Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!

Microtransactions

ArchivedUserArchivedUser Guest
edited September 2017 in Ashes of Creation Design
Any news about the microtransactions?

I'm really waiting for it. I'm not paying a monthly fee for a game to then be asked for more money for it's content even if it's only skins and cosmetics.
Damm make the box cost money + monthly fee, I find it more fair then microtransactions in a monthly fee game.

That's free games economy, not tag priced ones and absolutely not the subscription based games... just thinking about it makes me laugh... and vomit

It's really sad every game is doing that mindless stuff now and people buy into it (even blizzard lol). I don't buy into it so I'm really waiting to see their take on it. 

I'm completely hyped about this game, I'm trying not to be but you got me. Please don't disappoint me and many others with this microtransaction s***. 

This is just money grabbing vampire schemes. It's sad and obvious.

Comments

• mazh said:
    Any news about the microtransactions?
    I'll tell you for .99¢
  • Sorry, I'd rather prefer just a monthly fee without box price and have optional cosmetics in the cash shop.
  • ArchivedUserArchivedUser Guest
    edited September 2017
    you're fine with a monthly fee game with microtransactions?

here pay 15$ for this month, give me 15$ more this month, oh you want that cool looking skin? give me 10$ more, no $ this month? unninstall it mate

Why I ask 15$ a month? To add content every month
    Why I ask 10$ more for a skin? Because I can nowadays. Shut up and give me money.
  • I do see your point. If you cannot achieve the look you want in-game, then you might feel "railroaded" into the cosmetic store. We do need Intrepid to clarify the cost of skins in the store, and whether there are in-game alternatives to obtaining similar skins.
  • mazh said:
    you're fine with a monthly fee game with microtransactions?

here pay 15$ for this month, give me 15$ more this month, oh you want that cool looking skin? give me 10$ more, no $ this month? unninstall it mate

Why I ask 15$ a month? To add content every month
    Why I ask 10$ more for a skin? Because I can nowadays. Shut up and give me money.
    Do you realize that the box cost for the game will most likely be much higher then the price of a costume?

Costumes are optional, so no, I wouldn't pay a box price in addition to a monthly fee just to be able to play dress up. If I want to, paying a few bucks for a costume once is no problem at all.
  • Ashes has no box cost and DLC cost will not cost more than the subscription fee.

• lexmax said:
    Ashes has no box cost and DLC cost will not cost more than the subscription fee.

I know, but OP is speculating that there should rather be a box cost + subscription instead of a cosmetic item mall, even though the box cost (if there was any) would most likely be higher than what the average person would spend (or "need" to spend) on the item mall.

If there was a box cost, I wouldn't estimate it lower than 29,99 USD, while a costume usually goes for less than 10 USD (the only exception I know is Black Desert where costumes are largely overpriced).

Simply trying to explain some logic to OP that 29,99+ > 10.
    edited September 2017
    @FliP I talked about the box cost yes, that was just my opinion.

I'm asking your opinion about microtransactions in a monthly fee game with no cost box, do you find that fair?
  • Yes, I find it more than fair. If I was a child with poor impulse control and access to Mommy's credit card I might have an issue, but since I am an adult I have absolutely no problem with an optional, cosmetic only cash shop for the game developers to supplement their income on the game. Note the optional, just because they offer the Magenta Panther for sale, doesn't mean you have to buy one.
  • That argument that just because they offer you don't have to buy it, I don't think it really works in a monthly paid game.
    You are already supplementing the game literally every month, why should you also have content behind another payment wall?

We are not discussing if those magenta panther are worth it, we are discussing content behind a payment wall that is already behind a montly payment wall.

"Because they need money to design other content" - that is the reason for the monthly subscription. What's the reason for microtransactions?
  • What's the reason for microtransactions?

To make you look pretty. Your argument that cosmetic items constitute "content" is weak kung-fu. My kung-fu is strong, yours is weak!
    Image result for absolutely fabulous gif

• Without microtransactions they can't make you pretty? ok
    Cosmetics is not content? ok
  • As long as there is no P2W (and Intrepid was adamant in claiming there will not be) I'm fine in cosmetics being for sale.

Intrepid already said there will be plenty of cosmetics available from just playing the game from drops, achievements and whatnot, so if you don't want to pay for your cosmetics then spend time in game and you will get plenty.

If you are lazy, then pay for them, I'm completely fine with that.
  • I dont understand the diskusion ... There comes no game changing items ... Also there is no matter! 
    And look at your reallive ... You bring your car to the maintanence and pay for the reperation ... When you now like to get cleand it or something else you must pay extra... There are everywhere such things and it is ok so like people like.to have all all all with paying less less less .... Ane by the way u can extract designs ans sell this items on market
  • In the long run the guy next to you looking a bit shinier saves you money. You should thank those who purchase optional, non-game changing content, they're supporting Intrepid further and in my eyes, being justly rewarded for it.
  • Buy all the shiny things! *My wallet weeps for me*
  • @Argentdawn I think they call people like us Cash Cows. 
  • A similar topic came up a while back and I still feel the same way. 

