Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!

Ideas for classes (Not complete)

Heyyo, i have some ideas for the game. Some classes sound boring so this might be usefull. Iam going go study game designer next year so might maybe start now with having ideas on games

Tanks:
1# thought about giving the tank an ability which allows him to kinda take over the dmg of 1 of his allies.
So if he uses it on an ally, he takes a portion of the dmg himself
2# Giving tanks a passive ability which send some dmg back to the enemy.
So if he takes like 100 dmg, he sends 5 or something back to the enemy.
3# maybe a passive that heals him for an amount of his max HP on rapid speed when he drops under a certain % hp?

Rogue:
1# Give him an ability with a high cd which blocks every ability for a short time.
Like 1,5 seconds. I thought about this mainly because he is a rogue and wont have any defensive abilities, only dodges.
2# Give him a blind? That he throws sand in a cone in front of him which blinds the enemy for 0.75 seconds?
Maybe usefull so the enemy misses 1 of their abilities.
3# give them a hunting ability?
Where they can activate it, which costs mana the longer its toggled on.
With this ability they get a warning from a direction of a enemy profectile is coming from that way.
Example, you are looking at the north, and have your ability on.
An enemy uses an ability on you.
When they do, you get something like a warning from that direction and will be able to dodge it

Ranger:
1# Since he is a very squishy class, you might give him camouflage. He can only be camouflaged while he isnt moving.
If he moves his camouflage is over.
2# Give him traps? So he can place them on spots and hunt enemies down?
the trap snares enemies for 1.5 seconds or 1 second or what seems fit.
3# give him a passive ability which gives him more range based on gear and level?

Bard: i've heard that this would be a class.
1# make it so that his abilities are music notes? Each color represents a different ability?
2# dont make his spells point and click. Make it so it casts it around him in a circle and those who are inside get it.
This will leave them off-guard so the enemies can strike during this. It wont make it that OP i think.
3# give him a toggle ability which buffs something on all your allies in your party?
During this he cant move because he will be playing on his instrument.
4# maybe give him an ability which can give 1 ally lifesteal for a time?

Mage: i think this wil be usefull.
1# make it so there is a fire mage? or ice mage? and not like all mixed up in 1 . Because some of us like only fire abilities or only ice or lightning or earth.
2# Wil they get a teleport ability? with a high cd. So they can teleport to an ally or to a city or teleport an ally to them, might be usefull.
3# i think mages will be a squishy and easy target class. So they might need like a really good dodge ability or something like that. Maybe cover theirself up in fire? ice? lightning ? nature? and each has a different effect.

Summoner:
1# in most mmorpg games summoner's rely on their summoned "pets". And if they die, you are an easy target. Would be usefull if they could also fight on their owh, or have their monsters on a low cd? so they dont die easily after their "pet" died.
2# Maybe make him able to summon a pet which only he can ride? sounds usefull.

Cleric:
1# cleric's are always the healers of the party but when they die its OVER. So maybe give them any ability which they can cast on 2 allies which act like resurrection. So if they die they get back up with a certain amount of hp/mana. So if the cleric is dead, they still have a bit HOPE. He will also be able to cast it on himself
2# a cleric is heal focussed class so it would be a shame if his heals were weak. They have to be powerfull but also cost many mana. Not too many tho, dont let them run out of mana after 3 heals.
3# they should get an ability which can heal MANA. Dont you think? might be really usefull.

There are just my ideas on how to make the game kinda more interesting. I dont have anything to say about fighters since i have never played a fighter class in a mmorpg game. Dont know what they lack or are good at.

Thank you :D

Comments

• Quite a few of your ideas were in EQ / EQ2. Like tanks that can take allies damage, enchanter who could heal mana and healers with a triggered rez on death.

Some abilities I like:
    <ol>
    <li>Become Swarm of bees. Good for getting a group out of danger.</li>
    <li>Summon player: Make it easier to group. </li>
    <li>Invulnerability field. Makes a player unable to take damage or do anything for a short amount of time. </li>
    <li>Teleport to aim. I would like this for a wizard but might be a bit much for servers to deal with. </li>
    <li>Teleport group to location. Just for specialized mages.</li>
    <li>Drain Health / Drain Mana abilties. From opponents or allies. </li>
    </ol>
  • I really do hope there will be some sort of Warlock/Necro type. I really do enjoy spreading dots, and the necro game mechanics in gw2 are my favorite onces, Especially with the whole fear stuff and so on. But i havent heared anything towards that regard yet. Here is to hoping.
  • Cant wait what the combonation names will be <3
  • [quote quote=11283].
    1# make it so there is a fire mage? or ice mage? and not like all mixed up in 1 . Because some of us like only fire abilities or only ice or lightning or earth.

