Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!

Environmental Hazards

I am making this post for actual ideas and discussion, NOT A FLAME WAR! If you don’t like someone’s idea, then ignore it, or come up with a reason why it might not work and offer some helpful criticism.

This is the topic that my friends wish was not a thing because I’m that friend that will help you with just about anything and even stop what I’m doing just to help. At the same time shove you off a cliff, let loose a trap on your head, flood a room you are passing through with poison, or stun you in a corner and watch an enemy kill you, because it’s hilarious to watch your corpse fall and hear your reaction :smile:

What I want to see is:

-cliffs you can actually fall off of or shove people off

-acid or fire lakes that actually burn you and you are not immune because “magic”

-lava that will incinerate you

-ice storms that actually slow you down or even freeze you

-objects such as rocks and trees that will fall on you and damage or kill you

-water possibly slowing you down because you are wet

This is my list of stuff, lets see what else you guys can come up with :smile:

Comments

• It would be interesting if some environmental hazards came with some events like extreme blizzards with endless winter.

And to add to this, what if staying long time the desert would cause overheating that would deal some damage unless propperly equiped. Or it could be limited to only some part of desert or could be caused by some boss monster in the area.
  • I absolutely want to see environmental hazards. Randomised ones too.

On the flip side though, class utility spells to ignore and or mitigate some of these would be amazing. Magelight giving a warmth effect for example. Removing the slow from a snow area.
  • They've already confirmed that World Bosses could trigger environmental hazards. It would be possible for a world boss to raise from the ground and devastate your node with perma frost/blizzards which could affect node growth in a negative way. Thus the only way to deal with it and restore the node's normal environment would be to kill the world boss. I've played persistent universes with dynamic events before but I really do like some of the ideas Intrepid are coming up with in this context.  
  • It's something I always loved in D&D where the world around you affects how you play, so I would like to see some sort of hazard system in the game
  • I also want to see, but with these.

I want to see is a mechanic to overpass these. Like I'm a mage and I can shoot fireballs from by spellbook, what's the logic me getting frozen by a blizzard? Maybe clerics blessing us with God's Will and we've been protected from hazards. Or with a special elixir we can be invincible against lava etc.
  • - hazards such as mothers in law (coming with marriage system) that would leave your character "damaged" forever
  • Gothix said:
    - hazards such as mothers in law (coming with marriage system) that would leave your character "damaged" forever
    Sounds like you are speaking from experience there :smile:

• Ya, i cant wait to see a volcano explode and then having to deal with the aftermath, if that counts.

• I hope we can get struck by lightning during a thunderstorm
  • Zastro said:
    I hope we can get struck by lightning during a thunderstorm
    You wouldn't say that if you were as hairy as I am.
  • Love your list @whitedude31 and all the suggestions so far. These kind of things really nerd me out for some reason. They mentioned that there will be utility skills to counter each environmental hazard, and at another point they said that classes can have more than one utility skill, so hoping they will take everyone's suggestions and go nuts with this. 

Without hazards the world will be boring and static and the DnD adventurer in me will be sad.
  •  B) I want it so trees will fall on me when I am harvesting herbs
  • I would like to see cave-ins when you do a dungeon, so you have to find new ways to get out that lead to new places. That might even mean fighting high level mobs for your level which you have to escape from 
  • Kratz said:
    Zastro said:
    Since you are so close to the ground, I don't foresee this being a problem for you ;)
  • ArchivedUserArchivedUser Guest
    edited October 2017
    zazukeys said:
     B) I want it so trees will fall on me when I am harvesting herbs
    Well, if woodcutting will be a thing. Cut it wrong, and it may fall on you. I'd like that :3
  • We can expect to see all those things ingame.

But definitely the storms could be awesome like a real blizzard where you literally freeze to death if you don't escape it or hide or twisters, thunder etc.

• Zastro said:
    Kratz said:
    Zastro said:
    Since you are so close to the ground, I don't foresee this being a problem for you ;)
    That was uncalled for damn it!
  • I would like to see in game solutions to some of these problems.
    *Slow from snow => snow shoes/ build a dog sled and make my pets pull it
    *Acid in the way => glass bottom boats or a pulley system (like a ski lift)
  • This topic was one of 1st Threads I made when I joined this Forum. I figured hat most of this is ❝polishing❞ . But I ultimately agree with this Topic 100%

Below are my ... " ideas "
    ( it was an attempt to repost my original post ... by which the " Forums-Monster " devoured it ... and had to remember what i typed ... bless the Old-forums > .< )

• Love it! For the blizzard storm you could prevent yourself from being frozen by equipping certain gear(maybe they can add different gear types for weather? thin/less covered gear for desert/warm places, thick cloaks and shirts etc for winter.). 
  • Flooded metropolis would be great. Swimming rats biting your balls (critical damage).
  • Gothix said:
    Flooded metropolis would be great. Swimming rats biting your balls (critical damage).
    Crocodiles coming out of the sewers and eating the puppies...Praying your insurance pays for the water damage to your house....
  • Zastro said:
    Gothix said:
    Flooded metropolis would be great. Swimming rats biting your balls (critical damage).
    Crocodiles coming out of the sewers and eating the puppies...Praying your insurance pays for the water damage to your house....
    goddam lizard men and skaven 
  • Zastro said:

Crocodiles Tulnars coming out of the sewers and eating the puppies...Praying your insurance pays for the water damage to your house....

Fixed.  :p
  • It'd be nice if 'acts of gods' weren't all something you could 'skill' mitigate against, I'm not sure about you lot, but random hazards should require brains and common sense.

But....lets have gods throwing tantrums and mountains at each other, earthquakes because they're getting frisky, flash floods because they wanted a wash etc etc :smiley:  
  • I'm not that bad
  • I like all of this!! @_@
  • nagash said:
    I'm not that bad
    I can't believe I'm going to say this, I realise that shattering delusions could be evil, wrong or cruel. You know that folks have been locked up for centuries for believing that they 'are' Jesus, or God, just because you name yourself after the evil deity, doesn't mean that it's true.
    So whilst I think you're wonderful, I'm not yet convinced that your farts could generate hurricanes....

Wait.... *considers recent global weather events*

What's your diet been like recently?