Personally I dislike the idea of a cash shop all together. Why would a sub game have another cash barrier? The way I see it, mounts, weapon effects, and costumes are all items that the developer took time to add into the game while you were paying your sub. 

What if Netflix added an extra episode of house of cards or Orange is the new black for people who pay another $1 or $2? Would that be OK? what if the episodes were just behind the scenes, bloopers, or an episode that did not add to the overall story arch? That's basically the "it's only cosmetic" argument. If Netflix or HBO added any bloopers, behind the scenes, extra episodes that do not affect the overall story and as microtransactions then is that OK? To me the Answer is clear, and it's NO. Focus your efforts on making the game better rather than finding new and creative ways to nickle and dime the costumer. Going up against a giant like WOW and rising games like ffxiv, you don't want to shoot yourself in the foot. 

I know that they are two different mediums and therefore comparisons are always tough but that's how I think of it. I never touch the cash shop and don't plan to. The moment I feel pressured to do so is the moment I leave a sub game. The ONLY time I am OK with a microtransaction is if it's to collect donations. i.e. make a cute pet and send ALL of the funds to whatever charity you pledged it to. 
  • @Meudestroy You're comparing apples and oranges. A better Metaphor would be to say what if Netflix added custom backgrounds to it's interface (like steam). It doesn't lock any shows behind a payment wall, just adds flair to the interface. 

No one complains that steam content is locked behind a payment wall because you can buy backgrounds. Intrepid has already said that the outfits you find will be equally flashy, no need to pay to look good. 
  • Just because you buy the game or pay monthly for it, it doesn't mean you need to get everything. We literally had the same discussion over at BDO before the game launched, so it is always the same kind of people lurking around.

Yes, you should get all the content, you paid for it. However, all the cosmetics? If everyone had everything just because "I paid for it, I have the right to get it, now!!" what would be the point in cosmetics then? Everyone would look the same, again, because everyone has access to the same cosmetic items and will follow a meta that looks "cool".

edited September 2017
    Old Schoolers remember when a sub bought you everything in game (meaning it was possible to be obtained by playing the game - not that you would automatically get it) and I feel the pain.  But ever since mircotransactions were introduced it just seems to be the modern way, even though I would not call them "mircro" as in most games it seems to be "macro".
  • One can see it this way: Every item they sell in the cash shop only, is a missed opportunity to add the item into the story. Which makes the game world more hollow.

Thats why i'd prefer to spend a 30$ box cost over 5$ for cash shop items.
    Even if i wouldn't even want any of these items!
  • Cosmetics are usually an optional thing. Keep in mind those are designed and modeled as well. I don't mind paying for costumes even with a subscription model, in exchange I have high expectations on the costume's aesthetics.
    All about those aesthetics.
  • As long as the items in the cash shop stay just for cosmetic purposes, I see no problem. Some people are willing to pay extra to look cooler. As Steven has said time and time again there will be no pay to win, so selling some cosmetics in a store is fine with me.
  • Are we speaking abut this game or a new version of Dress upp barbie?
    Cosmetics is not content it dont change game play
  • Paddok said:
    Cosmetics is not content it dont change game play
    If they add Horse head masks it does.

Cause in that case I'll be targeting all horse headed people all day long, and my game play changes crucially....
  • Why not argue, why do I have to spend the time and therefore the subscription fee to level up? If I am paying 15 bucks to use this character, can't I already have all the skills unlocked and be whatever level I want? What about that walled off content? 

You'll pay 15 a month for some content, if you want to pay more for extra non p2w content, all fine and good. Next time I go and buy a cake I'm not gonna argue, that I should get candles for it as well.

You can always argue you aren't getting enough for your money, up to each person to decide if it is worth it or not. 
  • Uao said:
    One can see it this way: Every item they sell in the cash shop only, is a missed opportunity to add the item into the story. Which makes the game world more hollow.

Thats why i'd prefer to spend a 30$ box cost over 5$ for cash shop items.
    Even if i wouldn't even want any of these items!
    The others that argue for the publisher's right to nickle and dime us do not consider cosmetics to be "content." It's that same attitude that got us to day one DLC, random loot boxes, and microtransactions in full priced games. Greedy businessmen love naive gamers. 
  • @Meudestroy
    well they are right smh, as long as its in the cash shop it isnt part of the content.
    It would only be part of the content if it would be a quest reward, loot drop, something to craft or within a treasure hiden somewhere in the environment.

But steven is one of these charismatic sneaky businessmen, so brace yourself for loads of microtransactions and people defending them.
    Especialy because they're saying that they want to include the cash shop items at this point of development. Ever seen a game that reduced the amount of cash shop influence later on?