Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!

How will a node level affect character leveling and monsters within that node???

I leave a level 1 node and and my character has gear/skills from that node will I be out of luck when it comes to fighting monsters in the next node over if that node is a higher level? If node levels just respresent crafting ability and town development disregard this question.

Comments

• Your character's gear and skills are independent of the level of node you are a citizen of.

You are able to purchase or trade gear from other nodes or gain it from fighting bosses. Your XP and level may be much higher relative to your node's level of advancement.
  • As a node levels new content may appear, this doesn't mean that lower level content will always disappear. Some instanced dungeons relative to that nodes level may "pop" but the intention from what I remember is for there to be a mix of mob level throughout the zoi. Use Witcher 3 as an example, you may be just owning that lower level tribe of goblins, and run around a bend in the road or up a hill into a nest of snake people waaaaay beyond your level forcing you to beat a hasty retreat. Or you are beating on some level 5 goblins and they call their level 30 storm giant friend. None of this confirmed, just mentioned as possibilities.
  • ArchivedUserArchivedUser Guest
    edited September 2017
    Well, the next node over will probably not be a higher level - it's more likely to be the same or lower.

You'll be more likely to run into higher level nodes in zones of interest that other player factions have leveled up. At that point, it will be the normal... if the content is to high for you, it's too high for you.
  • Nodes are independent of the leveling system, the only thing you will need to watch out for while leveling is when nearing a higher level node there will be the appearance (how frequent is yet to be known) of stronger monsters(such as world bosses). as the devs stated in discord and other threads there will be starter zones for new characters as with all other mmos. 

As you become stronger and affect the world more expect to deal with higher level and more difficult monsters, but the node system will be interdependent of your personal leveling.
  • You can look at it like this. The whole world will be separated in zones the ZOIs (zone of influence). You could go through the whole world leveling up in the wild without a node at all. This was said by Steven himself, so I assume there will even be enough opportunity to enhance your gear out there in some way. Even if it means to go back to a starting area or something.
    Anyway, those ZOIs are further broken down into areas. (purely fictional example to illustrate what we know from QnAs) A ruin there for example, a stretch of forest beside it and a pond inside the forest. Each of those areas will have different mob levels.
    What a node does now, is change/replace those Mob groups.
    That can mean straight out level them up/down, change the mob type or shift the zones around.
    Maybe now there is a street through the woods with low level wolfs around it instead of some higher level bears that where there before the node leveled up.
    The bears themselves retreated deeper into the woods. Those ruins have a powerful bandit group inside now instead of some harmless nesting birds. The pond from earlier houses some slightly higher aquatic mobs than before.
    That's along the lines of what we can expect.
  • I'd like to see that quote from Steven.
    I don't think you can level very far without nodes because the content will be way too low.
    The levels of available content increase as the nodes increase in level.

Nodes don't decrease surrounding mob levels as the node increases in level.
    Nodes are likely to decrease mob levels as the node de-levels.
  • Lets see if @lexmax has the relevant clip on speed link. My recollection was it was in answer to "How are you going to prevent early zones becoming unpopulated as the game progresses." or "Our plan to stop people clustering at endgame in zones in outer rings that happens in other mmos." Think is was the studio tour livestream where Bacon was working on a forest and pathing for zombies and showing how their pathing/number changed as the node leveled, but has been a couple months since I've looked at them so it is a bit hazy.
    So I agree that it was never mentioned that mob level would decrease as a node levels, but I do remember that it was mentioned that as a node increases in level the higher level content would unlock, but that lower level content would still be available.
    edited September 2017
    In Ashes, early zones don't become unpopulated like in other MMORPGs because the mobs in the nearby ZOIs level as the node levels. And de-level as the node de-levels.
    ZOI's in far from the node might also ebb and flow if that ZOI is distantly connected to the node. Based on the Stage of the node and what buildings and services players add to the node.
    Lower level content may still be available in a variety of ways, yes.

