Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!

Names in AoC

Please make us have a First name and a family name. It would be beneficial not only to the gamers to create a unique name and family line it would be interesting if people could join someones family tree that players could actually see. This could be an interesting mechanic for in game marriages families. Or even guilds that want to have the theme of a united band of players.

Comments

• That would be interesting if families are handled like in ArcheAge, but no forced family/account names like in Black Desert Online.

Having a family/group name above your family/account name which is also above your character name would be too many names displayed for me to bare.
  • FliP said:
    That would be interesting if families are handled like in ArcheAge, but no forced family/account names like in Black Desert Online.

Having a family/group name above your family/account name which is also above your character name would be too many names displayed for me to bare.
    I was thinking more along the lines of have your family name become another players family name.
  • Interesting concept :)

Perhaps groups of player/s/guilds can apply for a family title at a NPC, that can then apply a family name as a title.
  • Nice idea.

I believe Steven's concept of family/marriage in AoC will indeed be influenced by Archeage so I think that will be a blueprint of sorts I'm sure. If they will offer a family name I hope they'll make it optional so that we don't have to have it.  

• True. It would be great if it was optional. But it would be cool to have a sort of family for groups xD
  • ArchivedUserArchivedUser Guest
    edited November 2017
    I kind of like the way SWTOR handled the Legacy system.  Having all of my Ashes characters be part of the same family (If I choose to make them so) would be good.  A way to build an in game legacy so maybe people can recognize you, no matter what character you're playing, just by your surname.  Your reputation could precede you.  Or possibly your infamy.  Dun Dun DUNNNN!! 
  • The thing is if you are forced to have a family name when you play the spy in another node your family name may give you away. There will be those who will have characters spread around other nodes, now while this might not be all that likely a keen eye might pick up on the same family name.
  • Great idea.
  • As long as the family name isn't shown, I'm fine with it. 
  • It has been confirmed that you will have a first name with a last name being optional; at least so far.  :p
  • ArchivedUserArchivedUser Guest
    edited November 2017

Having same family name doesn't make people relatives, which brings conflict of interests. How would you want this problem solved in game? Forbid everyone to take already taken family name? In RL it's impossible and wrong. Allow anyone to take same family names, having many families with same name as in RL? What's the difference if  you have same or don't have any?

PS: having different 1st names (aka char names) is necessary evil, which already exists.

• I wish to be known as one thing and one thing only....

Pooka.

I will kill all of you with this precious name.
  • I like the idea of surnames.  It helps tell all the alt characters of a player if the surname is player specific.
  • I do like mandatory surnames. If first names have to be unique, as I believe they plan, then having a unique first and last doubles the possible names. 
  • I like surnames and titles although I also hope family names will be optional. Just too many names for myself. 
  • I'm a fan of surnames as well due to long term play. When a game without is popular and around for a while, new players will find that, it feels like, almost every name is taken. Even vets with alts run into that problem. I know in swtor I've typed in some pretty crazy names and thought "really????" when it told me it wasn't available lol
  • Surnames are great,a coat of arms going along with it would be great. But I hope we will be able to hide the surname from display as sometimes it looks weird if you use a nickname 'ShadowAssassin123' and then add a surname 'Kamikaze' or something.xd
  • If only for further immersing yourself in the game it's a good idea, it's not mandatory, and I'm sure mod's will be made that can help keep screens clean for people worried about long names, or additional junk on screen, so overall, I approve. 
  • Perhaps players could start with personal name only (this personal name could be first and last), and then when they get married upon "marriage quest completion" they get to chose an additional family last name together with their partners.

This could be a pop up window, that only accepts name input once both players entered the same chosen last name, and this name is available (it wasn't chosen by another family yet at that time).

Each player then keeps his personal name (first and last) but gets family name on top of that. Player can then chose how he wish display his name over his character and in chat channels:
    - personal first and last
    - personal first and family name
    - personal first, last and family name

Upon eventual marriage ending, players loose family name granted in marriage, and that family name becomes available again.

Players always keep their personal name (first and last) that they chose when they made a character.

The above proposal would solve many issues with name changing when players getting married and divorced, and problems with who keeps last name upon divorce if names get changed the classic way. 
  • Surnames are great,a coat of arms going along with it would be great. But I hope we will be able to hide the surname from display as sometimes it looks weird if you use a nickname 'ShadowAssassin123' and then add a surname 'Kamikaze' or something.xd
    Ooh I like the idea of a coat of arms. A coat of arms generator would be neato, I think it would need thousands of options in order to be viable, the good thing is that this isn't out of reach! The ability to customize it from the game or even upload your own images as emblems would be cool as hell
  • I like that surnames are just optional... I never really got into them before. Also the coat of arms idea is pretty cool, but I think it would be best implemented as a flag for your guild to carry or show off.
  • Just spitballin... Make the name specific to the race to open more possibilities. 

Tugo of the Vek
    Tugo of the Py'rai

etc
  • tugowar said:
    Just spitballin... Make the name specific to the race to open more possibilities. 

Tugo of the Vek
    Tugo of the Py'rai

Please no.

Leave names fully in control of players.
  • It is in your control? This way there could just be 8 Gothix, one for each race. 

Just brainstorming ways to open up the pool of names. We know by experience that if all you have is unique first name, you are going to end up with absurd, unrealistic names just because there aren't names available. 
  • tugowar said:
    you are going to end up with absurd, unrealistic names just because there aren't names available. 

I will definitely not. I will just search through available names until I find one that isn't absurd.
  • @AnduinKayvaan I really like your ideas, I hope they add the family names.

• Title
    First Name
    Surname optional

sounds great :)

• Is x_X_K1r1t0_X_x taken yet?
  • What if I marry everyone? Can I combine the names together? =D