Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!

Races and civilizations of Verra

I am actually wondering how do the races interact. What do they think of each other. Do humans hate elves. Dwarfs despise Orcs? What is the story. Why did the races no mix? What races were allies and which were enemies?

Comments

• They have purposefully left the lore scant, they want the players to discover it once the game goes live. My understanding from what little they have released is that everyone is returning to Verra from a single world, through 4 different portals that are race specific, so very well could be that they are in conflict on the world they are coming back from. Or they could have been in conflict on Verra before the exodus. One of those things we will find out later. They are modeling some of the civilizations off of old Earth like the Maya, Polynesian, and others.
  • Have they decided on the race-specific portals? On one of the older videos I watched, they were entertaining the idea of players being able to choose portals so they can start with friends who may have picked a different race. Perhaps only the theme of the portals are race-specific but not the race of the players using it?
  • The portals will be race specific, however you will be able to choose which one you want to spawn at to make it easier to meet up with friends and guildmates, including the Tulnar starting area.
  • No racial conflicts.
    Conflicts among player-created factions are likely to arise.
  • Watching Outlander for the first time. At the end of each episode they have some code word that was part of some contest. S01E07 code word was Verra. So expect Highlander Dwarves.
  • Watching Outlander for the first time. At the end of each episode they have some code word that was part of some contest. S01E07 code word was Verra. So expect Highlander Dwarves.
    I would be very pleased with that :P
  • It's good enough that there is no clear division like the 'good' and 'evil' factions, which a few mmo's have.
  • ArchivedUserArchivedUser Guest
    edited January 2018
    My big lore question is WHY are these races looking to settle a new world.
    Is it a 'push' factor from their old world ...or is it a 'pull' factor of hey a untouched new world with resources.  The picture background though here shows some sort of calamity occurring so Im hoping it is a push factor that the races are escaping from, this would make much more sense for me anyway.

oh so many questions rattling in my head!
  • Mozsta69 said:
    My big lore question is WHY are these races looking to settle a new world.
    Is it a 'push' factor from their old world ...or is it a 'pull' factor of hey a untouched new world with resources.  The picture background though here shows some sort of calamity occurring so Im hoping it is a push factor that the races are escaping from, this would make much more sense for me anyway.

oh so many questions rattling in my head!
    Going back to their old world trying to reclaim it.
  • Timeline is inexact. 10,000 years ago there was a great calamity on Verra that was causing life to become corrupted. What hints we have so far was some sort of god pantheon war the the uncorrupted gods lost. They raised the 4 portals for their various followers and sent them to a new world, then closed the portals. Those left behind or didn't get through the portal in time fled underground to avoid the corruption and become the Tulnar over 1000s of years. The races like the avians whose god perhaps was either on the corruption side or lost in the war, did not open a portal to the new world. Those races become the corrupted "monster" races we have seen so far. Over 10,000 years the effects of the corruption war lessen, but does not go away completely. The gods that fled with their followers to the new world pop back over and think "Yeah, we should bring everyone back and give it another go." They cause the old 4 portals to rise from the ruins where they had been buried and on the new world, the gateways fire up. Either through direct communication with their gods, or portents and signs, or just plain curiosity, people start to go through the portals and set up base camps in the 4 areas. The Tulnar are intrigued by all the activity on the surface, since raising the portals was probably felt down in the safe areas of the underrealm and start their own camp to prepare their people to venture to the surface. Boom, there is your origin story.
  • Timeline is inexact. 10,000 years ago there was a great calamity on Verra that was causing life to become corrupted. What hints we have so far was some sort of god pantheon war the the uncorrupted gods lost. They raised the 4 portals for their various followers and sent them to a new world, then closed the portals. Those left behind or didn't get through the portal in time fled underground to avoid the corruption and become the Tulnar over 1000s of years. The races like the avians whose god perhaps was either on the corruption side or lost in the war, did not open a portal to the new world. Those races become the corrupted "monster" races we have seen so far. Over 10,000 years the effects of the corruption war lessen, but does not go away completely. The gods that fled with their followers to the new world pop back over and think "Yeah, we should bring everyone back and give it another go." They cause the old 4 portals to rise from the ruins where they had been buried and on the new world, the gateways fire up. Either through direct communication with their gods, or portents and signs, or just plain curiosity, people start to go through the portals and set up base camps in the 4 areas. The Tulnar are intrigued by all the activity on the surface, since raising the portals was probably felt down in the safe areas of the underrealm and start their own camp to prepare their people to venture to the surface. Boom, there is your origin story.
    Thats pretty awesome thanks !
  • why not we make the lore as the game progresses ? sure have some kind of Goddish based thingy  but actually have a player solo kill a low lvl Dragon let's say  then he gets to go on game lore and we all read his story  just saying...oh!, and about races i'de be ready  for something different such as unestablished living entitys paving their way to titles.....ok i'm done i'll go now before i get anybody mad,,i know i'm new here    :wink:
  • why not we make the lore as the game progresses ? sure have some kind of Goddish based thingy  but actually have a player solo kill a low lvl Dragon let's say  then he gets to go on game lore and we all read his story  just saying...oh!, and about races i'de be ready  for something different such as unestablished living entitys paving their way to titles.....ok i'm done i'll go now before i get anybody mad,,i know i'm new here    :wink:
    That wouldn't work because every server will be progressing differently from each other. There would be too many different versions of the story.
  • ArchivedUserArchivedUser Guest
    edited March 2018

Zastro said
    That wouldn't work because every server will be progressing differently from each other. There would be too many different versions of the story.

It would keep someone employed full time cataloging each servers feats in cinematic form but can you imagine the flood of new players when the MMORPG community realized they could end up the immortalized characters of their own virtual worlds story!
  • Fyziks said:

Zastro said

It would keep someone employed full time cataloging each servers feats in cinematic form but can you imagine the flood of new players when the MMORPG community realized they could end up the immortalized characters of their own virtual worlds story!
    Even if they had 4 people per server working on this it still wouldn't be enough. 8k-10k people per server, all of whom you have to follow and record their actions...It would be easier just to make a journal that updates itself every time you do something noteworthy, then the devs can immortalize the most notable things that occur. In other words, only the people with the most influence should be recorded in history (kind of like how it is irl, otherwise it would be a horrible, dreary, meticulous, and long process). And having so many different versions of the lore would not be helpful for creating a direction for the game story wise.
  • Except that Lore story lines only recreate the penultimate actions that influence the entire course of a world not the death of unnamed kobolds.
  • Fyziks said:
    Except that Lore story lines only recreate the penultimate actions that influence the entire course of a world not the death of unnamed kobolds.
    Yes, but those penultimate actions will be taken by different players, at different times, and possibly under differ circumstances, as they have said that your actions in one node may affect the story in another, on every server. The over arcing narrative will be the same on each server, but each server will see it at a different pace and in a different order, or possibly not at all, depending on the nodes they build and don't build.
  • Then we will have to write our own lore arc stories. I am game if you will proof it.
  • some very nice concepts here
  • I am hoping that the Kaivek Orcs are not the stereotypical ugly, big, cumbersome, hideous creatures that they usually are in fantasy literature.  I am tired of some races being naturally "evil/bad".
    The Vek Orcs in particular sound like an oracle/prophecy type of being filled with wisdom seekers that other races go to for direction and insight.