Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!

Should people be able to "name change" their characters with a scroll?

ArchivedUserArchivedUser Guest
edited September 2017 in Ashes of Creation Design
We all know many MMOs offered "name change scrolls" for people that want to rename their characters.

I am personally against name changes being available at all.

What do you think? 

SPECIAL NOTE: this poll is made under assumption that corruption (if existed) would remain on player regardless of name change. Player would still be criminal with same level of corruption, just with different name.

Comments

• Sometimes you make a character as joke and end up loving it then you regret the name but you really don't want to relevel. At the same time, this shouldn't be a way for trolls to get around a block list. 
  • This one for obvious reasons.
  • ArchivedUserArchivedUser Guest
    edited September 2017
    No for me. Why would you want to change your name unless you've been 'up to something,' and don't want recognition?
    When @Gothix(*) is thundering toward me to pound me into the dirt and grab me mats, I want to know whom I'm avoiding in future!!!

(*) 'Other names are available'...no bad assumptions on @Gothix intended. My lawyer's watching this thread...
  • ArchivedUserArchivedUser Guest
    edited September 2017
    The one time I changed a toon's name was because the spelling kept irritating me; I thought I would get use to it, but didn't.  So for the sake of aesthetics I changed it to be essentially the same name just a different spelling.
  • T-Elf said:
    The one time I changed a toon's name was because the spelling kept irritating me; I thought I would get use to it, but didn't.  So for the sake of aesthetics I changed it to be essentially the same name just a different spelling.
    Actually, as someone a bit 'old-school' re correct speling and punktuwation, I appreciate your reason!
  • If someone steals stuff from a guild bank or behaves traitorous in any other way, he should not be able to avoid all consequences by simply changing his name.
  • You would obviously remove and block people you don't want knowing your new name. It isn't that hard to figure out, lol.
  • It's a nice feature for people who just want a new name because they just don't like the sound of their old one anymore, which might happen if you play a game for a long time. This applies especially to fandom related names where people just name their character after their favourite character from their favourite show at that point. You can even change your name in exchange for some money in real life, so why should a game have an additional restriction on this?
  • Bamboozled makes a good point, but from a competitive standpoint I am against name changed.

Especially since griefing and trolling in games is at its peak currently, you will have to live with the consequences and be known for what you're doing. 
  • The great name of Nagash shall never fall but I know you guys may want to change your name to live up to me ^^
  • FliP said:
    Bamboozled makes a good point, but from a competitive standpoint I am against name changed.

Especially since griefing and trolling in games is at its peak currently, you will have to live with the consequences and be known for what you're doing. 
    >Currently
    Damn man, it has been at its peak for years. It's all based on the person.
  • Extra game income and extra roleplay potential is always a plus. I don't see any realistic downsides to it.
  • Solution is simple. No one chooses a name, all characters are named in succession of the time they got ingame, Beginning with Kirito 1, Kirito 2, Kirito 3 etc.

• Solution is simple. No one chooses a name, all characters are named in succession of the time they got ingame, Beginning with Kirito 1, Kirito 2, Kirito 3 etc.

Ah yes, the Borg Method
  • Karthos said:

Ah yes, the Borg Method
    Sounds promising. I didn't hear anyone complain about CS prices in Borg collective.
  • FliP said:
    Bamboozled makes a good point, but from a competitive standpoint I am against name changed.

So there's one thing I genuinely don't get here. What is the worst a troll can do, and how is a troll defined in this case? It can range from people making bait posts to wind people up to 4chan users all over the world teaming up to manipulate art projects.
    From my experience, when someone who is well known for annoying other users changes their name, it takes one week maximum until everyone knows of the name change, because everyone had that user on their friend list or block list, and other factors such as level and class also quickly give it away.
    And even if you don't figure out who it is that quickly, what is the worst they can do in the meantime? Whether it's name A or name B, they'll do what they did before. I'd actually be more worried about scammers in that regard, but when it comes to scammers, it's usually really easy to find red flags in their behaviour.
  • Your name is your reputation. If you have a player who is notoriously corrupt and changes his name, if he's not corrupt at the time players won't know to avoid him in the field. He'll have to become infamous again.