Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!

Addons?

Has anyone seen/heard where they discuss the possibility of addons? I haven't and was wondering if anyone has any information about it. 

Also, do you guys think addons would help a game like this? I think addons ( when managed properly) help a game climb to the next level.

Comments

• Official answer:
  • ArchivedUserArchivedUser Guest
    edited September 2017
    I think add-ons have a place but a well designed UI renders them obsolete. 

If you need an add-on to tell you what buttons to hit and when to hit them, that's your business. But an add-on to fixed a busted UI should be precluded by a decent one already in place
  • Karthos said:
    I think add-ons have a lace but a well designed UI renders them obsolete. 

If you need an add-on to tell you what buttons to hit and when to hit them, that's your business. But an add-on to fixed a busted UI should be precluded by a decent one already in place
    Agreed if the UI is well designed, addons will not be necessary
  • I dislike add-ons generally. But RP add-ons really add to it for me.
  • Hopefully the UI in place will be customizable enough to accommodate most needs. The thing I'm worried about is people riding the coat tails of the other 7 or 39. Without an add-on to monitor player output it just puts the leader of the party/raid in a more difficult situation to remove people hindering the group.
  • It's just for cheating

• I honestly hope they stick to this policy, its not so much UI type addons that annoy me but the type that reveal, harvest nodes etc. There is a particular addon in ESO that reveals harvest nodes, chests, thieves caches etc. People find the locations while they explore and then upload those locations, others then go download said harvest maps and viola its all displayed on the in game map for them and they did nothing.
    Some will argue that they don't have time to learn where to find the best spots to harvest, I say it is people complaining they don't have time to play that have slowly eroded MMORPG's thus the games we have today. I know many will see red at that statement but that is my opinion of it.
    Say no to addons.
  • Karthos said:
    I think add-ons have a place but a well designed UI renders them obsolete. 

Well said. Agree with that 110%...!
  • only the lazy need add-ons, lol
  • No in game parser, no add-ons allowed to correct this.  Though with combat this simplistic it isn't worth fighting over anymore.
  • lexmax said:
    Official answer:
    There really isn't much to say after this. They may allow some small cosmetic addons but don't count on anything.

If no one has addons then we will ALL be on a level playing field. So no advantage because you have something that tells you when your ultimate it up or when to hit a certain button.
  • As a crafter i prefer addons. Usually there is alot of bookkeeping, categorizing, filtering, locking, repeating etc which never come to regular UI. Neither i expect game devs to spend into these, but let players code them as addons.
  • To allow addons, they have to open up the API, which they have said they have no plans to do. The best intentioned addons then open the door for those with more nefarious agendas towards botting and speed hacking. So while people can wish, don't expect them to change their stance anytime soon. And I know that someone is going to fire back with "we will just make third-party addons anyways and use them".
    Realize they are using active detection systems to thwart just such behaviour, so if you want to risk losing a valid account, go for it.
  • To allow addons, they have to open up the API, which they have said they have no plans to do. The best intentioned addons then open the door for those with more nefarious agendas towards botting and speed hacking.
    If this is really their reasoning then it is absurdly short sighted.  Bots and hacks happen regardless of parts of the API being open, to use that as an excuse for anything is silly.
  • mycroft said:
    To allow addons, they have to open up the API, which they have said they have no plans to do. The best intentioned addons then open the door for those with more nefarious agendas towards botting and speed hacking.
    If this is really their reasoning then it is absurdly short sighted.  Bots and hacks happen regardless of parts of the API being open, to use that as an excuse for anything is silly.
    Bots and Hacks can happen so you must make it as easy as possible ?
    edited September 2017
    mycroft said:
    To allow addons, they have to open up the API, which they have said they have no plans to do. The best intentioned addons then open the door for those with more nefarious agendas towards botting and speed hacking.
    Bots and Hacks can happen so you must make it as easy as possible ?
    More like, bots and hacks will happen so don't not do something that's worth doing just because it might enable them.
  • Addons can be good, or they can be bad.

Personally think they game should be done well enough to make them a non issue. But that also requires the devs to listen and add functionality where needed based on community feed back.

That being said, fuck damage meters and parsers. Hate those things and I did my share of server first raiding. 
  • If Intrepid makes the UI as customizable  as they say they are then there will be no need of addons :)
    edited September 2017
    Camnesia said:

Agreed if the UI is well designed, addons will not be necessary

So I would modify your statement:
    If the UI is highly customizable, and offer lots of options, addons will not be necessary.

About parsers. I would like parsers to be an option for those that wish to use them to improve themselves. However, they should be optional and "private", so you wouldn't be able to see DPS of other people around you, but only your own personal DPS.

This I strongly believe is the most fair compromise. Optional "personal only" parsers.