Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!

Should Intrepid Remove the Skill Bar?

Wouldn't removing skill and action bars from Ashes be so cool? I remember the first time I looked at a friend playing WoW, and I thought "holy shit, that's a lot of buttons on the screen". If there is basically no permanently showing ui, immersion would be far easier. You could look more at the game and not at cooldowns on your ui and other shit. People usually keybind and memorize cooldowns anyways, right? Just seeing your character on the screen and hardly anything else, but still being able to perform all the actions you need to perform would be sweet.

Comments

• ArchivedUserArchivedUser Guest
    edited September 2017
    You can probably toggle off the HUD if you want to.
    Ashes doesn't really have memorized cool-down rotations.
    You use abilities based on the moment-to-moment situation rather than hitting whatever's off cooldown in rotation.
  • " People usually keybind and memorize cooldowns anyways, right?"

Not if Intrepid removes the skill bar, lol.
    There will be an option to hide UI, i think that's what you are looking for. 
  • AeonAuron said:
    " People usually keybind and memorize cooldowns anyways, right?"

Not if Intrepid removes the skill bar, lol.
    There will be an option to hide UI, i think that's what you are looking for. 
    Yeah at first you'll need to see the UI for skills and the weapon skill to be able to learn it.
    Allowing lots of options for customisation to support a range of players is best imo.
    The UI should be costimisable to support new players and be able to adjust it for more challenging UI for knowledgeable players. :)

• Maybe the opaqueness of the skill bar can be reduced to 0, making it disappear?
  • I like the general idea of BDO skillbars.
    Every icon is freely positionable and skills could be activated by certain key combinations even without necessarily placing them onto any ui elements.
    Even if its actual implementation is very poor..
  • Wouldn't removing skill and action bars from Ashes be so cool? I remember the first time I looked at a friend playing WoW, and I thought "holy shit, that's a lot of buttons on the screen". If there is basically no permanently showing ui, immersion would be far easier. You could look more at the game and not at cooldowns on your ui and other shit. People usually keybind and memorize cooldowns anyways, right? Just seeing your character on the screen and hardly anything else, but still being able to perform all the actions you need to perform would be sweet.
    They have said that UI will be Highly Customizeable, so you will prob be able to hide what you want, and make other parts smaller in scale, change their positions or whatever you like with the layout :P 
    So you will be able to since there will only be 10 Active skills I think from what we've seen. 
  • This would be a huge pain in the ass. I agree with @Dygz about skill usage, but overall, making the UI permanently invisible is no bueno.

In theory it sound ok, but removing them by default is bad idea.

1. You've now required people memorize EVERY skill they have and what key bind is used, if any. As someone who has a good memory, I can honestly say, I've never memorized every single key bind, just the ones I use the most. I'd have to look up the others.

2. Now the game requires you to open up various menus to accomplish tasks that used to take one click. Anyone whose ever played a shitty PC port of a console game just cringed.

3. The fact the game forces you away from a format that's essentially standard in the industry will turn some people off to the game. 

4. Just because something is different, doesn't mean it's an innovation. 

5. Every game already let's you make the UI invisible anyway. Usually by pushing F1. Why change this? It works. 
  • Well, there's only 10 slots on the hotbar.
    Key 1 always activates the weapon skills.
    At PAX we kept the utility skill on the last slot on the hotbar.

Way easier to remember...your standard layout.
    Probably get really dicey if we swap a couple of different abilities in and then forget they're there!!!   :o

lmao
    Reminds me for A for auto-attack in EQ1.

Hmmnn. I wonder how emotes will work??
    2nd hotbar for emotes seems unlikely?
    edited September 2017
    You all are probably right about customization being the way to go, but it may still be nice if an effort was made for a minimalist UI to work well with how the game will be played. Runescape comes to mind, or black desert online.

Side note: skill art has seemed silly to me in other MMOs I've played. Usually there is a well textured and beautiful character performing a good looking ability, but the ability is activated by clicking a 2D, pixelized image xD
    edited September 2017
    ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    We will have to see whether MMORPGs will eventually be able to adapt combat concepts from Absolver, but that's not going to happen with Ashes.

If you think you don't need the hotbar, you'll probably be able to toggle it off from appearing on the screen. Probably the same for the entire UI.

I only ever have one hotbar on screen.
    Some people like to clutter up their screens, though.
    edited September 2017
    I think they shouldn't remove the skill bar, instead, just give an option to hide it would be better :)
    edited September 2017
    There is something to be said about standardized game-play, to some extent. For example, the game could look awesome with the skill bars hidden, but you could perform worse at the game than someone who has covered their whole screen with buttons to push. From this perspective, "complete customization" of the UI is less desirable than having a very good UI that only allows some customization, thus keeping the gamer's user-end more homologous among the community.  
  • I would love bars that can be set to dock themselves out of sight like the tool bar for windows or you can have them show up in combat and you could have a bar that goes away in combat so you can put non combat abilities and emotes on or even have a bar that always shows
  • I would personally be a minimalist but I would always want some visual reminders. But as everyone else has said full UI customization will allow us to all chose what we want. As it should be.
  • No. Stop being a baby about the skill bar.
  • sunfrog said:
    No. Stop being a baby about the skill bar.
    I really would stop, but I'm not your bitch. I wanna see you make me stop talking about what I find interesting to talk about.
  • I like a skill bar, its like I really have those skils instead of no UI.
    edited September 2017

Should Intrepid Remove the Skill Bar?

No.

simple answer~

• Dygz said:
    You can probably toggle off the HUD if you want to.
    Ashes doesn't really have memorized cool-down rotations.
    You use abilities based on the moment-to-moment situation rather than hitting whatever's off cooldown in rotation.
    I'm with @Dygz here. I suspect you'll be able to minimise the 10 slots if not toggle it off completely and that should be the option for those not wanting it. Me, personally, I enjoy a good skillbar. Until we test it and try it, I see no reason to change anything at this point.