Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!

Ideas: Marriage and Having Children

Hello Everyone!

I'm new to the Forums, and recently found out about Ashes of Creation. So I apologize up front if any of the content/questions included below are being repeated. I've played many MMOs stretching over many years, and I've slowly lost the love I once had for them. After watching a few videos on Ashes of Creation, a spark of hope was ignited. Thus, I have questions and suggestions. 

And don't get me wrong, I LOVE everything that is already confirmed for the game! If AoC was released tomorrow, I would be in line Right Now! :)

--MARRIAGE--

I've heard that marriage in the game will be possible (please correct me if I'm wrong), and hopefully it will be an instanced event to avoid the spamming of unwanted attendees. Also with this marriage system, will the option of choosing a 'Last Name' be available? If this is an option that can/will be done in the game, will players have the option to choose their last name during character creation? And later on, have the option to choose one of the two character's last names when getting married? (Or keep your own Last Name, as I'm sure some people will prefer?)

(I hope my wording made sense...)

--CHILDREN--

This is something that I've always thought of for an MMO game, and have never seen done before. If there is a logical and functional way to include it in the game, this would be another huge difference between AoC and other games in the genre.

Let's use the above topic, you get married to your significant other and decide to expand your family unit. Now of course we can include multiple ways of doing so; (to use a Sims reference) "Wohoo" or "Adoption".

So let's say this happens, and you have an npc child running around on your personal lot. Perhaps you can teach your child skills, assign them to tasks on your settlement, and eventually they age up into an adult.

Of course I'm just going off of this being a possibility, Consider that this child grows into adulthood; perhaps you can then add onto the system of "Alts". This child could then become an Alt character (playable) for one of the two parents. Strengthening the connection you have to your characters, and the progression of the server's story.

I know, this is an MMO and I'm all about raiding, sieges, action, killing, economic development, and everything else that AoC is about. But I honestly think this is something that could be a "Game Changer" in the MMO genre, if done right. If anyone could successfully implement this into the MMO genre, I think Intrepid's hands is the best to place it into. 

I know that the Ideas I stated above are completely different from what most MMO players want in this game, and its not necessarily what I want from this game. I'm just shooting out questions and ideas for the community and Intrepid to ponder on. 

Let me know what you think.
Thanks everyone!

Comments

• ArchivedUserArchivedUser Guest
    edited November 2017
    Yes, marriage will be available. No, it will not be instanced. This was one of my questions that was answered in a previous livestream. I gave the example of the infamous WOW funeral where the lady had died of a stroke irl and her in-game memorial was targeted by a guild for pvp. They basically shrugged and said they don't think it will be that big a deal, and that there would not be instancing for such events planned. So expect a lot of Red Weddings.

Children in mmos and most rpgs have been a no touch subject for a long time. Some games like Skyrim had them, and the inventiveness of people to find perverted and cruel ways to kill them caused uproar, outrage, and bad press most companies don't want. Will you still have the Goldshire RP sex clubs that pop up in taverns? Sure, just don't expect them to allow child npcs to be present in any way that they could be used in editable vids or emotes.

WOW funeral vid and commentary.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MEpv7YxnLCQ

Skyrim child killing.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gQTV43g-hAo

Goldshire Sex RP.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ROVmpwqR_34
  • Yeah, the WOW Funeral situation was the main reason I mentioned an Instanced event for those who would wish to have a whole wedding ceremony. I don't personally have a desire to get that in depth with my character. Yes, marriage to my wife's character would be neat but I don't care about having a whole ceremony. I was mostly asking on behalf of other players who may be interested in that sort of thing. I'm glad that this question has already been addressed. I won't personally be crashing anyone's wedding, but I suppose the "Red Wedding" scenario is just a risk those players will have to take.

I never thought of that situation for child npcs (seeing as how I personally would never do that), but I understand that it is for the best to keep that sort of outrage from happening.

I've never understood the whole Sex RP thing but I guess if that is how certain people roll, have at it. lol. Just like the "Red Wedding" scenario, people are going to do what they want.
    edited November 2017
    This is something that I've always thought of for an MMO game, and have never seen done before.

The kid thing has been done in Ragnarok Online. You adopt a character who then becomes 'baby' character, at 80% of normal size, and limited in max stats and max lv compared to others. The baby char has skills to call the parents (teleport).

In this instance, the baby character is actually a player, not a npc. Typically a alt due to the limitations of baby chars.

• This is something that I've always thought of for an MMO game, and have never seen done before.

The kid thing has been done in Ragnarok Online. You adopt a character who then becomes 'baby' character, at 80% of normal size, and limited in max stats and max lv compared to others. The baby char has skills to call the parents (teleport).

In this instance, the baby character is actually a player, not a npc. Typically a alt due to the limitations of baby chars.

The child also gained extra experience when grouped with both parents. It  cost a substantial fee to adopt a child (on top of the wedding costs). It was cute and fun though. However,  Ragnarok is not PvP based, so violence to children wasn't an issue (other than training mobs onto them as the leeched off parents).  Another difference is that RO was all sprites, so you lose the realism that you might feel in other games.
  • Pooka thinks that If they put in Children we should get the coat hanger option to go with it.
  • You could get married, specialize in taming/breeding, and raise fur babies.
    edited November 2017
    Neither option appeals to me.

I don't come to an MMO to mimic my RL. If I wanted to do that my character would be too worried about money, watch too much tv and sleep in far too late.

On the flip, I'm not too arsed about getting caught in RL for going invisible while committing a quadruple murder with my magic bow and the resulting corpse desecration.
    edited November 2017
    However,  Ragnarok is not PvP based

You're right, Ragnarok Online is GvG based, not PvP. PvE is an afterthought. People go on private servers, to get gear from pve in order to GvG, and occasionally PvP tournament. To them PvE is a mere step towards their goal, not an end.

• Pooka said:
    Pooka thinks that If they put in Children we should get the coat hanger option to go with it.
    delet
  • Interesting concept. I think having a kid would be a bit overboard though. The work to add that function and the overall amount of people who would use it, I think, makes it unreasonable to add it. Maybe in a far future update to the game after its been released though.
  •  @Zand I have to agree with Queen Cake, I think its too much for the game, but I also think they shouldn't add it at all, because I think it is completely not needed.
  • So if you marry the Queen of a node do you get 50% if she divorces you?
    Or would she be off with his head? :P :)