Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!

Class Utility Question

This may have been answered elsewhere, but I must have missed it and I'm curious. In the last stream Intrepid showed some of the class utilities being able to cleanse, track etc. With there being a primary and secondary archetypes for classes, is a characters utility limited to only the primary archetype? Or can you also apply your secondary archetypes utility too?

Thanks~!

Comments

• You will only have access to the utilities of your primary archetype
  • Ahh, makes sense. I wasn't entirely sure. If you did have the utilities of each archetype I guess that would limit the need of certain classes on expeditions and what not
  • Yeah and I am pretty sure Intrepid doesn't want that. They have fancied the idea of classes having more than one utility, though. And utility items like a spy glass (telescope).
  • Oh cool! The more I hear about AoC, the more excited I get!
  • ArchivedUserArchivedUser Guest
    edited September 2017
    Small clarification. You will only get the full skill on your primary Archetype, however your secondary utility skill can be augmented onto another skill. So while a Cleric/Fighter would be able to cleanse the group, a Fighter/Cleric who augments for it would be able to cleanse themselves.

From a different thread:
    Dygz Member ✭✭✭✭✭
    3:32AM edited 7:27AM
    Jeff B said at PAX that utility skills will available as augments.
    So, yes, a Tank/Cleric should be able to use a version of Cleanse - though it may not be as powerful as the primary skill.

The heals of a Tank/Cleric will be self-only heals, so would not really be fulfilling the role of party healer.

@Nocht 
    I think most frequently, it will be the players choosing when to use those utilities.
    Even in the PAX demo, you could choose to slog through the damage from the poisoned water or mist, rather than relying on the Mage and Cleric utilities.
    But, you might also miss hidden portions of a dungeon if you don't use utilities to find or unlock those areas.
  • ArchivedUserArchivedUser Guest
    edited September 2017
    I didn't ask and Jeff didn't say exactly how the utilities would work as augments, just that the utility skills from the secondary class would be available for players who have dual-classed.

The devs have stated the the Cleric healing augments are all self-only heals.
    I expect a Cleanse augment would be a weaker version than the primary skill, but I don't know whether that would mean Cleanse as an augment is self-only or whether it would simply weaken the damage of the mist rather than fully dismiss the damage.

But, I think that would be cool if the augment versions of the utility skills were self-only.
    We should ask if they will share that detail.
  • Dygz said:
    I didn't ask and Jeff didn't say exactly how the utilities would work as augments, just that the utility skills from the secondary class would be available for players who have dual-classed.

The devs have stated the the Cleric healing augments are all self-only heals.
    I expect a Cleanse augment would be a weaker version than the primary skill, but I don't know whether that would mean Cleanse as an augment is self-only or whether it would simply weaken the damage of the mist rather than fully dismiss the damage.

But, I think that would be cool if the augment versions of the utility skills were self-only.
    We should ask if they will share that detail.
    That would make sense and follow the secondary class heals being self only.

I do have to ask though......as a Fighter/Cleric, just exactly how do you stay true to augmenting your primary class while gaining a self heal? Even a self heal sounds like a 'new' skill, not an augment.
  • It's not unusual for the these devs to have odd wording.
    Also I have to go back and check to see what the specific words are rather than paraphrasing, but...

Examples of augments from secondary classes have been Mage/Teleport, Cleric/self-only heals and Rogue/Invisibility.
    I'm hoping, going forward, we can get a clearer example than Rush/Teleport.
    Invisibility as an augment would be new for a Tank/Rogue, but not a "skill" we could slot on the hot-bar by itself. We'd have to attach it to a primary skill.
  • Dygz said:

So a rogue / mage comes and detects terrain, but instead of full set of flying rocks, only 2 rocks show, with much distance in between them.

"Ow crap, should have gone full mage"... rogue says, turns around and slowly walks away.
  • Most likely, the solution for that would be to detect terrain each time you jump to a new rock, rather than detecting terrain just once.