Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!

Poll: Will you apply or avoid in-game 'Cosmetics?'

Myself, being an old, fat, bald guy, I really hardly ever go for using the various free 'skins' and 'cosmetic' looks that we have available to us.  Anyone else connect with that?

No to me it's all down to how my character plays, not worried about how they look. 

Yes I'm a Cosmetics junkie, drooling at the mere mention of them

Other I prefer to craft my own gear entirely

Other As explained

(For @Belewyn to magic into a Poll as suggested - Thanks @Belewyn !)

Comments

• No, looks are important to me.  But mostly I like what is provided in game, but where they get me is usually with holiday stuff.  It just depends on how well I think what is provided in game fits the personality of the character.
  • I love cosmetics :3 
    I mean it isn't what gets me playing a game and if there are no cosmetics then alright - but I do like them as an option xD
  • ArchivedUserArchivedUser Guest
    edited September 2017
    When I am first making my character, cosmetics don't really matter to me. But, I do like my character to at least look the part. So if he is a jedi knight, I want to be able to get gear that looks like something a jedi knight would wear. If i can't, I may have to resort to cosmetics.
  • Myself, being an old, fat, bald guy
    At least every person here fits one of the adverbs you listed.  :D I can relate + add more traits. :D

I love cosmetics, new hairstyles and costumes. But I usually play male and there isn't much to do with males in cosmetics, especially if you're playing mage. A new silver shining red cape armor looks weird on mages. Cosmetic on female characters have more variety and taste.

All in all, I like the look, I like customizing a lot. But there's not much option for most of the time. 
  • Looks are important to me, very much so.
  • I love ingame cosmetics because they can give the character a really unique vibe. I will definitely use them.
  • As an older gentleman myself, with a full head of hair, I too have little use for all of the in game cosmetics, never wear costumes and almost never change my appearance from when I create my character. That's not to say that I don't care how my character appears I very much do, I usually play a tank and thus wear heavy armour. I can and do spend quite a bit of time crafting or finding that suit of armour that looks cool or epic to my eyes. Then if you can dye or change the colour, yet more time finding just the right shade to match my eyes.
    Ahh the things we do for mmo fashion. 
  • It's an RPG - appearance is important.
    It's all about living in a virtual world and experiencing the life of a character in a fantasy story.
    Fashion/appearance is more important to me than function - especially combat function.
    My Bartle score is: Explorer 87%; Socializer 73% ; Achiever 47%; Killer 0%

Killer/Achievers probably don't care as much about appearance and story as Socializer/Explorers.
  • I usually get a founders pack for every game I play and a costume is mostly included in such. 

I'd normally say I don't use costumes, but since they are included for me in every game I use the one I got from the beginning until the end.
  • Even the fiercest of PvPers would like to look pretty :tongue:
  • ArchivedUserArchivedUser Guest
    edited September 2017
    Being objectively the most handsome man in town, I've had little use for cosmetics for anything other than to ugly myself up a bit so the ladies will stop hounding me. 

So yea, I will use them for that reason. 

Also, I am not delusional. Who ever says otherwise is a communist.
  • Being a fashionista irl, cosmetics are a plus imo B) . Although it's are not a necessity, It's nice to look different whereas not all armors can provide that
  • I imagine a bunch of function vs looks, some games get you with this. I'd hate to have the gear I want, not being able to look how I want. Dyes should be planned and that'll be great, but that horrible looking helmet, that has good stats, will be a tough sell. Hopefully you can reskin your items, or save looks or something to adjust your gear.
  • FliP said:
    I usually get a founders pack for every game I play and a costume is mostly included in such. 

I'd normally say I don't use costumes, but since they are included for me in every game I use the one I got from the beginning until the end.
    I expect to change into my Majesty costume from the founders packs for parties and social meet-ups.
  • How many cosmetics I purchase will depend on the price and the quality of the skins. Oh, who am I kidding. I'll purchase everything :flushed:
  • Skins are cool. I think many games you look silly for many levels as you have miss  matched armor and such. I believe it works out better overall to have skins. It also adds a great deal to roll playing. You can toss on your street clothing skin while in town as most people do not go around all day and night in armor.

