Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!

EverQuest Idea for Ashes of Creation || Any others you can Suggest ?

Something i came across while viewing some Older MMOs for potential ideas

What this YouTuber explains is something I'm hoping to see in Ashes of Creation - or at least something similar. 

If anything ... its very similar to an idea i mentioned in one of my other Threads ( link below )
What do Guys & Gals think ?  :)

Comments

• I think you should probably summarize your suggestion / idea here. A lot of folks probably wont go watch a video without an incentive to do so. What is it you are liking, in your words? What about it in particular would you like to discuss? Just my thoughts ... admitting that no, I did no go watch the video so am kind of lost on what is the idea.
  • Seems like that is basically the equivalent of racial augments in Ashes.
  • ArchivedUserArchivedUser Guest
    edited September 2017
    @Belewyn In short, " Shared Abilities "
    • Only thing is ... the same Shared Abilities can be utilized additionally in Crafting
  • So from what I am understanding, thanks @Dygz for catching me up here, you're basically looking for enhanced augments to an augmented skill? Ex: A racial passive or active skill that further enhances an existing class skill. Right?
    edited September 2017
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gWV5uUsMZ7M
    Introduction To EverQuest With CohhCarnage  mark 14:53
    Sneak and Hide: these are abilities that Halflings start with... not every race does.
    Every race starts with some skills. They can't usually get them all the way up as you could if you had it as a class skill.
    But like, for instance, we're a Druid. Druids do not get the Hide ability.
    But, if you see right here, I have Sneak and Hide - that's because I'm a Halfling.
    Now, a Rogue gets the Hide ability, but since it's a class skill, the Rogue can train it up to like 300... something incredible.
    Us, because it's a racial skill, we can only train it up to, what chat? 50? It's tiny.
    Racial skills are cool and they can be really useful, but if there's a class skill that it's based on, the class skill is going to trump it in every aspect.
    edited September 2017
    no. its entirely different, yet something additional as to what " Augments " are
  • I see, I see. Many games carry those passive / active race skills. I know in LotRo we did as well. Much the same where a class skill of the same functionality would have a greater affect than an inherent skill based on race. Since we do not yet know the Race Attributes in Ashes, nor do we know the Augments outcomes, it's really hard to say what we might see.
  • Eragale said:

Their purpose is to assist in Crafting - to enchant Crafting Material(s). Similar to Artisan Enchantment, but not exactly. Enchanting works on equipment . " This " will work on Crafting Materials. At the same time , its an Ability that can used in Combat

... or they can just make Enchanting highly
     in-depth ?   :o:o

Once the Crafting Material(s) is enchanted, then it can be combined with their abilities to make new ones - including Non-Magic Archetypes 
    (via Fighter, Ranger, Tank and Rogue )

This MMO is set in a High-Fantasy World. So i personally thought that all Archetypes should be able to obtain these spells by via seeking them throughout the in-game world OR visiting a Magical Library within the Node

This category comprises of all the Elemental Magic  - Wind, Fire, Water, Dark, Earth, Light, etc ... ( anymore ? ). Including a Healing Spell - but nothing like Cleric's Healing Spells nor the Mage's Magic-Spells

While these abilities can be used for Combat ... there's a twist. These Basic-Magic Spells cannot inflict as much damage compared to the Mage nor Heal as much compared to the Cleric-class  . But they can be Leveled-Up. For example:

• You find an Ore, you imbued it with ... " Basic-Wind Spell " , then you obtained a "Wind Ore". then you can make something out of it based on your Artisan
    • You find Thread, you imbued it with ... " Basic-Earth Spell ", then you obtained an " Earth Thread " . then you can make something out of it based on your Artisan.
    Then
    • This newly-constructed " Wind Ore " or " Earth Thread ", imbued together again with different abilities.

But it won't be a ... " Linear Progression ", instead they can affected by every ability
    ****(including Main-Class Abilities)**** - all with a different result 

In other words, you're altering the ... " Base-Composition " of the Crafting-Material in order to make something entirely different in the long-run - including Abilities. Initially, it seem that Abilities are irrelevant, but it does - by making new abilities 
    edited September 2017
    @Belewyn Before watching the Video, i never knew much about EverQuest. More specifically ...i knew nothing about " Racial Abilities

I was just trying to make a similarity ; an idea i came up with months ago ...yet that surprisingly had some sort of similarities as to what was said in the video ( in the link ) - even though i never knew nothing about the Racial Abilities in the First Place.

Regardless, what you stated is not at all what I'm trying to say - so this time i will be as lucid as possible
    • It has 2 Purposes - an actual Ability used in Combat & Crafting
    • It has nothing to do with Racial Ability - but the Concept itself is similar ( the "Correlation" i was trying to make )
  • I will leave it to others to discuss. Sorry, for whatever reason is just does not make sense to me. Cheers.
    edited September 2017
    @Eragale, I'm going to try to explain my understanding of your concept and then you can tell me what I got wrong.

I think the racial abilities are basically the same thing as racial augments, but those concepts are significantly different than the feature you proposed.

The feature you proposed seems more to me like Cantrips in D&D.
    "Cantrip was the common name for the weakest spells an arcane spellcaster could cast. The divine magic equivalents were known as orisons, but "cantrip" was often used to describe all beginner apprentice/acolyte spells. Cantrips were the first spells that a wizard learned during their apprenticeship. The effects that could be created were very minor, very brief, and mostly harmless, intended to entertain children or impress commoners, although some newer cantrips could cause damage."