But, I'm pretty sure there won't be sufficient high level mobs around for players to level very far while all the nodes are at Stage 0 because it's the active nodes which increase mob levels in the ZOIs.
    edited September 2017
    I was curious how long it would take to find it with the two obvious key words nodes and leveling. It took me 5 minutes to pinpoint it through discord #intrepid_answers and the known info doc. I don't freaking remember where each and every single specific question and answer comes from, but I was nice enough to dig it out.
    29:00 the timestamp was also found in that info provided.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IndybzSBFl8

I am aware that he doesn't say it here that there will be content to max. level in absolute wilderness. This is somewhere else
    (He does hint at it here, but it becomes more apparent in context to the other information you should be searching right about now. Point is he is not specifically saying it here)
    Do your research you obviously miss quite some information which is prominent to say the least as shown here with a >>>Kickstarter QnA with LazyPeon<<< instead of doubting people who do and are nice enough to sum it up for new and curious people. I'm getting tired of playing this game with so called "veterans".
    I'll leave a hint and I am not talking about my memory.
    I did the very first QnA transcription word by word for the community. What you will find is quite literally the word of Steven.
  • Thanks @Grisu ,that was the memory I was searching for, just couldn't remember the exact stream.
    edited October 2017
    Grisu said:
    I was curious how long it would take to find it with the two obvious key words nodes and leveling. It took me 5 minutes to pinpoint it through discord #intrepid_answers and the known info doc. I don't freaking remember where each and every single specific question and answer comes from, but I was nice enough to dig it out.
    29:00 the timestamp was also found in that info provided.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IndybzSBFl8

I am aware that he doesn't say it here that there will be content to max. level in absolute wilderness. This is somewhere else
    (He does hint at it here, but it becomes more apparent in context to the other information you should be searching right about now. Point is he is not specifically saying it here)
    Do your research you obviously miss quite some information which is prominent to say the least as shown here with a >>>Kickstarter QnA with LazyPeon<<< instead of doubting people who do and are nice enough to sum it up for new and curious people. I'm getting tired of playing this game with so called "veterans".
    I'll leave a hint and I am not talking about my memory.
    I did the very first QnA transcription word by word for the community. What you will find is quite literally the word of Steven.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IndybzSBFl8&nbsp; mark  29:00
    STEVEN: The world in general is an open realm of diverse types of difficulties that exist within all the different regions. And those events and and those monster spawn tables are tied to the progression tables of the nodes as well.
    So, as a node advances in stages, it will take those metrics of the spawn table for events and monsters and whatever else is in the area and it will advance with the Stage. Where, you'll still keep the diverse aspect of different content level within the region, but it's going to include new levels at a higher rank and it's also going to expand on certain levels as it progresses until the point where at the metropolis stage, you will see heavier, high level end activities and events spawning around that location, but you'll still have that potential for lower level characters to have content available in that region as well. 

JEFF: The goal is to kind of have the server level up with the population. And make sure there's a balanced availability of content for those different populations. And that's throughout the whole world. So there is no, hey, you have to go to this zone when you're level 10 and zone when you're level 20 and this zone when you're level 30.
    It's more about what you want to do in the game and which node you want to help and sort of what you want to do. So, you're kind of deciding where and when you adventure.

STEVEN: And remember that the whole backbone of the node system, in general, is that this is your way to unlock different doors to experience different content that relates to both the location and progression of a node. So that means that content within an area is introduced as that node progresses and is diverse within the level of that content.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thank you for your time hunting down the dev quote.
    I didn't ask you to do something that I don't do.

I always hunt down dev quotes when someone asks me for a link to support my claim. It's easier for the person who thinks they remember the quote to find what they are looking for - easier because they can remember what else was being said during the video or interview.

I am among those who have done the most research in these forums - and I have spoken to the devs at PAX. That doesn't mean it's impossible for me to miss something. Also doesn't mean that it's impossible for you or I to misinterpret something. 
    So, if someone states something that the devs have said something that sounds counter to what I know - I ask for the source, so we can all review it and gain a clearer understanding of what the devs actually did say - rather than relying one someone's paraphrase of what they think the devs said.
    I get tired of searching for links when people ask me for my source, too - but I go hunt for them anyway because I'm the one who is going to best remember which vid or interview or discussion I'm referencing.

Steven does not say in this video  "You can go through the whole world leveling up without a node at all."
    That is a misleading interpretation of what the devs actually said.

