Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!

This game should be free2play

Comments

• Davlos said:
    Dat thread necro.
    Is this @nagash 's handy work?
  • I'll make this short. I've played almost every MMO out there and f2p games are horrible. They only get frequent content updates if they're pay to win. If you're looking for f2p games go to mobile. World of Warcraft does well, its s2p. Gw2 does well, it's b2p. FF14 does well, it's s2p. There are those who are willing to go the extra mile and pay every month to get excellent content with no strings attached, then there are those willing to ruin everyone else's experience because they're spoiled and want everything to be free. I do not mind spending 15$ a month for some fun. It's like paying a membership fee for a club. It's completely fair. And also the dev's pretty much guaranteed it's s2p. Which I'm happy about.

Also I'm sorry I just noticed how old this thread was but I've already typed this so, posting. >.>....
  • Let me put it in really simple terms, "GOOD" MMORPGS cost money, keeping the servers up cost money and so on. Any MMORPG that isnt sub based has P2W issues. So pls stop being a f2p parasite and just pay those 15 $ a month and be happy. You dont have to buy it because there is no box fee.
  • I'm surprised this is still an ongoing discussion. I didn't want to post in it but people keep doing so, let it die. Game is free at face value, just support it with the monthly fee to keep constant content and updates flowing.
  • typical subscription equates to about 50c a day

Is that honestly to much to ask for game?

I'd rather pay 50c a day and get all the benefits of a dedicated community and services.

then a F2P troll fest, broken economy and imbalances.

• Varkun said:
    Davlos said:
    Dat thread necro.
    Is this @nagash 's handy work?
    You rang 
  • Can we start public floggings for people who Necro nearly year dead threads?
  • ArchivedUserArchivedUser Guest
    edited November 2017
    Absolutely NO F2P!!!

The Lazy Peon explains this well in a youtube video about why the MMORPG genre is dying. To put it frankly, new gamers stick with MOBAS and not MMORPGS. F2P was an incentive to get new gamers into mmorpgs, but it causes the game to be watered down, and eventually Pay to win.

To keep this genre going we need to focus on the desires of the community who cares about MMORPGS. If their desires are met, they will pay for the subscription. 

The average age of MOBA players is 16-21. Hence f2p. 
    The average age of MMORPGS is 25+.....if you can't affford $15 a month, you should really be getting your priorities straight before playing hours of gameplay anyways. (not wanting to be too harsh) 
  • Jaikant said:
    (Archeage too since you need patron for everything anyway).
    I get where you're going, but that's not even very accurate.  Patron in AA lets you own land and generate more/offline labor.  And that's pretty much all.  Though, yes, labor is a "thing" and can limit your activity, but saying "patron is required for everything" is just straight up incorrect.
  • tinukeda said:
    Jaikant said:
    (Archeage too since you need patron for everything anyway).
    I get where you're going, but that's not even very accurate.  Patron in AA lets you own land and generate more/offline labor.  And that's pretty much all.  Though, yes, labor is a "thing" and can limit your activity, but saying "patron is required for everything" is just straight up incorrect.
    Patron in Archeage is like gasoline in your car. Sure, you don't NEED gas to own a car, but it sure fucking helps if you want to use the car as intended. 
  • Free to play wouldn't be such a good idea considering the developers has to earn something as well, they have spent loads of time on creating the game so f2p would be a waste.
  • Sort of ... they still give you a small amount of gas (for free) every day.  You just have to be sitting in the car to get it.  And, of course, there are plenty of activities you can do with the car that don't require gas.
  • tinukeda said:
    Sort of ... they still give you a small amount of gas (for free) every day.  You just have to be sitting in the car to get it.  And, of course, there are plenty of activities you can do with the car that don't require gas.
    Don't you pretty much need gas for all activities with a car?
    edited November 2017
    Bendy said:
    tinukeda said:
    Sort of ... they still give you a small amount of gas (for free) every day.  You just have to be sitting in the car to get it.  And, of course, there are plenty of activities you can do with the car that don't require gas.
    Pretty sure you don't need gas to **** in a public park in your car.that might be what he's referring to. 

