Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!

Content/Meta for players choosing to go red

13»

Comments

• There are a lot of people, though, who do not enjoy PvP outside of the specific engagements they choose to participate in (ie. Arenas and Battlegrounds). There is nothing wrong with that, they aren’t lesser people or in some way weird. They just choose to do PvP when they want, and do PvE when they want. 

Maybe they have had a rough day at work and just want to relax for half an hour before dinner and gather some herbs. They have zero interest in PvPing and legitimately feel as if their time in game has been ruined if they are summarily executed while peacefully gathering.

Yes, Ashes will have world PvP but it isn't a sole PvP game. There will be no PvE servers, so people who play will have nowhere to hide. But we must all be keenly aware that everyone who is going to play this game is a person and no one play style should be denigrated or invalidated just because it doesn’t happen to match 100% with ours. 

There will be tons of PvP options in Ashes – from attacking caravans to guild wars, to sieges (both castles and nodes), to people who are willingly flagging themselves for the chance to PvP. I really don’t think anyone is going to have to worry about a lack of flagged targets.

So why should we focus on that lone individual just doing their own thing. One must ask oneself:

• Why should that be the person that you are interested in?
    • What about that person going about their gaming, not bothering anyone else, attracts you above the others?
    • Why would it be so hard to just ignore that target?
    • What will you do if they do not fight back?

I hope that killing a single unflagged player turns the attacker red and begins the corruption scaling. Otherwise this will be gamed and griefing will be rife.

I plan on PvPing quite heavily, but that is my choice. If someone else chooses otherwise, this is no less valid.

• @Bajjer most of what you want to ask oneself has been beat to death in the pvp threads ad nauseam. The corruption mechanics as they have been explained so far can be found at the following link. Remember unless you see a developer or mod post information, it is all just wishlisting and general "If I had 30 million dollars to spend, this is what I would do!" posting. So take heart.
    http://www.ashesofcreation-the-odyssey.com/2017/07/pvp-flagging-and-corruption-system.html
  • @Bajjer most of what you want to ask oneself has been beat to death in the pvp threads ad nauseam.
    And no doubt will be a dozen times more before release. :)

The search function on the forums just doesn't work at all, but also people just like to discuss stuff. It might be the fiftieth time some have seen it, might be brand new for others. 

We have a long time until release and Intrepid are busy doing a billion things (and it's early days), so the actual information being released is very sporadic, so it's natural that we will hash, and rehash stuff again and again.

This exact thread will probably occur again in a few months time, and again, and again. That's ok. People are just hanging out, being enthusiastic, enjoying talking about stuff that interests them.

Man, if I had $30 million dollars to spend on an MMO... It'd be this one and I would add in Aerial Combat between Zeppelins - guilds could build and outfit their own Zeppelin and have battles in the sky (not able to interact with the ground) and farm special resources in the clouds!
  • Gothix said:
    Ferryman said:

Well actually killing one green player will make you corrupted straight away and it makes the most sense. If this happens after 3-4 kills, then we have that ganking/murder box game what "IS" wants to avoid.

(fixed it from SI, I'd rather not Sony Interactive take over Ashes, lol)

You have to understand folks and ladies, according to @Ferryman as soon as you kill 2 people, that is already griefing muder box hell world, ruled by worst scam that man kind has to offer... lol.

When you discuss things with him, you have to understand his perspective to be able to respond appropriately. :)

Omg now you are correcting typos when you have nothing more to say. Sorry if i had hurt your butt that much. 

And dont twist my words. I have not speaked about griefing or scamming at all and not actually speaked to you either, because i am bored of your nonsense. 
  • ArchivedUserArchivedUser Guest
    edited September 2017
    Ferryman said:

Omg now you are correcting typos when you have nothing more to say. Sorry if i had hurt your butt that much. 

And dont twist my words. I have not speaked about griefing or scamming at all and not actually speaked to you either, because i am bored of your nonsense. 

You kinda just prove my point by selecting your words in such delightful manner. I really have nothing more to add to this.

Also, if you will read my post again, you will see I am not speaking "to you". I am speaking "to other people" about your statements.

Now, move along. Let grown ups talk ok? :)
  • @Bajjer most of what you want to ask oneself has been beat to death in the pvp threads ad nauseam. The corruption mechanics as they have been explained so far can be found at the following link. Remember unless you see a developer or mod post information, it is all just wishlisting and general "If I had 30 million dollars to spend, this is what I would do!" posting. So take heart.
    http://www.ashesofcreation-the-odyssey.com/2017/07/pvp-flagging-and-corruption-system.html
    I really hope this system doesn't make it into the game. I believe the end result will be that green players will take advantage of it. I played a game with a very similar system and it was consistent  where people who were green would follow other players around tagging their quest targets, and taking their gathering nodes.

This would usually result in the player targeted by the harassment to attack the "Green" player, turning them Red and penalizing them. Now that you've successfully stopped this person from bothering you and disrupting your game play, they return, but with a higher level character or friends and since you are red are able to kill you without receiving any penalty. 