Examples of cantrips are:
    dancing lights • light • mending • minor illusion • true strike • resistance • sacred flame • spare the dying • guidance • poison spray • produce flame • resistance • acid splash • chill touch • fire bolt • ray of frost • shocking grasp • eldritch blast.

Cantrips would be minor spells that anyone might stumble upon and acquire during adventuring... in addition to augments and crafting recipes.
    People might use cantrips as augments to primary abilities but would also be able to use them on resource materials to enhance or create an enchanted version of the resource for use during crafting.

Ray of Frost or Chill Touch might embue an ordinary piece of wood with an Ice component for crafting.
    Produce Flame or Fire Bolt might embue an ordinary piece of wood with a Fire component for crafting.

A cantrip could be used for crafting purposes or for combat depending on the situation.
    edited September 2017
    @Dygz In short ...
    • 75% yes, but 25% no
    Dygz said:
    " ... Cantrip was the common name for the weakest spells an arcane spellcaster could cast ... "
    Including the Ranger, Fighter, Rogue and Tank class
     ( in my idea ; differentiating between the two concepts )
    Dygz said:
    " ... The effects that could be created were very minor, very brief, and mostly harmless, intended to entertain children or impress commoners, although some newer cantrips could cause damage ..."
    The effects will be harmful, but nothing like the Mage's Magic nor Cleric's Healing. When it comes to illusions/ Hallucinations ... the Bard-Archetype should be the only one able to do that. with that the Secondary-Bards
    • i.e. ( x/ Bard )  ... where " X " = Primary-Archetype
    potentially being able to do something like it ( because Bard is Secondary for that Scenario )

Dygz said: " ... Ray of Frost or Chill Touch might embue an ordinary piece of wood with an Ice component for crafting.
    Produce Flame or Fire Bolt might embue an ordinary piece of wood with a Fire component for crafting ... "
    Yes .. but instead it'll be for any crafting material 
    ( Btw ... " Soft Crafting " is what I prefer - no recipes/ schematic. ) 
    ( With some sort of interaction & percentage of failing ...
    • ( thought about making a separate thread about this one )
    Dygz said: " ... Cantrips would be minor spells that anyone might stumble upon and acquire during adventuring... in addition to augments and crafting recipes. People might use cantrips as augments to primary abilities but would also be able to use them on resource materials to enhance or create an enchanted version of the resource for use during crafting ... "
    This is where i most agree with 
    • By, " resource " ... you do mean " Crafting Material ", right ? 
    Intrepid never stated that Augments can be used for Crafting - if they did, then I would not have ever mentioned this idea. If they did, then please link

( @Dygz , if you can't link it, then tell me which Stream if you can't remember - because I'm confident that they did not )

Otherwise, its why i mentioned it as another separate mechanic
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I don't think Cantrips can be added, right ? If they can ... >~>
    edited September 2017
    @Dygz My thought for illusions/ hallucinations is Screen-Flickering
    • But nothing that'll trigger seizures 
    EDIT: can't think of anything else atm
    edited September 2017
    I was just trying to take a stab at explaining your suggestion more clearly for other people. Sounds like I was pretty close.
    Resources are things like plants, minerals and animal parts that we harvest and use as crafting materials, yes.

Cantrips are a D&D mechanic; not an Ashes mechanic.
    We haven't heard enough about crafting to know what we will be able to do.
    So, all just theorycrafting for now.
    edited September 2017
    TheoryCrafting is the Best :3 .. yet ... sometimes i worry it won't be anything like I'd imagine it to be once Ashes of Creation releases ... but we will see >~>
  • @Dygz Sorry about that xD . don't know too much about D&D either  :D
  • It's all good Eragale.
    All we can really do while we wait to play is share our opinions, perspectives, hopes and fears with each other.

And theorycrafting is fun!
    <3
  • Sometimes I think all the theory crafting leads to an illusion of things that would be implemented. Then when those things are not implemented there is a sense of being let down or failure.

I would like the ability to craft magical items, not just armor and weapons, and like in D&D casting spells during the process would be cool. That would also add a variety to the items created, two players crafting the same item but using different spells would create two equal, but different, items.

Unfortunately for me their crafting system has been hinted at, but not enough to make me want to spend too much time thinking about it.

*for realz I only read parts of this thread and did not watch the videos, I also know nothing about EQ*
    edited September 2017
    What types of magical items besides armor and weapons are you thinking of?
    Hopefully, 2 or 3 examples wouldn't be too much to share.
  • You want examples, imagination no longer plays into it eh?

-Equipment for your mounts (as in saddlebags/saddles, not armor) something that helps them weight less or carry more (bag's of holding, although that exact example would be too much for an MMO)

-Torches/Lamps; maybe a torch or lamp that never burns out or changes color based on local mobs (undead/demonic) that way you have a heads up before you engage.

-Boots/Shoes; something that might give a few seconds of water walk or air walk or just make a player a bit faster (not like Athletics 100 in Morrowind)

I know in an MMO finding utility items outside of combat equipment can be a waste of space, but being able to create them would be fun. Even if the item doesn't drastically alter game play it can still be a fun or unique item.