The devs repeatedly state that the available content is tied to the progression of nodes. Specifically the level of the content in ZOI is tied to the progression of the nodes.
    The level of content in a ZOI increases along with the increase of the stage of the node.
    That does not mean that all of the content in the ZOI increases at the same pace or that all of the content in the ZOI increases at all.
    What it does mean is that nodes are integral to character progression level. Partially because there won't be any NPCs around to provide services until a node reaches Stage 1.
    And partially because there will be an effective limit to how far we can level without progressing the level of content available in ZOIs. 

Which is why nodes will be turned off during the 2-day Headstart.

It's not up to us to search for something the devs didn't say.
    If you know there is a dev quote that states what you claim, it's up to you to share the source so we can be sure you did not misinterpret what the devs actually said.

• Dygz said:
    Steven does not say in this video  "You can go through the whole world leveling up without a node at all."
    That is a misleading interpretation of what the devs actually said.

Grisu said:

I made my point of being credible, I even handheld you to where the 2nd of the 3 parts are, yes there are 3 parts to this. I actually tried to guide you into autonomy, direct quote, guided quote, own research.
    That you continue to not even read what you respond to and claim I miss interpret when I specifically, call out, before your claim, that I DO NOT interpret it this way on this video alone is the very reason I am tired of this. I actually, specifically call it a mere hint that lacks context.
     It's disgusting to partake in a "conversation" like this.

You don't bother to understand, let alone finish reading before making another useless post that bloats and undermines the topic.
    You can look it up yourself or tell me the quote in which Steven specifically denies what I "claim" he said.
    I have to say, very attentive as usual, point made, have a great day, moved on. :)@Dygz

• I read all of what you wrote.
    The hint you think you see is misleading.
    That is all.
  • 20:00 Is the adventuring class progression slowed down early on in the game, because of node progression needing to be?

Steven:
    In a way it is throttled by node progression. However, I think the balance between node progression and player activity on a server is going to be a healthy balance between progression and development so that you won't really see a slow down so to speak. The world will develop with the progression of the adventuring class. However you will not need developed nodes so to speak in order to continue progressing in the adventuring class,
    there will be enough content in the wilderness that players can progress in their adventuring class without having to do so in an area that's been developed.

Yeah it's nonsense that you keep ignoring the other part of what I refer to. It's not like he specifically says you can always continue progressing in undeveloped areas.
    This is just embarrassing that you choose to drag people down in your ignorance instead of taking the hint that you need more information to understand the full picture.

"We know the rules of Verra" - Dygz
    No you don't you only revel in your ignorance and spread miss information with your lack of understanding and knowledge.
    edited October 2017
    I don't think that quote says what you think it does.
    What you wrote is: "You could go through the whole world leveling up in the wild without a node at all."

The quote you posted doesn't state that.
    Steven's quote states that we can progress the adventuring class without having to do so in an area that is developed.
    That is significantly different than being able to progress the adventuring class without a node at all.
    Steven specifically states that class progression is throttled by node progression.
    Because of a healthy balance between progression and development, we won't feel a slow down.
    And we can progress even far away from a developed node - partially because node progression can influence ZOIs far away.

If your statement were accurate, Steven would not have used a qualifier like "developed" nodes. Rather, he would have answered emphatically, "No, you don't need nodes at all in order to progress the adventuring class."
    The world progresses primarily from players developing nodes. But, developed nodes also progress ZOIs far away from the local area, so you will not necessarily be stuck unable to do anything high level in "ZOI W" simply because there is an undeveloped node there. Developing "Node B" can also create new tasks and events and higher level mobs all the way over in "ZOI W" even if "Node W" is at Stage 0.

So, yeah, we do know the rules of Verra.
    And the rules of Verra do not include 
    "You could go through the whole world leveling up in the wild without a node at all."

If we can go through the whole world leveling up in the wild without a node, then the KS headstart is inherently pay-to-win.
  • Nodes are only the term used to declare a spot where a settlement can be established. You automatically develop a node to a camp state simply by progressing long enough in an area, so even if you don't intend to, if enough people level where you level in the wilderness you will automatically come into the cycle of a node and area development.
    I should have clarified it better as a developed settlement for newcomers, but for people like you, please contextual reading. Nodes exist inherently, but don't do anything until a certain point aka. they advance to the first development state aka Camp before that, it is raw wilderness.

