after combat I put away my weapons and I'm just another "Hero" then I'm not really much different than anyone else.

What does everyone think? As I said in my post It looks as if classes 'will' have some of these interactions but what do you imagine they'll be? And if you think my ideas are a bit off from what the video portrayed and disagree with me, why? I am interested to hearing everyone's thoughts.

Comments

• Options
    I really like the idea. In DCUO (DC Universe Online) you could choose between 3 movement style (fly, acrobatic and speed) and every style could give you special movement pattern. It was very funny to go around the city and see party member moving in their unique way.

As seen in this <a href="https://youtu.be/KHTWhIF5cqI?t=46s">video</a> the mage is moving with her own "skill style". The idea we all got is "every class has his own way to do things". Hope will get that.

If you played D&D, you can't be less than happy about needing a class to do specific tasks.

Edit:
    Forgot to say -> The only way to make me feel as a rogue is to give me the chance to be a rogue.
    If the difference is the skill tree/rotation, I'm <strong>covering</strong> the role of rogue (mechanics).
    If the difference is the way I go around (animation, move set, appearance etc.) I'm <strong>being</strong> a rogue (feelings).
  • Options
    Love these out of combat ideas but, these tend to have a lot of little complications which make some players very unhappy. But, IMO, life isn't fair so stop trying to please everyone and just make something amazing, some will hate it and some will love it.
  • Options
    [quote quote=10422]Love these out of combat ideas but, these tend to have a lot of little complications which make some players very unhappy. But, IMO, life isn’t fair so stop trying to please everyone and just make something amazing, some will hate it and some will love it.

[/quote]
    Why try to please everyone when you know you can't? I like OP's idea, being less-law abiding but still within the law and stealing things as a rogue would add another depth of immersion to the game, like wise warriors are always angry/getting drunk/frequent bars. And as Rogues are supposed to be slippery and dodgy I feel like it would require certain dungeons you might heavily consider taking a rogue over, say, your second ranger/ranger since there might be hidden paths or doors that might lead to more loot for the party overall, that you wouldn't have been able to access or even see if you hadn't had a Rogue in your party. Just my .5 cents.