No matter what system you try to put into place people will find ways to take advantage. I think that a criminal system could be implemented into the game that rewards players for fighting criminals without much penalty beyond notoriety for the criminal. 

For example, Bob is a citizen of the economy node in the area, and he collecting lumber. Frank comes along and attacks Bob killing his player and taking his collected lumber. At this point Frank should receive Notoriety and a bounty for his crimes consistent with the laws for that specific node, as well as the ability for other players to increase the rewards from their own pocket. If Frank is caught and brought to justice a player could return to that node to claim the reward. 

Understanding there is a lot of trial and error that would go into a system like this but I think it would be the most immersive option. Also this would give some additional meaning to the government aspects of the node as well as could deter PVP in some areas because of a divine or economy node having strict non-violence laws.
  • Gothix said:
    Ferryman said:

Well actually killing one green player will make you corrupted straight away and it makes the most sense. If this happens after 3-4 kills, then we have that ganking/murder box game what "IS" wants to avoid.

(fixed it from SI, I'd rather not Sony Interactive take over Ashes, lol)

You have to understand folks and ladies, according to @Ferryman as soon as you kill 2 people, that is already griefing muder box hell world, ruled by worst scam that man kind has to offer... lol.

When you discuss things with him, you have to understand his perspective to be able to respond appropriately. :)

what is your problem gothic it's his opinion and if you disagree that's fine but don't be so crude in your words
    edited September 2017
    Did I say anything specifically bad about him? Nope.

Just pointing out how he "as soon you kill one single green player" already calls a game griefing murder box.

For me, that's funny.

And it's actually him that uses "delightful phrases" in a conversation. Shame you are blind to that.
  • Gothix said:
    Did I say anything specifically bad about him? Nope.

Just pointing out how he "as soon you kill one single green player" already calls a game griefing murder box.

For me, that's funny.

And it's actually him that uses "delightful phrases" in a conversation. Shame you are blind to that.
    You can have your opinion and it is fine its totally different than mine, but dont put words on my mouth. I have not talked about griefing in single post or even ment that with my comments. If you refer to murderbox, its something what devs have used themself and i am just copying that, so dont blame me or twist my words.
  • Ferryman said

If you refer to murderbox, its something what devs have used themself and i am just copying that

You are not just "copying" anything.

I'm quite sure devs haven't stated anywhere that as soon as you kill one green player "game is a murder box" which IS what YOU are implying with your comments.
  • Why PVP? 
    A. I despise griefing and ganking (easy or one sided PVP is less fun than even PVE)
    B. I despise PVP by permission 
    C. I despise instance PVP...

IMO:
    1. Players fighting players is far more demanding than fighting a computer.
    2. Makes me a better player for those few times I PVE
    3. PVP fights are the ones I remember forever. PVE not so much. 
    4. The pounding heart, tight muscles, yelling from a great PVP fight is climactic.
    5. Every PVP fight is very different than the last. 
    6. *Making my son cry when I kill him.. priceless. 

I understand some do not like PVP. I understand some PVP'ers are not moral. I understand there has to be some form of protection to not decrease the enjoyment of others in game. But I enjoy the danger of death at any moment. 

*I have been killing my son for the pat 5 years in various games. He has become a better PVP'er than I could ever imagine. He does not enjoy it all that much but he never runs from a fight! He would rather play with girls than his dad and for some reason he feels female players would not like it if he killed them. But killing him is way better than grounding him:) When he wins he runs around screaming and dancing which I find amusing and will remember always. I love my son enough to kill him!
  • So I am just going to assume that it is basically impossible to have a civil discussion about PvP mechanics without someone getting offended.

Yea... this does not surprise me, I have seen it a dozen other times.

With that said I am curious, the players calling other players murderers, gankers, PKers, etc. What MMOs have you played/do play? I only ask this because if you have never played a sandbox MMO how do you know its going to be the way you think it is. If you have not I suggest you go play one before investing time and money into this one. This whole forum war happens every time and once the PVE players get into the game they quickly realize that all of the concerns were minuscule in the grand scheme of things.

Let me clear the air here.. Just because a player is for OWPvP does not mean they just want to go around PKing. We just like Risk/Reward.

I for one would find it extremely boring and dull to not have to worry about getting killed in the open world at all. In MMOs were all you have to do at max levels is run dungeons over and over and over is just not fun. I don't care who you are if you honestly find enjoyment in that type of game play still you are seriously living under a rock and haven't tried a newer MMO in god knows how long. And for those that still think that is best possible way to deliver an MMO you should just stop following this game all together and go back to WoW or FF, because there are a million of those games out already please do not ruin this one for the rest of us that actually want a legit risk/reward system in place.

Now this thread has completely lost its original point which was, the devs should create limited/exclusive content or implement a meta for players that choose to go full bandit.

If you don't have anything to contribute on that point alone and want to complain about people wanting to PK just bite your tongue, you all are worse than cancer.