"And we can progress even far away from a developed node - partially because node progression can influence ZOIs far away."
    This is contradicting to what is talked about, if a developed node influences an area, the area is developed too. Jesus if the area changes through the influence of a developed node it's not simply wilderness anymore. It already changed. Which makes it irrelevant to the quote. He himself makes the distinction between developed area and wilderness after all.
    It's nothing more than another fallacy of yours since you don't want to admit your lack of understanding.

"If your statement were accurate, Steven would not have used a qualifier like "developed" nodes. Rather, he would have answered emphatically, "No, you don't need nodes at all in order to progress the adventuring class.""

The question is, if progression is slowed down, not if it is possible in the QnA.

So no he wouldn't simply say it like you suggested. Steven is more attentive in a live QnA ,to spontaneous question from the community and wording than you are sitting down with all the time in the world to read carefully. It makes my eyes hurt to read your post.

Following your logic tho the negation of your suggestion would make more sense, if it was impossible he would simply say, "no you can't advance the adventuring class without developing nodes in the first place, you need at least some influence from a developed node" which he doesn't. Don't come at me with such silly fallacy.
    The truth is, it is possible, but will be slower than using the concentrated/additional content a developed node brings, so it is throttled without nodes, not impossible.

And this is why the KS is not inherently p2w because they will probably be able to strike a balance this way that will negate the 2 days head start before you max out your adventuring class vertically. After all we are probably looking at a slower leveling pace than we got used too in recent years, back to the beginning and room to balance tempo.

With that I truly take my leave from this thread. Whoever reads this should have a picture about this topic and your nonsense no matter what else you try to  twist around.
    Someone who can't even make the distinction between a ruined city and a city we can develop ourselves is just not worth the time listening to. 'refering to another topic which makes my eyes bleed'

edited October 2017
    1: Which is why the statement, "You could go through the whole world leveling up in the wild without a node at all. This was said by Steven himself, so I assume there will even be enough opportunity to enhance your gear out there in some way. " is inherently false and misleading.

Node progression and increasing mob level are intrinsically tied to player activity.
    But you could, theoretically, move from ZOI to ZOI soloing quests and mobs, advancing your class without progressing the local nodes from Stage 0 to Stage 1.
    Tasks could become available
     and mobs increase in ZOI W to help progress the solo player from Level 20 to Level 25 based on activity far away in Node B even though Node W never advances from Stage 0 to Stage 1.
    But, that does not mean that you can level up in the wild with no node at all. You would be relying on the development of a distant node rather than relying on the local node.

2: I'm pretty sure area that is developed refers to an area that has an encampment, village, town, etc. An area that is Stage 1 or above.
    A wilderness area ("ZOI W") can change in terms of the tasks, quests, events and dungeons and levels of mobs available without becoming developed ( advancing from Stage 0 to Stage 1) due to player activity developing a node ("Node B") far away.

3: The question was: Is the adventuring class progression slowed down early on in the game, because of node progression needing to be?
    If your statement were true, the answer would have been something along the lines of, "No. Because you could go through the whole world leveling the adventuring class without progressing nodes at all."
    Instead, Steven states that there is a relationship between progressing nodes and progressing adventuring class. But, with the right balance, we will not notice adventuring class being slowed due to lack of sufficient progression in the wilderness.
    Especially because local (developed) node progression can affect changes in the content of distant (wilderness) ZOIs - such that higher level content can be available in distant (wilderness) ZOIs with Stage 0 nodes.

4: It is not possible to reach max level of the adventuring class without nodes at all. For several reasons. One being that everything players do affects the progression of nodes. Another being Jeff's assertion: "The goal is to kind of have the server level up with the population. And make sure there's a balanced availability of content for those different populations."
    The KS headstart will not be pay to win because nodes will be disabled in order to prevent us from leveling too quickly. Because adventure class leveling and artisan class progression are tied to node progression.

@Grisu
    I'm not trying to convince you.
    I'm just making sure that people -especially new people- understand that your statement: "You could go through the whole world leveling up in the wild without a node at all." is misleading.

