Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!

Portals and You

Is anyone else hyped about portals being used and a combat tactic? I know I am. 

BUT, I have certain preferences toward how the skill should be used.

1. An Escape. This would used in cases where you or your team is in danger. Mage casts a spell for a portal what will take them a certain distance away from threat.

2. Summoning. Portals shouldn't be limited to mages! A summoner could open a portal that introduces a helper o fight for them.

3. Trap. Traps should be limited to rangers either! A portal that is casted can stay active on the ground for a time and either warp the eneny that steps on it or do some kind of stun effect.  

4. Obstacles. A portal would be used for LIMITED tranportation. In this case, a portal can be used to get past an obstacle with a great distance of separation from a dungeon. Cast it in a certain direction and it will travel until it appears on the other side. (For obstacles, not transportation)

5. Limted Tranportation. Although portals shouldn't be used as a means of fast travel. They should be able to warp the person a certain distance. (Mages already have blink, but in the case of secondary mage classes who may not use blink, a portal would also work) 

Any other ideas?

Comments

• I think Portals should be used as a way to summon your guild mates or party members, but it should have a 24hr cool down because we don't want ppl over using it.  

I like the idea of have portal, but I feel like it should be great restricted since we don't want a guild or a raid party just popping in to our city behind our defenses and wiping our city out from the inside(example WoW).

I suggest it only be used to summon party members to a dungeon or raid, but only if that person has discovered it.

Another suggestion would be make it only accessible to  a guild leader, and it has to be unlocked by them.
  • I like short range portals, like within a single node/zone. I do not want portals being an option for long range fast travel. I do not want any form of long range instant fast travel.
  • Suhnaye said:
    I like short range portals, like within a single node/zone. I do not want portals being an option for long range fast travel. I do not want any form of long range instant fast travel.
    I like this idea. I would add the following restrictions / rule set:

• A set max travel distance, approx the average length of a single node
    • A portal would require a 2 mages, one at the origin point and a second at the destination point, both mages casting / channeling for the duration, at the same time.
    • The casting by each of the 2 mages would require / consume a moderately valuable reagent.
    • The portal would have a limit in the number of travelers that can pass through before collapsing.
    • A long cast time before the portal opens and can be accessed.
    • Casting can interrupted / broken.
    • Large visual casting animation that can be seen from afar on open ground.
    • (optional to maintain balace) The origin point is locked to physical fixed points within a node such as a magic circle or places of magical power.

This rule set could present some very interesting situations such as caravan ambushes, the sudden appearance of reinforcements during a siege, less tedious attunements / keys for groups / guilds, could make group / raid travel to dungeons less tedious but still uses cooperation and planning among players.
  • The only portals/fast travel options I'd like to see are:
    - World gates (the spawn areas)
    - maybe a instanced guild house portal
    - guild summon
    - obviously arena/battleground portals
  • ArchivedUserArchivedUser Guest
    edited October 2017
    Hatred said:
    Suhnaye said:
    I like short range portals, like within a single node/zone. I do not want portals being an option for long range fast travel. I do not want any form of long range instant fast travel.
    I like this idea. I would add the following restrictions / rule set:

• A set max travel distance, approx the average length of a single node
    • A portal would require a 2 mages, one at the origin point and a second at the destination point, both mages casting / channeling for the duration, at the same time.
    • The casting by each of the 2 mages would require / consume a moderately valuable reagent.
    • The portal would have a limit in the number of travelers that can pass through before collapsing.
    • A long cast time before the portal opens and can be accessed.
    • Casting can interrupted / broken.
    • Large visual casting animation that can be seen from afar on open ground.
    • (optional to maintain balace) The origin point is locked to physical fixed points within a node such as a magic circle or places of magical power.

This rule set could present some very interesting situations such as caravan ambushes, the sudden appearance of reinforcements during a siege, less tedious attunements / keys for groups / guilds, could make group / raid travel to dungeons less tedious but still uses cooperation and planning among players.
    I like this, make the portal spell have maybe 30 second cast time? I think 1 mage should be able to cast it for 8 people, but for larger groups I think more mages should be required. The more people, the more mages, the longer cast time, the bigger the cost( have the spell zerg mages mana)
  • Oops. Made this an answer thread...
  • I would like portals to be used creatively.

That is to say. You control both entrance and exit.
    You can then support people with portals, portal someone out of harms way. 
    Transport people to make it a sort of rush tactic.

But also to use the environment. If a boss has a mechanic that makes spiked rocks drop from the ceiling, usually indicated on the floor, the Mage, if quick enough can make a portal, which catches the shard, and drop it elsewhere, or possible on the boss. 

Don't limit it, allow players to be creative. 
  • ArchivedUserArchivedUser Guest
    edited October 2017
    Hey gang,

Ok, hear me out on this one .. I am kinda torn on portals not being used for some fast travel to places far far away. I think only after you have say visited the area on foot or boat  ( map fog cant see it until you go there kind of thing) and built up enough faction once there with said portal holders and on top of that add the cool down factor also.

By the time you have achieved the faction you need you have probably soaked up the fun in trying to get there and have run around the area so much you know the area pretty good and have a chance to meet and greet everybody else running around the areas.

I am all for Wizards and Druids using the portal system to help their party get around. and would like some kind of travel other then walking everywhere eventually added into the game please. I dont need portals to dungeons but mounts are what I am thinking eventually. If you can do a Dragon mount smaller mounts are a piece of cake.

Say Caravan systems. You can pay to hitch a ride ( only to a place  you have already visited on foot ) on the next caravan out of town heading somewhere that will lock your character in for a certain amount of time, you can log out and come back in say after work or on your lunch break for those with limited time. You could even stay in the game as your caravan makes it way to the location and if you get attack be ready to defend unless you paid more money for a more guarded caravan.

You can make them only castable at certain levels and you have to be at a portal thats is in the game.. I know I know, it's not a game ender not everything is close to the portals that is except for some dangerous mobs you have to sneak past and such.

Khazgul~
  • Honestly why not make something like rune Crafting or glyph making. You create a rune or glyph on a surface or object and a connecting run or glyph on another surface or object. So you have to create an opening and closing portal at each location. To limit it, you could make limited uses or health. Rare ingredients. Plenty of ways to restrict the player.
  • No fast travel is the best. No portals of any kind.

Besides scientific metropolis that gets local portals as reward for players choice.