Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!

Freehold conceptual design systems and ways to implement them

ArchivedUserArchivedUser Guest
edited October 2017 in Ashes of Creation Design
I'd love to see similar design similarities as Wildstar's Housing system in Ashes of Creation freeholds and other player housing, the way it was done in Wildstar left a nice impression on me as it was rather nice and allowed the player to create a somewhat unique and inspirational house.

The reason i am mentioning this is that it can also promote other game systems such as a crafting profession for decors or other freehold related systems.

To that extend what am suggesting is that being able to buy, earn and craft freehold specific items, Music Themes, Decoration, and more eg. Freeholds specific music, if a visitor shows up in your freehold they can listen to something different and unique, with a music system like that it means you could buy music packs to support the game maybe if you are good with a music instrument you can also craft music for your freehold keeping it lore friendly.

in simple words that could mean:

Giving people the option to earn special things for their freehold. Imagine visiting a friends freehold/house, okay? And that Friend unlocked a special Halloween Music theme or something that you can listen to on his spooky freehold, music or you can look at his cool decorations - nothing that directly affects the gameplay, other than the stuff could drop from events or bosses. Nothing that gives you an advantage over others, other than you might feel like your Freehold or the Freehold of your friend is special and unique in its own way.

Those things could drop from Bosses or Events ingame, if it's not earned with real money or bought from the shop, can even be tradable with other players; which could be good for the economy. Players could even open a shop and sell music-themes for freeholds.

So overall, systems like the ones mentioned above could be used to expand and be build upon the freehold system and player owned housing, with potential benefits to both the in-game economy, player interaction and outside the game ashes financials via potential cosmetics/vanity items.

Thanks to Murum#6642 from discord who helped bigtime with this, thanks.

Comments

• I adore Wildstar's housing system too, so I agree. I would however prefer a somewhat easier to navigate menu. And no weird currencies. If you buy a plot, it should come with basics to fill in your freehold. But yea, a housing system similar to that would be absolutely amazing. I've had the pleasure of visiting some exceptionally beautiful homes.
  • ArchivedUserArchivedUser Guest
    edited October 2017
    I like a system like this, it should have the basic or rather the default furniture/music to come with the freehold/house, but i am not against and would like dropped content event-wise or otherwise that is lore-friendly and of course store-cosmetic-wise content as a form to support the game(like things that already exist in backer packages in a way), the more variety the better. <3
    edited October 2017
    I'm slightly confused. Is the music precomposed by the game or do you want me to get my music theory books back out and right it for my homestead. Would there be anything keeping me from transposing real world songs?
  • I do like the idea, because i also do like the Wildstar housing system!!!
  • The Sims ashes edition 
  • I think I would really enjoy a housing/freehold idea implemented in the game. Depending on how they would set up such a system, to incorporate the system they already have in place to do with Taverns and such will be interesting.  
  • nagash said:
    The Sims ashes edition 
    That would be great. My wife would play the crap outta that and would let me play more without the guilt 
    edited October 2017
    Althor said:
    I'm slightly confused. Is the music precomposed by the game or do you want me to get my music theory books back out and right it for my homestead. Would there be anything keeping me from transposing real world songs?
    I think in this case it's both but not exactly like the way you said it on the second part, i believe there where talks about musical instruments in the game that players could use? correct me if am wrong but i think the author meant that players could potentially use those instruments to somehow create a musical tune, save it and then have it play over in their housing(the instruments i assume would have some predefined beats on them like other games in which case the player will be mixing up those themes in a game like way.).
  • You have to consider, though, that wildstar had instanced freeholds while Ashes will have open world freeholds.

The amount of detail wildstar had in freholds, placed into open world, and then multiply with many freeholds in an area would likely kill the server.

Tbh, I would like to add that I'm a big fan of housing, and decorating your own space, so, as long as it's made appropriate for open world, I'm all for extra options.
  • Gothix said:
    Tbh, I would like to add that I'm a big fan of housing, and decorating your own space, so, as long as it's made appropriate for open world, I'm all for extra options.
    I agree with this that open world freeholds will indeed be great but we'll have to accept that maybe it'll come with a cost. I too am a fan of housing but I realise that some things may not be practical to include. The kids have already had the boot. :p