[/quote]

What i think would be realy cool is when mages arent only dps class. i was thinking of a mage with earth spells to protect himself so hell become a stone golem or something like that.which would make him more of a tank class. Would be kinda interesting to see that and i dont think i have seen it before.
  • Yeah lets type our ideas here and the devs might read it and use it :D
  • [quote quote=11294]Summon player: Make it easier to group.[/quote]

In a low quick-transport game, I love this option.
    Make it costly/hard to get though, otherwise it'll be abused.
  • I for one would like to see a break from the standard classes in some way. I know we will need to have the archetypal Tank, Healer, DPS but I would like to see a few more unique or at least a different kind of spin on these. Give us changes from race to race. I'm not saying forgo the heavy armorer shield and sword brute, we need these. But give us something different... give one of the races a spirit base caster who channels the spirit of some beast and becomes the "tank" creature. This could be lycanthropy, totem based or even a necromantic class. Lets just add some flavor. I'm voting on a necromancer tank... think that would be a load of fun. Thinking along the line of summoning an undead beast controlled by the caster who becomes incorporeal while it is summoned. It tanks using magics to protect it and once the summoned is killed the caster is very vulnerable. Regardless, there are many options out there.

The only other idea I have at the moment is the inevitable stealth mechanic argument. I'd like to see a game work stealth where the sneak has to be close to something that casts a shadow. My meaning being that no one can stealth in an open field but would be able to sneak around the trees, bushes, tall grass, walls, etc. Simply give items a range for it's shadow and the further away from these shadows the easier the stealther is to spot. Thus we have some safety from stealthers but if careless in pvp there is a significant threat of attack.

What do we have folks? Ideas for interesting out of the box dps, tanks and healers?
  • Hope to see something unusual like Herald Xolti class from Age of Conan( demon form, fire weapon, mellee spec) or Marauder from WHO(mutations-transform hands in dif. wepons -depend on what u wear).
    Also i hope what Summoners(and others)get a large assortment of creatures(and skills). ex he could have sush specializations like:
    >Elementals/Golems
    >Demonogy/Necromancy
    >Spiritism
    >Arcanum mechanisms
    >illusions
    If talk about Mages:
    >Arcanum deffence(wards/removers/mb magic resist buffs)
    >Dark/Blood magic(curses/deseise damage/leach attacks/DoTs etc.)
    >Elementalism(spec. in Water/Fire/Earth with certain dmg. skills+ dif. stances)
    >Alteration(objects transformation/telekines/shapeshifts etc.)
    >Spacetime\temporal magic( mostly control magic+ debuffs with area effects)+teleports

If talks about dif. deffencive mechanic hierarchy between arhitypes, what about such distribution:
    >>Block -1. Tanks 2. Warriors,Matrial Artists hibryds 3. Tactic classes(rogue/ranger etc.) 4. "pure"mages
    >>Mitigation-1. Tanks 2. Warriors, Matrial Artists hibryds, or Other Classes(in def. specialization and with certain equip.) 3. Tactic classes(mostly offencive)4. Mages(pure)
    >>Parry -All can pretty good exept pure DPS specs(maybe tanks and matrial artists hybrids a little better)
    >>Dodge - 1. Matrial artists hybrids 2. Tactic classes and Mage (in def. build without Shield) 3. Tanks (classic-heavy)
  • Hope to see something unusual like Herald Xolti class from Age of Conan( demon form, fire weapon, mellee spec) or Marauder from WHO(mutations-transform hands in dif. wepons -depend on what u wear).
    Also i hope what Summoners(and others)get a large assortment of creatures(and skills). ex he could have sush specializations like:
    >Elementals/Golems
    >Demonogy/Necromancy
    >Spiritism
    >Arcanum mechanisms
    >illusions
    If talk about Mages:
    >Arcanum deffence(wards/removers/mb magic resist buffs)
    >Dark/Blood magic(curses/deseise damage/leach attacks/DoTs etc.)
    >Elementalism(spec. in Water/Fire/Earth with certain dmg. skills+ dif. stances)
    >Alteration(objects transformation/telekines/shapeshifts etc.)
    >Spacetime magic( mostly control magic+ debuffs with area effects)+teleports

If talks about dif. deffencive mechanic hierarchy between arhitypes, what about such distribution:
    >>Block -1. Tanks 2. Warriors,Matrial Artists hibryds 3. Tactic classes(rogue/ranger etc.) 4. "pure"mages
    >>Mitigation-1. Tanks 2. Warriors, Matrial Artists hibryds, or Other Classes(in def. specialization and with certain equip.) 3. Tactic classes(mostly offencive)4. Mages(pure)
    >>Parry -All can pretty good exept pure DPS specs(maybe tanks and matrial artists hybrids a little better)
    >>Dodge - 1. Matrial artists hybrids 2. Tactic classes and Mage (in def. build without Shield) 3. Tanks (classic-heavy)
  • Something I would like to see is a sub class of bard. That is the dancer, that gives a small over time buff to those watching them dance and (if mental damage will be in game) to help heal the damage.

Big fan of the dancer from the days of SWG.

Side thought, one of the things that happen when someone PKs, is they loose mental damage due to going to the so called dark path that increases with each kill.