Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!

Should season follow real world change?

I think it was said the seasons cycle will change within each month of game play. But too me that just doesn't feel right. What about real world holidays, if we do in game events based on real world holidays, it will look odd doing Christmas in a summer setting, and Halloween in winter. I love the idea of having seasons in the game, and it effects the area, but should the cycle be slowed down a bit?

What do you guys think?

Comments

• Each server will be different. They have stated a couple different times that seasons may change or be lengthened due to server specific events such as an endless winter in some areas due to boss mechanics. We know that certain areas of the world will be colder or hotter than others year round.
  • No, the in game world will progress on its own and should also have its own time.

However, this doesn't stop IS from making seasonal events.
  • Not like winter winter, but with times its cool like word of warcraft has. When you log in when its night its also night ingame. 

• According to which "real world change"? 

You know Southern Hemisphere have their christmas in Summer right? 

You can check this season chart depending on the location;
    https://tr.scribd.com/doc/24990884/Chart-of-Seasons-and-Months-Around-the-World
  • ArchivedUserArchivedUser Guest
    edited October 2017
    lol yea there is this thing called the southern hemisphere, you know the bottom half of that big blue globe we all live on, and well hate to break it to you but we have Christmas in the summer time, shocking I know. :)
    I will love to see the seasons change in AOC and will be finding a part of the world where they do change just for that reason. As for in game events I hope they can relate them in some way into the lore of Verra and thus make these events feel like they are part of the worlds history and have a reason for being.
  • I don't really get the difference between the choices "I like the planned idea" and "no" but yeah, I already like it the way they announced it.
  • Having to match each season cycle to the RW seasons per server would be too much. I don't think their day/night cycles are based on RW 12 hour-ish cycles either. So the seasons in Ashes would be dramatically longer if we counted days/season in Ashes with seasons that reflect the real world.
  • Who says it has to follow earth seasons 
  • I like that fantasy doesn't have to follow real life
  • Real world can stay real world. Fantasy world can stay fantasy world  B)
  • No thank you. :)

• Hard to follow real life seasons when my seasons in Chicago are so much different from the seasons in Melbourne, Austrailia....in fact they are opposite, lol.
  • So.. we will be forced to follow US seasons? oO
    What about places that have shorter periods in some seasons? 
    Or like places where there never snows? oO
    Or places where there's always snow?
  • Ziltch said:
    So.. we will be forced to follow US seasons? oO

Ummm nooooooooooooooo Who said the US has it's own special seasons haha

Mainly I am thinking the one mouth cycle is too short, IMO it should be a little longer. If following real world seasons is too hard, just find the happy middle ground.

edited October 2017
    Granthor said:
    Ziltch said:
    So.. we will be forced to follow US seasons? oO

Ummm nooooooooooooooo Who said the US has it's own special seasons haha

Mainly I am thinking the one mouth cycle is too short, IMO it should be a little longer. If following real world seasons is too hard, just find the happy middle ground.

hmm, sarcasm failed oO damn you internet making it hard for tone of voice to come out *shakes fist*
    I think a month/two weeks per sesaon is fine tbh
    Also, last I heard they mentioned 1 week per sesaon, not 1 month, they might have said 1 month since then though but I've not come across it oO
  • I, personally, don't mind how long a season in Ashes will last, but you can't just follow "real world seasons" as something like that doesn't excist. Some areas in the world only have 2 seasons. Some areas have 8 months winter, while others have no winter at all. 

Naah, let Ashes has it's own cycle.
  • No, some players aren't (me for example) aren't able to play during summer because of work and I hope I would have Verra Summer during irl winter to keep me worm
  • I don't see the sun often in Scotland - so I need Verra many summers in Ashes to remind me of good weather!

In addition I feel weekly cycles within a month is enough to keep gathering and crafting exciting and not have resource starvation!

It also allows flexibility for seasons to be shortened/lengthened etc and feel the impact :3

I'm excited for season :3 
  • We'll be in another world!   Who says it's atmospheric conditions will be the same as earth?   
  • We'll be in another world!   Who says it's atmospheric conditions will be the same as earth?   
    This ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
  • Diura said:
    I don't see the sun often in Scotland -
    I'd gladly argue that where I live in the sticks of Wales has as much if not more rainfall than Scotland, though if I'm being objective here, I think Inverness wins! Roll on the hot desert and the snowy hills of Ashes ;)
    edited October 2017
    I would like to see real life themed events though, with Verra lore relevant reasons behind them.

Like Halloween=Celebration of @Nagash's Death Day

Christmas=St Steven's Day (which is an actual holiday on 12/26 apparently)

Labor Day=Tulnar Appreciation Day

Thanksgiving=Give Karthos Food Day
  • Karthos said:
    I would like to see real life themed events though, with Verra lore relevant reasons behind them.

Like Halloween=Celebration of @Nagash's Death Day

Christmas=St Steven's Day (which is an actual holiday on 12/26 apparently)

Labor Day=Tulnar Appreciation Day

Thanksgiving=Give Karthos Food Day

I dunno about St. Stevens Day hanging sandals isn't a good idea.  The coal would fall through the straps.  Then how would we keep the fire place going?

edited October 2017
    The question is really more about matching Ashes seasons with real-world seasonal holidays.
    And real-world seasonal holidays really means US seasonal holidays.
  • Dygz said:
    The question is really more about matching Ashes seasons with real-world seasonal holidays.
    And real-world seasonal holidays really means US seasonal holidays.
    USA, USA, USA!
  • Kratz said:
    Diura said:
    I'd gladly argue that where I live in the sticks of Wales has as much if not more rainfall than Scotland, though if I'm being objective here, I think Inverness wins! Roll on the hot desert and the snowy hills of Ashes ;)
    Welshies Unite.
  • A lot of people made valid points but I want the game to have its own seasons so the "fantasy world stays a fantasy world"
  • Ashes should not have earth related holidays. It should have it's own, completely unrelated to Earth.
  • Kratz said:
    Diura said:
    Welshies Unite.
    Didn't know you were Welsh, you'll have to show us your singing voice in your next podcast. :p