• Artimus said: wanting to PK just bite your tongue, you all are worse than cancer.
    One does love ones sense of perspective.
  • Gothix said:
    Ferryman said

If you refer to murderbox, its something what devs have used themself and i am just copying that

I'm quite sure devs haven't stated anywhere that as soon as you kill one green player "game is a murder box" which IS what YOU are implying with your comments.
    You are wrong again and you should check out backrounds before doing statements like that. Devs have said in one of their videos that CURRENT corruption system is there to prevent the game turn to ganking- and murderbox game. And if you have not noticed, current corruption system penalizes hard after first non combatant green player kill. 
  • Ferryman said:
    Gothix said:
    Ferryman said

You are wrong again and you should check out backrounds before doing statements like that. Devs have said in one of their videos that CURRENT corruption system is there to prevent the game turn to ganking- and murderbox game. And if you have not noticed, current corruption system penalizes hard after first non combatant green player kill. 
    We don't actually know how hard the system will penalize us per kill yet. Intrepid has not given us that information. They just said it would give us corruption and that eventually we would get to the point where we have a chance to drop gear and we won't be very effective in combat. We don't know if that will happen after 1 kill or 15 kills. Not yet at least.
  • Zastro said:
    Ferryman said:
    Gothix said:
    Ferryman said

We don't actually know how hard the system will penalize us per kill yet. Intrepid has not given us that information. They just said it would give us corruption and that eventually we would get to the point where we have a chance to drop gear and we won't be very effective in combat. We don't know if that will happen after 1 kill or 15 kills. Not yet at least.
    Well we have got some directinal information which tolds us something, but yeah we have to wait the excat numbers.. like we need to wait those for every part of the game actually.
  • Ferryman said:
    Zastro said:
    Ferryman said:
    Gothix said:
    Ferryman said

Well we have got some directinal information which tolds us something, but yeah we have to wait the excat numbers.. like we need to wait those for every part of the game actually.
    I feel like once we do get numbers, it will either cause more uproar or put people at ease. More than likely both. But that is what alphas and betas are for; finding that balance
  • The PvP system should be an open PvP system. Anytime, Anywhere, for Any reason. Just like Ultima Online 1997-2000.
    edited October 2017
    Killing a non-combatant is 3x the normal death penalty - seems to me "hard/harsh" is a valid way of describing that penalty, but that is subjective. Sure.

Following the earlier conversation...
    Ferryman stated that killing someone over a shirt in a store would be murder.
    Gothix argued that warriors killing other would not be murder.
    Both assertions are true.
    But, non-combatants are not warriors. Killing non-combatants is murder.
    Especially choosing to kill non-combatants in order to steal from them is murder.
    Even if it's only killing one non-combatant.
    Also, inference is different than implication.
    edited October 2017
    In Ashes green players are also warriors. In a conflict based open PvP MMO every single player is a warrior.

Green players are just the warriors that chose not to fight back (for whatever reason, reason is irrelevant here), or that didn't have time to fight back.

Someone walks around forest and sees another warrior (same level), to prevent threat to himself, he jumps and kills him before other warrior could even react (or wished to react), so that other warrior died green. It's still a warrior kill.

Regardless of that, we need an environment that provides an actual realistic danger, meaning LIKELIHOOD that another player will attack you.

We only want to reduce griefing (repeated kills of same target), but not an occasional kills of random people.

That's why I suggest rewarding first kill of particular target, ignoring next 2-3 kills, and only after that starting to stack corruption on player if he continues to follow around and kill same target. Corruption should be target based like that. After 6 hours counter could reset.

The above would provide realistic danger in the world, and still deter griefing.
    edited October 2017
    i said it before ill say it again! i love this system, its like coming back to an old friend in my case Lineage 2! which had the exact same system in place!

this flaging system works great, it prevents high lvl players to grief or to gank either low lvl players, or those that don't have any interest in pvp ( and i also say this again: yes scary but there are actually people that don't like pvp ... crazy isn't it? )

That said, the system does not prevent you from taking a risk and killing some one! It just puts you in a dangerous spot as its easier to lose gear up on death! TBH its one of the most honest systems out there since it caters to both pvp and non pvp folk! If you have anything against this system its clear that you really want to go the rough path which i totally get and maybe find myself doing as well!

What i will say to the OP though, if you are worried that things might turn out to be to "care bear", you might want to consider that there are 5 metro's on the map! that's potential for a lot of conflict between guilds and large alliances that ultimately will feel nothing short of working like their own factions! trust me, i see much more PvP on the horizon then you are thinking there is going to be in this game! And even more so the system will make sure that most PvP stays between these groups, rather then some non PvP player getting caught up in the middle ... which is fine if you ask me!  

Just to sum up some reasons to pvp would be:

- fight for different nodes and thus different content to unlock ( bosses you might need materials from only that boss drops ) or simply because your guild had other plans for that zone
    - fight over castle ownership
    - fight and robe a caravan
    - fight rivaling guilds
    - fight over world bosses

and if all else fails you could still go on a killing spree and risk everything .... but do note that you will do it with the full conviction you can lose more then you bargain for!

Edit: for true red meta content you assume you can stay perma red, i do not think this be will possible. You could obviously insert a "pirate faction" but if you look at what i wrote above. Factions will establish them zelfs over time when the metro's are created, and politics take place! AoC leans heavy on player created content, establishing your own rival is part of that i believe!