Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!

Weapon Progression

This is all brainstormed. Please leave constructive comments down below on how this could be better, or what is wrong about it. Thanks ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

How does this sound?

·         A weapon system based on character level.

·         When you get a weapon, it has three (or more) different states, normal (like BDO green weapons), good (BDO blue weapons), and rare (BDO yellow weapons). They can be acquired like normal (killing monsters, crafting, bosses, NPC purchases, etc.)

·         The weapons get better, the more you use them ( like workers in BDO get new abilities every 5 level, when you use them, max being level 30). Every (certain) amount of levels your weapon goes up, it will get a new buff or perk (like +5 dmg to undead, or range +7). The effectiveness of the perks will be based on weapon rarity and RNG (like when you level up a horse in BDO, the skills you get are generated by RNG). When your weapon hits the max level, you can reset perks you don’t want by lowering your weapon level (BDO when your worker hits max level you can reset one of his skills).

·         Instead of a RNG progression system, the weapons can use artifacts that the players can get from doing world activities (killing monsters, crafting, bosses, NPC purchases, etc.) You can have up to five artifacts in a weapon.

·         These artifacts will have attributes like elemental properties.

·         These artifacts will determine the weapons overall rank, using an average system. If the artifacts are ranked by rarity, 5-star being the rarest, your weapons rank will be a combination of the five artifacts in your weapon (If you have [5,5,4,3,5] your weapon is 4.4/5 ,so like legendary).

The artifacts could apply to weapons and armor, some dealing more damage to others, while some be dealing decent damage to all. When you add an artifact to your gear, it will be destroyed when removed. Damage from your weapon could be based on your artifact choices. 

Comments

• What's the goal of your system? Why do you want it?
    Is this a special kind of weapon or do you want all weapons to function like this?
    Does everyone upgrade their gear this way or is one way to get good gear?
    What's the rational for this happening, why is my sword getting stronger as i beat it against things?

• What's the goal of your system? Why do you want it?
    Is this a special kind of weapon or do you want all weapons to function like this?
    Does everyone upgrade their gear this way or is one way to get good gear?
    What's the rational for this happening, why is my sword getting stronger as i beat it against things?

The goal of the system is to be an alternative progression system to  RNG progression. 

Another goal is to create variety with gear. Weapons will have there own strengths and weaknesses, based on how they're built.

I feel like RNG is a good way to add variety to something, but RNG-Controlled progression can be discouraging.

Everyone acquires gear the same way, but the goal is variety based on options presented to the player. How they choose to customize their weapons. 

I would prefer this to be a Non-RNG progression option that takes a bit of time and effort.

(If I was testing with idea) I would add weapon lore (or back story) explaining why weapons get stronger the more you use them.
  • ArchivedUserArchivedUser Guest
    edited October 2017
    Why not just have blacksmithing to make it better or enchanting insted of a system like this?
    It would give more value to being a blacksmith or enchanter insted of being able to just upgrade your weapon like this on your own.
  • well i agree that weapon mastery kind of perk would be nice. 
    but rather than rng i would have it more choice based. like every lvl or so many lvls certain stats goes up depending on your choice/preference/gameplay
  • I prefer a RNG progression system just because everyone having the same gear is boring.
    RNG is fine for me, but losing enchantment or breaking gear if enchantment fails is not.

As for gear types, I also prefer the usual Common (grey), Uncommon (green), Rare (blue) and whatever comes next is usually different from game to game. Maybe Legendary (Yellow), Mythic (red) and Divine (Orange).
  • I hate super intense RNG. Mainly because mine is always terrible. It's good in most cases, but just pure RNG is quite annoying. Work and playtime should be rewarded more than your luck, but mainly performance. I do like a weapon mastery type skill though.
  • Personally, I like the idea of the artifacts and the enhancement of the weapon with them. Id sugged to add even levels to the weapons. So you can have a legendary weapon crafted while you are still low/medium level.
    Also, I won't be the same level 15 legendary weapon than level 30, and so on.
  • I like to have diversity in gear and not everyone having to walk around with the same gear. Its very boring seeing the same character types grinding for the same gear set because its the one you must have for that character. I hope the developers of Ashes of Creation make a gear system that allows us to be unique to our play style since we have so many choices on what are character combinations can be.
  • I like to have diversity in gear and not everyone having to walk around with the same gear. Its very boring seeing the same character types grinding for the same gear set because its the one you must have for that character. I hope the developers of Ashes of Creation make a gear system that allows us to be unique to our play style since we have so many choices on what are character combinations can be.
    This is actually one of the aspects that I'm most interested in also. I really like the idea that all armor types are available for all classes but I hope they do a better job than ZoS did with ESO. I hated the way they dealt with armor passives and armor diversity. If it all boiled down to gravy there wasn't enough to cover a chicken fried stake as all roles were basically pigeon holed in the end. Yes, you could technically wear any armor, but there was absolutely no reason too due to the passives.
  • The idea you are suggesting is highly unlikely to happen. Gear will break. There is a durability stat associated with it, that reduces permanently and limits how often you can repair your gear. If you want to keep a specific item, it will be very costly. This means that, for your system to work, a player would be required to pay that high cost consistently. While I agree that RNG upgrading is ass, people aren't always consistent, and so is your character. Maybe there could be RNG involved in crafting the weapon, where the chance for getting it higher quality increases every time it fails (failstacks) and/or by using better materials. There could also be experience associated with creating the same item, so that you would consistently yield better results the more often you craft it. Crafting is a huge thing in Ashes, so I expect quality to be tied to that mostly.
  • Ruby437 said:
    The idea you are suggesting is highly unlikely to happen. Gear will break. There is a durability stat associated with it, that reduces permanently and limits how often you can repair your gear. If you want to keep a specific item, it will be very costly. This means that, for your system to work, a player would be required to pay that high cost consistently. While I agree that RNG upgrading is ass, people aren't always consistent, and so is your character. Maybe there could be RNG involved in crafting the weapon, where the chance for getting it higher quality increases every time it fails (failstacks) and/or by using better materials. There could also be experience associated with creating the same item, so that you would consistently yield better results the more often you craft it. Crafting is a huge thing in Ashes, so I expect quality to be tied to that mostly.
    Is this confirmed? If so, I'd like to see a source to be sure, as this is a big deal.

