Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!

What type of expansions are you guys hoping to see in Ashes of Creation?

Hey everyone, I was just thinking about expansions from World of Warcraft then I started thinking about Ashes of Creation expansions. Was just kind of curious what kind of expansions everyone thinks and hopes the Intrepid team will add. I also don't know if expansions for them will be a new area with new nodes and new land maybe some new mobs or if it means adding a whole series of quests or both!

I personally hope they add some kind of underwater expansion! I know they already said they will have underwater stuff but I don't know if it's just a big dark blue thing with some treasure chests or what. I'd love to have a huge underwater zone with nodes, Maybe they could add some type of way to move better underwater? Like transformation spells to become fish(weird idea but I don't know! Maybe underwater fish you can ride?). So we could have epic underwater nodes with sea weed forests, coral reefs and lagoons! Haven't found much games with actual constant underwater gameplay. World of Warcraft had Vash'jir but it was just a zone which you spent maybe 5 hours of game play in if that!

Anyways, just wanted to see what kinds of things you hope Intrepid will add with expansions and such!

Comments

• I just want the game to come out first.

Kind of like how I'd like to fall in love and get married before I contimplate who to hire as a divorce attorney.
  • Karthos said:
    I just want the game to come out first.

Kind of like how I'd like to fall in love and get married before I contimplate who to hire as a divorce attorney.
    Hey, Karthos.... BOO!

• I've been thinking about this actually... I'm anticiating that most of the things that are going to be implemented might be scaled back for whatever reason and will be added in a DLC.

More Pets
    More Mounts
    New class (thats like 1-2 years after release though)
    Ship battle patch(to fix the problem that will arise from sea combat, i.e aiming, movement)
    Arena modes(like Mount battles or something *cough cough*)

Annnd more more more.

• A question that's been asked 3 years in advance.

What do we know about the base game that we hope an expansion?
  • We most likely won't see "expansions" as people have come to know them for a couple years at least. What we will see is added content and mechanics in small monthly to 6 week increments, with a larger update quarterly. Once they have stabilized everything that they didn't have time for in the testing phase, have added all the bells and whistles that they have discussed, then they might task some people for a large, overarching content drop with new lands and such. Ultimately it comes down to the success and stability of the game once it reaches subscription plateau around the 3 month mark after live. Since we have a firm commitment of no paid DLC ever just sub cost, they break themselves from the cycle of content drought, milk for quick cash, content drought, milk for quick cash. If they fail to update the game in a timely manner with new stuff, people will unsub, giving them fewer resources to create content, leading to more unsubs, and the slow whirl around the drain to irrelevancy begins.
  • It's a little early to be talking expansions really. Let the game come out, then we will know where it needs to go from there.

Having said that, any expansion needs to add a new area. That's the general idea behind expansion. What that would be? again it's way to early to even talk about it, until we know what we have day one of the game.

• Chudyie said:
    I've been thinking about this actually... I'm anticiating that most of the things that are going to be implemented might be scaled back for whatever reason and will be added in a DLC.

More Pets
    More Mounts
    New class (thats like 1-2 years after release though)
    Ship battle patch(to fix the problem that will arise from sea combat, i.e aiming, movement)
    Arena modes(like Mount battles or something *cough cough*)

Annnd more more more.

.../slaps forehead.

We don't even know what WILL be in the game and already you are asking for more? I......just unbelievable.

..../skulks off mumbling something about patience and typical Milennial thinking.
  • Since its tottaly player driven, i would love to see a expansion that adds another land wich is full of AI castles and villages, and we as a community have to defeat them as a whole.

In the end expansions that give is more  land to explore, new creatures, maybe a dragon island where a huge world boss flying around wich is so hard it takes months before the first guild takes him down or whatever xD

Probbaly wont be but a idea like that would be cool.
  • ArchivedUserArchivedUser Guest
    edited October 2017
    I wouldn't like to see expansions adding new areas and focusing on these.
    Instead they should keep making updates to refine existing mechanics and enhanced story parts within the existing game world. In short, add mechanics and details that would have been to expensive to implement in the launch game.

Just another piece of land with a new story but basicaly the same stuff to do while abandoning the old content doesnt do it for me. 
  • can you expand on what has not been released? 
  • You can always expand something that isn't released yet  B)  :D Think out of the box..... that's logical.....
  • ArchivedUserArchivedUser Guest
    edited October 2017
    You can always expand something that isn't released yet  B)  :D Think out of the box..... that's logical.....
    the last time someone did that reality tv was invented. so I will stay in my box thank you very much  
  • I think I'll reserve my judgement until I actually know what's in the base game. Seems like there's going to be plenty to keep my occupied for a long time and that's what counts. :)
  • Expansion 1: Red Portals

Mysterious portals have appeared in the world, they glow with dark red light and when ventured through you come into Dark Verra, a world existing in a different dimension, a bit different then original... with some interesting twists to it.

Expansion 2: Space Oddisey

A portal has opened that lead brave explorers to a moon in Verras orbit. Moon was said to be inhabitated by a new mysterious race, and lots of ancient legenrady ruins, ready to be explored. Something dark also lurks there...

Expansion 3: Armageddon

Huge asteroid is hurling towards Verra threatening to extinguish all life (besides Tulnar). Brave warriors are embarking into space ships, equipped with nukes that need to be exploded on the asteroid...

Ok... nvm, forget expansion 3... I probably went too far.