Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!

Node Housing

New here and just watched youtube AoC part1/2 of the node system. Sorry for some reason the search pulls up no results for anything I search. My question/inquiry is regarding the housing system in the nodes. It states there are a limited number of housing per node (not including the instanced ones) that level up as it goes. What is it then to new players (say 1 or 2 years after launch) who decide after initial launch of the game/land rush for their benefit as they won't be able to have a home for themselves in a node and would have to get an instanced one except from buying one. Any ideas or has any developers stated anything regarding this? Thank you!

Comments

• ArchivedUserArchivedUser Guest
    edited September 2017
    Search has never worked on these forums, sorry.  

New players a year or two after launch who want one of the hiuses that might turn into a mansion would want to try to find a Stage 2 node they can help level to Stage 3.
    And then try to acquire/purchase one those homes in the new Village.

If there were no more nodes on the server that could be leveled to Stage 3, you would want to try to convince other players to siege an established Village and knock it down to an encampment. Then either try to purchase a home once they rebuild to Stage 3 or try to level up a nearby encampment up to a Village, before that other node can rebuild.

Probably easier to find a place to set down a freehold just outside of town if all you want is a non-instanced home.
  • Hi @GreatAOC
    Source: https://www.ashesofcreation.com/node-series-part-2-metropolis/

The constant creation and destruction in the world means that static housing plots will always be available, no matter how long the server has been running. The prices will of course vary with supply and demand.

More information on how nodes and sieges can be found here:

https://forums.ashesofcreation.com/discussion/34405/information-nodes-and-sieges/p1
  • Always "available"...
    By hook or by crook.
  • The ever changing world is in your hands!
  • GreatAOC said:
    My question/inquiry is regarding the housing system in the nodes. It states there are a limited number of housing per node 
    Yes, inside the Nodes themselves there will be limited amount of properties.
    The amount will increase as the node ranks up and new land becomes available, meanwhile the old properties from the previous rank will get an increase in size as they will be close to the center of the Node.
    GreatAOC said:

What is it then to new players (say 1 or 2 years after launch) who decide after initial launch of the game/land rush for their benefit as they won't be able to have a home for themselves in a node and would have to get an instanced one except from buying one. Any ideas or has any developers stated anything regarding this? Thank you!
    Freeholds can be almost freely placed within a Node's Zone of Influence, some limitations as in: Not on a spawn, not in terrain that wouldn't allow it, not too close to other Freeholds, but pretty much freely placable otherwise. 
    Nodes within cities however will be hard for them to get a hold of unless they find someone willing to sell. 
  • Personally, owning a home is something I really love in MMOs. You get your own space, customizable, a status symbol so to speak. 

There will likely be land grabs, but the fact that nodes can change hands and "rake the sandbox" I feel will continually free up land throughout the game's life.

Sure the more dominant guilds will probably have hold on more desirable places, but I feel the instanced housing is a good compromise. 

Owning a home is a status symbol. If you want it, you need to earn it. And if earning it means getting up at 3am to participate in land grab, or saving for a while to buy it, it's up to you.
  • I also think people have the wrong impression that the chance for housing is going to be some arbitrary server-wide time and if they sleep through it they are going to miss out. Housing is node level dependent, not server map dependent. The land grab issue will be people in a very specific area who just happen to be logged on when a node "pops." Intrepid has given every indication that node experience beyond visually identifying the current level of the node is not something that is going to be player tracked. "Ohhh...we only need 2k more node exp before the next wave of housing opens up!" is not going to be something that as a player you are going to be able to see and monitor. While the information they have dropped so far is that nodes will progress fairly quickly from 0 to 1 to 2, level 3 and above will take much longer and several months for metropolis. Other competing nodes will have an impact on that process also. So the idea that a group of dedicated players "in the know" are going to be able to secure all the housing and lock out the "casuals" is just hyperbole and wrong.
  • Thank you all! Those links were helpful!
  • It is a nice concept where the freeholds populate the land, as the node levels up. When a node has enough xp to finally reach level 6, the land surrounding the big city will have lots of visible freeholds, some might even look like villages themselves. Smart concept, if you ask me.