Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Dungeon and Raid Concepts

I am making this post for actual ideas and discussion, NOT A FLAME WAR! If you don’t like someone’s idea, then ignore it, or come up with a reason why it might not work and offer some helpful criticism.

Dungeons and raids are generally most if not all of the endgame for all mmorpgs. I have seen it done SOOOO RIGHT (Tera), and some done SOOOO WRONG (Last Chaos), but at the end of the day this is just my opinion. I want dungeons and raids that are a bit more than just fight through waves of monsters, kill sponge, and obtain loot. I mean you can TECHNICALLY boil all dungeons and raids down to that being the most basic, but I have seen bosses have mechanics that keep you running around and thinking about your placement and skills the entire time. Making me actually think during a boss fight is amazing and I love it when game devs actually put some thought into their dungeons and raids other than “How is this going to make us money?”

One of the concepts I have is inspired by Destiny’s sliding mechanic where on certain surfaces you just slide across like it’s ice. I love that mechanic and would love to see a dungeon or raid built around this mechanic. Something like a giant ice dragon capable of creating the ice and it would stay on the ground for a certain amount of time making you and your team slide around on it while fighting. Or you could make it so that you must slide down a tunnel and avoid objects and you slide and defend against enemies.

Or maybe a raid where you start out being chased by the final boss and must fight through enemies while avoiding the boss until you make it to a relic that weakens the boss so it can be damaged.

Lets see what else you guys can come up with :smile:

Comments

• Options
    Image result for did you say flame war gif
  • Options
    Image result for did you say flame war gif
    Classic U.S.E
  • Options
    If they make dungeons and raids as difficult as Wildstar's were when it launched and also have neat/unique/fun mechanics I will never complain about them :)
  • Options
    ArchivedUserArchivedUser Guest
    edited October 2017
    You realize that death penalties as explained so far apply to pve also. Going to test a lot of relationships when you incur a time/exp debt because your friend keeps wiping you. Going to laugh my ass off when the "I want them to be as difficult as Dark Souls bosses." crowd starts to whinge and whine after testing starts. I am all for interesting mechanics, and don't mind if I bork myself, but since we know they are balancing for 8 man groups, someone is going to get yelled at every time a group wipes.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hooKVstzbz0
  • Options
    I do understand that and my thoughts remain the same 
  • Options
    You realize that death penalties as explained so far apply to pve also. Going to test a lot of relationships when you incur a time/exp debt because your friend keeps wiping you. Going to laugh my ass off when the "I want them to be as difficult as Dark Souls bosses." crowd starts to whinge and whine after testing starts. I am all for interesting mechanics, and don't mind if I bork myself, but since we know they are balancing for 8 man groups, someone is going to get yelled at every time a group wipes.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hooKVstzbz0
    I both agree and disagree with you here.

I agree with the part about some people getting whiny and complaining a lot and people getting yelled at during a wipe. BUT most people will go into this game (hopefully) with the understanding of the penalty system so it won't be too bad and the devs will most likely not give a fuck about the whiny people because the majority will understand.

That's the vibe I get when hearing the devs talk because they don't sound like a activision or EA spokesperson, they actually sound like gamers.