Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!

PVP Small Group Dynamics

After the latest Live Cast, I started to image what kind of small group combinations would work well together, just based on the basic abilities that will be present for Alpha 0.

As we all know, there are basically 3 activities that go on in a PVP battle:  Damage, Healing and Crowd Control.  The ability to heal/avoid damage/limit damage while putting out high level of focused DPS on a single target is usually the key to having a successful battle in PVP.  

Let say, for a party of 4.  Would 4 Clerics be unstoppable or would a more balanced group be more effective - 1 tank, 2 dps, 1 healer?  Or would 4 mages with CC and AOE Damage + high single target DPS win the day?

As I re-listened to the Stream again, I began to image the different combos of abilities that could be lined up.  So my question is, what do you think would make the best 4 man group for pvp?

Comments

• ArchivedUserArchivedUser Guest
    edited October 2017
    I don't imagine a 🍪 cutter composition. If you run 4 mages their 4 rogues may still beat you. 
  • I must say the multiple clerics can be really strong because of the healing/damage they have, they do damage and with the damage they heal. Combine that class with a mage/ranger/summoner/rogue or whatever damage can probably turn out really strong.

edited October 2017
    Won't compete against some good burst damage. There heals aren't gonna do much when a few rogues show up and one shot them. 
  • I have personally always prefered balanced groups, but I also love going off the "meta" so I am looking forward to seeing teams comprised of only Tanks and Clerics 
  • You forget the 4rth activity....

Small group dynamics are what I'm most interested in testing during Alpha 0.
    edited October 2017
    You forgot secondary archetypes that can play a major role.

For example your 4 mages, can be 4 "Mage Clerics".

It's not possible to discuss this considering only primary archetype. Unless you are considering only "doubled archetypes" mage mage, cleric cleric, etc. But this is also pointless, as most people will mix archetypes anyway.
  • Gothix said:
    You forgot secondary archetypes that can play a major role.

For example your 4 mages, can be 4 "Mage Clerics".

It's not possible to discuss this considering only primary archetype. Unless you are considering only "doubled archetypes" mage mage, cleric cleric, etc. But this is also pointless, as most people will mix archetypes anyway.
    I was just wanting to start the conversation based on Alpha 0, and the 4 primary archetypes that will be tested.
  • I can not wait for the Secondary Archetypes to be added as well as all the 8 classes.  A raiding party with all different classes but all there secondarys are Rogue with some kind of stealth mechanic...

• I just hope second Archetype will provide your main class with significant changes to your play style and not just a minor tweaks.

So that choosing your second archetype really makes a big difference.
  • Gothix, I totally agree it being significant.  Not the same as picking it as your primary but definitely very impactful.