Since you've graciously provided the quote.
    People can read it for themselves and reach their own conclusions.
  • I wonder if a lvl 1 player enters a zone where all castles and castles around it are maxxed out. Cause the mobs lvl with it in a way. Hope they make it right, but they probbaly will. 

So if that turns out this is going the be the same AS GW2 system, that would really suck cause i hate that.

• I'm not aware of mobs leveling with castles. Mobs level with nodes.

But, I expect Ashes to be the same as EQ and WoW when it comes to a Lev 1 character in a max level zone - run or die.
    Hope you eventually make it to a newbie zone.
  • I look at it as you are settling a hostile world. Not everything is going to be at your level, whether it is higher or lower. I don't think the actual zones encounters or content will change (besides in ways its tied to the node) so everyplace will have different mobs and quests of various levels. Now this will bring a cool and organic progression to the game if you get in at launch. The beginner areas will develop faster because they are easier to quest in and the later areas will be slower until more and more heros brave the dangers to grow the node.
  • Intuitively it seems that players spreading out from start zones will cause nodes surrounding those to be and stay at low to mid levels. this should create a scaled leveling experience at lower levels.
  • Its going to be interesting to see how nodes actually function for creating leveling content.  If a node stifles other nodes around it as it gets bigger and advances it creates an organic "leveling" arc for players.  Which means every area you move to you have to find the most developed node and figure out how it has effected the nodes around it.  Find the city, find the towns/villages around the city, survey the wilds around those.  

This also makes moving your character to extreme areas chancy because you haven't "grown up" in the area and don't know how things have progressed and what areas to avoid or go hunting in.

As interconnected as these systems are planned to be I see both points as valid in their own ways.  Can you level without personally trying to advance a node and by being the creepy loner ranger in the wilds?  Yes.  But you are still relying on the more urban players to progress their nodes and "level up" those very same wilds in at least some way.  So you can level and avoid towns/cities while still partially relying on other characters to not do the same.

It would be an interesting experiment to see what would happen in a server where no one bothered to invest in nodes outside of what the node does on its own and everyone just relied on whatever happened to appear without player investment..
    edited July 2018
    The world continues to change as players build different buildings.
    Like also depends on which race contributes most to the progressing the Stage.
    So, as we siege and re-build new types of mobs and different levels of mobs appear.

Some of us are adventurous enough to explore and map without killing stuff, so learning what is where shouldn't be much of a problem.
    Many ways -including exploration- to progress your character without relying on urban characters.
  • Surely you can level up to at least to level 10 without entering level 2 nodes? Everyone will start at level 1 when they first log in, and every node should be set to 0. That doesn't mean that just because all nodes in the world are undeveloped at first that there won't be any mobs or monsters around???  I can imagine people starting the game without any mobs lol .. Hey is the game finished !!! lol
  • They have never said Verra was unpopulated by wildlife, but instead the races fled in an exodus. Over time as corruption has diminished allowing for the gods to reopen the portals, those animals have been twisted and warped by corruption. But there will also be normal animals that managed to escape its effects. So there will indeed be mobs in the starter zones and the level 0 nodes surrounding those. As people start slaughtering the wildlife in a zone, the planet will react and tougher stuff will come out of the underbrush. Those on headstart servers will just have a longer time to slaughter bunnies until they start to see the world react to them. 
  • They have never said Verra was unpopulated by wildlife, but instead the races fled in an exodus. Over time as corruption has diminished allowing for the gods to reopen the portals, those animals have been twisted and warped by corruption. But there will also be normal animals that managed to escape its effects. So there will indeed be mobs in the starter zones and the level 0 nodes surrounding those. As people start slaughtering the wildlife in a zone, the planet will react and tougher stuff will come out of the underbrush. Those on headstart servers will just have a longer time to slaughter bunnies until they start to see the world react to them. 
    If there is a level 100 corrupted squirrel of doom, I will exit, stage left. :lol:  
    edited July 2018
    dmgavin said:
    If there is a level 100 corrupted squirrel of doom, I will exit, stage left. :lol:  

But if the squirrel is a biped and has huge fangs and large claws with wide shoulders and a two handed sword it would look cool and challenging. I always felt that when I see animals in their natural form and your wielding weapons and magic it kind of losses immersion. I mean it shouldn't have a chance ...