Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!

Game pad players?

Hey everyone out there. I just stumbled across this game and I am already chewing the seat in front of me in anticipation.
So far from what I have seen there are not too many skills to worry about managing. This leads me to believe that it could work (as it exists now) on a game pad. I was just wondering, who else out there is gonna try and make it work on a game pad? If you are, what program/controller do you prefer to run?

Comments

• First off welcome to the community @salmoncat33 , on the gamepad question I do not think they have said anything regarding them yet. With the skill numbers as they stand now I could see gamepad being supported at some point.

• It has been answered, just not definitely. They are developing the game for pc/keyboard and MAY look at putting in controller support down the line, they haven't decided yet. So, a non-answer, but at least you know they have thought about it.
    Look around livestream #10 or in Intrepid_Answers on Discord for a quote.
  • It has been answered, just not definitely. They are developing the game for pc/keyboard and MAY look at putting in controller support down the line, they haven't decided yet. So, a non-answer, but at least you know they have thought about it.
    Look around livestream #10 or in Intrepid_Answers on Discord for a quote.
    Thanks for the info from the live stream. I guess I should have been more clear. What I meant was, is anyone else going to map their own gamepad layout using a program. I like running xpadder myself and often find my own custom controls easier for me to use then ones implemented in some games, ESO I'm looking at you. Honestly I just assume most games will not have native support on the pc.
  • No official confirmation, but you can always create your own "gamepad support".

Programs like x360ce, Xpadder or Joytokey work well and you can customize key mapping or even key combinations (which will be required if you want to cast all skills).
  • FliP said:
    No official confirmation, but you can always create your own "gamepad support".

Programs like x360ce, Xpadder or Joytokey work well and you can customize key mapping or even key combinations (which will be required if you want to cast all skills).
    Exactly, and that is why I was asking who else in the community, besides myself, is going to use a program like that.

As I said I like xpadder for my support. I also love my xbox elite controller even though it requires frequent repairs because of the stupid bumpers breaking grrr. But, I have started using the paddles on it more and they are sweet.
  • I've no real idea what you're all talking about, any of you - pads and all that...but great you're in the Community anyway @salmoncat33!
    Er, is it that you like to eat salmon (or cats! :o  ) or have either as a pet? Why the intriguing name?
    Welcome!
  • Well I don't eat salmon or cats, and my only pets are dogs. A long time ago I wanted a handle that I could take with me to any forum or game and not have to worry about it being taken already. So I stuck two random animals together and bam! salmoncat was born.
  • Well I don't eat salmon or cats, and my only pets are dogs. A long time ago I wanted a handle that I could take with me to any forum or game and not have to worry about it being taken already. So I stuck two random animals together and bam! salmoncat was born.
    you make it sound so normal ^^
  • Frankenname - I guess Dr. Frankenstein had similar ideas...
  • These things go hand on hand with other slightly requested things like VR. Too expensive for the most part for company to support that, because no demand. But smaller things like managing a shop from an app could be a thing, and is a thing in few games. And welcome :)
  • It all comes down to how much of the core API they need to release out to people to get tweaks and stuff to work. The more they open up for everyone's personal wish list, the easier it is for people to fuck it all up. If they build it for game controllers from the beginning, then the tweaks to their UI are minimal to allow for that to happen. From a cost perspective not that big a hit. If you are talking about VR (which is in its infancy so the chase the dragon of tech part of it is much higher) then you are talking about whole different design. If adapting to VR was easy you would have seen Bethesda slap it on Fallout 4 within a month of release,  not two years later.
    And for those in the camp of "I do what I want and they can't stop me from using 3rd party programs to parse or add controller support!" it is going to be a healthy helping of schadenfreude for the rest of us when you get false flagged by Panopticon or one of the other in-game systems for aberrant packages and catch a ban.
  • Welcome @salmoncat33! With so many controllers out there for games such as WoW, that does not have native controller support, I would guess they would have you go that route. Not to say that if there was enough support for the idea that they might build it in. Controllers do limit what a game can do though, with that it may never be an option to go full support for a console controller.
  • A warm welcome to you @salmoncat33 :smiley:
  • Welcome to our community!
  • Welcome to the community. I hope you have fun on the forum.
  • Welcome to the community @salmoncat33!
  • @salmoncat33 i use the razer orbweaver and with synapse you can make the buttons on the game pad to be what ever keys you want so i dont see why wyou wouldent be able to play with a game pad i am unsure about other game pads because i only have this one.
  • if you need a further explanation i would be happy to help you. @salmoncat33
  • which one do you use?
  • Hello @salmoncat33 o/ and welcome to the community :)
  • ArchivedUserArchivedUser Guest
    edited October 2017
    which one do you use?

Well as I said earlier I use an xbox 1 elite controller. For my mapping lay out I use xpadder. I have not worked with other programs much but I have yet to find somthing I cant get it to do.
    For instance, I can make the x button be 1 action when just pressed, another action when held for .2 seconds and released, and yet another action if held for longer then a second. It is also possible to set it up for sequences where every press to loop through a pattern.
    This allows for a lot of customization to get the game play to exactly what I want.

In truth though I tend to only set up my controllers for combat with an accept and back button on it. I tend to use a keyboard and touch pad for menu navigation.

*edited for grammar
  • Welcome @Salmoncat33 to this warm and fuzzy community! :)
  • Welcome to the family!