Normally, the durability stat is meant to indicate how much fight is left in your weapon before you have to see a blacksmith and repair it for a small fee. 

If each repair reduces a counter that will permanently destroy your weapon once the counter reaches 0, then this is not how Intrepid should #MakeMMOsGreatAgain
  • I can't find a quote that supports the 0% not able to be repaired idea being thrown around above. I do have this one.

So since the item will become unusable at 0%, then have "increasing its repair costs" tagline after it, you can pretty much infer that allowing your weapon or armor to break will cost you a pretty penny in upkeep. It all comes down to how much of a sink they make it. If you are having to repair every 3 fights or lose half your durability on a single dungeon run, people are going to whine about it being too onerous. If you make decay negligible so it isn't a factor, you unbalance the economy. One of those great things we get to give feedback on over the next couple years.
  • FliP said:
    Ruby437 said:
    The idea you are suggesting is highly unlikely to happen. Gear will break. There is a durability stat associated with it, that reduces permanently and limits how often you can repair your gear. If you want to keep a specific item, it will be very costly. This means that, for your system to work, a player would be required to pay that high cost consistently. While I agree that RNG upgrading is ass, people aren't always consistent, and so is your character. Maybe there could be RNG involved in crafting the weapon, where the chance for getting it higher quality increases every time it fails (failstacks) and/or by using better materials. There could also be experience associated with creating the same item, so that you would consistently yield better results the more often you craft it. Crafting is a huge thing in Ashes, so I expect quality to be tied to that mostly.
    Is this confirmed? If so, I'd like to see a source to be sure, as this is a big deal.
    Steven has stated that there will be item durability in Ashes and that there is a potential to destroy gear. It's not as simple as 0% means the gear is destroyed. 
    Source: MMORPG Podcast 13-05-2017 (25:55) - direct link to audio

Other relevant quotes:

• The old wow system like you could train on fists, swords, maces etc. But its not necessary. But there could be a system but not benificial or something in my oppinion. Maybe weapon emotes or different styles of attack but noting + or -.
  • I'd like to see something along the lines of not having to get a new weapon every few levels and have it so people become attached to their weapons. I think it should be able to be upgraded through difficult questing, raids, and dungeons. Not like world of warcraft with AP but more like I beat this legendary raid boss so I got some kind of new technique to upgrade my weapon. Maybe have it so blacksmiths and such can get new knowledge to make better weapons and armor from challenging content. So a top tier blacksmith is also a top tier raider.
  • what could happen is you become more proficient at using that type of weapon the more you use it that why they can still have it break and will be able to let your use of the weapon carry over to the next one  
  • ArchivedUserArchivedUser Guest
    edited October 2017
    My favorite crafting material system is still SWG.
    You had varying "stats" on the resources you farmed, so you could make batches of weapons with stats, but once that resource supply was depleted, the final item stats would change with whatever the new resource stats would look like.

Example:  (super simplified) - you have a 95% purity iron ore in Zone A, and a 78% purity iron ore in Zone C.  You farm a bunch of zone A iron ore, or buy it from gatherers.  A week later the resources shift and now you've got a 77% and a 54% spawn.  So that 95% ore is now much more valuable and you're cranking out Iron Longswords with stats that are higher than the materials that can be farmed presently.  Maybe it's 4 months before you see another spawn that is over 90%.
  • @Tayosis SWG was by far my favorite too. They answered specifically in an earlier stream that while they want it have depth similar to it, individual resources with changing stat percentages based on spawn was NOT going to happen. Just a vague "there will be many and varied resources." The presence of people who worked on SWG on the team though gives hope that it will be that in depth even if not exactly the same.
  • YzKing said:

·         A weapon system based on character level.

I would not like that, how would that be explained lore wise? Weapons growing with their owner?
    It would also render weapon crafting way more useless.

YzKing said:

·         The weapons get better, the more you use them ( like workers in BDO get new abilities every 5 level, when you use them, max being level 30). Every (certain) amount of levels your weapon goes up, it will get a new buff or perk (like +5 dmg to undead, or range +7). The effectiveness of the perks will be based on weapon rarity and RNG (like when you level up a horse in BDO, the skills you get are generated by RNG). When your weapon hits the max level, you can reset perks you don’t want by lowering your weapon level (BDO when your worker hits max level you can reset one of his skills).

There already kinda is a system like that in place. 
    As of now, every type of weapon has its own Progression.
    Each type of weapon changes the first skill in the skillbar.
    During the progression you can add effects to that skill that adds modifiers to the skill, like conditional effects that procc on combo.
    Source

YzKing said:

·         Instead of a RNG progression system, the weapons can use artifacts that the players can get from doing world activities (killing monsters, crafting, bosses, NPC purchases, etc.) You can have up to five artifacts in a weapon.

See point above.
    And personally I find the system to sound too random, ruins the value of crafters as well as making things unecessarily complex, as well as not being able to how it would make sense lore wise.