Saying this though I hope as time progresses that the armor I earn looks better than the cosmetic skins. I would also hope that skins are able to be earned in game, I get the use of store bought items but a few of the better looking skins need to be hard to earn. Lets face it, looking good is part of the draw to get things, if skins purchased overpower this need it may detract from the game.

• I am a huge fan of cosmetic items and appearances in games so I will definitely be using them. Customization and small detail .. love it!
  • AeonAuron said:
    Even the fiercest of PvPers would like to look pretty :tongue:
    Lol. I suspect Nero had exactly the same attitude....! 
  • Karthos said:
    Being objectively the most handsome man in town, I've had little use for cosmetics for anything other than to ugly myself up a bit so the ladies will stop hounding me. 

So yea, I will use them for that reason. 

Also, I am not delusional. Who ever says otherwise is a communist.

Thank you - Comrade! Keep taking the tablets... ;)
  • Yes, 'cause I like to look cool. 
  • Belewyn said:
    I am a huge fan of cosmetic items and appearances in games so I will definitely be using them. Customization and small detail .. love it!
    Beauty AND attention to detail - just what we need in a moderator!

(Is that enough grovelling for a weekly Key, people???! ;))
  • If I.S added some sort of "charm" mechanic that can affect drop rates depending on the clothing (if that makes sense) then sure :), but of course I joke... this isnt a P2W and I myself like cosmetics... but, its not something that ruins the game if I don't have it.
  • I hate to admit it but I love vanity items.  Any game offers cute cash shop items and no P2W then I'll live in the cash shop. My credit card company loves me for it, I guess money can buy love even if temporary. lol. 
  • Should have made this a poll!

I am in the, "not a fashionestia" camp.

It might take me a long time to settle on a look but once I do I stick with it if at all possible. This is often times hard with set piece looks and such which is why I always gravitate to crafted items.

Don't get me wrong I'm not against a polymorph effect occasionally but I will not be purchasing a chef outfit, a tuxedo, a jester suit, etc.
  • I love cosmetics. I don't pay for them though,  so I hope that everything that is available in the Ashes shop will also be available in-game via a little effort, or a lot of effort (I don't mind it being costly, as long as it isn't hidden behind an RNG wall).
  • Well ,this is not the 90's or early 2000 anymore, you don't need to choose between looks or how good the game is overall. Game will have both if it's meant to work in the first place. As long costumes from shop doesn't affect gameplay(give advantage) like in BDO, I'm all for costumes from shop.
  • I don't think I've ever bought cosmetics in an MMO in the past, but I'm sure there is a specific combination of cosmetics that could make my wallet sing. I'll never say never ;)
  • '...Should have made this a poll!...'

You have gotta be kidding! I am so ancient I'm amazed I can even understand how to post anything here without using stamps! (I can only recognise half of the editing stuff at 'Leave a Comment' because it used to feature on a typewriter or quill!)...there's nowt up there that means 'press this to make a poll'...is there? 

**[Actually - rather than 35 people responding to tell me how to make a poll - @Belewyn, if there's a little note on 'How to make a poll in AoC forums' - could you post me it please, hopefully using old-fashioned words each with fewer than one syllable, ideally?]** Ta. G. 
    Watch this space, gang - I do hope to be dragged, screaming, into the, er, 19th Century!!!
  • Should have made this a poll!

I am in the, "not a fashionestia" camp.

It might take me a long time to settle on a look but once I do I stick with it if at all possible. This is often times hard with set piece looks and such which is why I always gravitate to crafted items.

Don't get me wrong I'm not against a polymorph effect occasionally but I will not be purchasing a chef outfit, a tuxedo, a jester suit, etc.
    If you would like to shape this into a poll, we can do that. Simply start a new discussion as a poll and i will move the comments into that discussion thread instead =)
  • As you can clearly see by my avatar, I have a sense of class and sophistication that other skeleton overlords miss. To keep up with this lifestyle, I must pay a significant amount of money to beat all my competition, So skins and cosmetics for me a large part of my unlife