Of course you'd have to spend hours pushing your car to the park, because you used up the gas they gave you "free" just starting it and driving out if the driveway. You then go out of your way to avoid the main roads everyone else is using, and finally getting to the same location having done waaaay more work. 

All to just sit around and jerk yourself in the end.

Yup, that's Archeage.
  • No thanks on F2P.  Already PLENTY of those out there and they all tend to have the same issues.
    edited November 2017
    I understand the argument that f2p reaches a wider audience. The problem with that model of play is that it compromises game-play and the longevity of the game as well. Because if went free to play it force Intrepid to heavily need the cash shop, which at that point makes them need to make the cash shop more advantageous and that's where you get the P2W model.

Intrepid has already stated that they wont be doing this no P2W and it will be a sub fee. But they have stated they have over 22,000 backers before an alpha has been released. It shows that there is a player base willing to pay for a sub. Its too early to say the game will die in a few months especially since they will release 2019-2020. 

By paying a sub it puts up a good barrier in which people are paying for a service, where they will get content at a steady pace. While to some extent eliminating issues regarding trolls etc that plague free to play games. While it also does guarantee that you will be playing with someone who owns a credit card, it will also limit the underage players eliminating some of the headaches that come with that as well. 

As a positive suggestion instead of repeating the negative ones that have been listed above: If you cant make the sub payment, start referring friends to the game to supplement the difference or the whole thing that way it becomes in a sense free to play for you. 

Hope this helps
  • Karthos said:
    Bendy said:
    tinukeda said:
    Pretty sure you don't need gas to **** in a public park in your car.that might be what he's referring to. 

Of course you'd have to spend hours pushing your car to the park, because you used up the gas they gave you "free" just starting it and driving out if the driveway. You then go out of your way to avoid the main roads everyone else is using, and finally getting to the same location having done waaaay more work. 

Yup, that's Archeage.
    Weeeeeell, they're a tad more generous than that.  I'd say you get about 3 gallons per day.  So, as long as the park is within 30 miles or so, you should be ok.  As long as you're not street racing and burning out at every intersection.

Just go Pirate, they have nothing to spend labor on apparently.
    Stolen fish are turned in for free!
  • tinukeda said:
    Karthos said:
    Bendy said:
    tinukeda said:

Yup, that's Archeage.
    Weeeeeell, they're a tad more generous than that.  I'd say you get about 3 gallons per day.  So, as long as the park is within 30 miles or so, you should be ok.  As long as you're not street racing and burning out at every intersection.

Just go Pirate, they have nothing to spend labor on apparently.
    Stolen fish are turned in for free!
    I WAS a pirate. Longer than I wasn't actually. I blew through labor more so.

I'm now convinced you have no clue what your talking about.

Good day sir.
  • Prototype said:
    Free2Play games reach the most players, and players are needed to fill game worlds, and with all the systems you guys have planned for this game it only makes sense to try to have as many people as possible actually in the game keeping it moving and shaking, why isn't a free2play model being discussed?
    F2P reaches a bunch of players, but those players aren't necessarily invested in the game they are playing which doesn't always create the best community.

Games need revenue to sustain themselves. Which means F2P games need MTX to sustain themselves, and they need ways to encourage people to pay for those MTX. More often than not this leads to P2W mechanics because why pay $10 for a level boost when I can just grind my way there....unless the grind is so punitive that you'd rather spend the cash for the MTX rather than grind out the XP (ie: p2w). 
    edited December 2017
    Valantor said:
    Can someone explain me, why still so many ppl prefer F2P games ? What is wrong with games which offer us fair rules, no P2W where everyone have same chances ? 

Or why ppl don't want to pay monthly subscription (around 15$) but they don't have any problem to spend 100$ in p2w item shop? 

For me as long as everyone have the same chances from the very beggining and everything they have achieved depends on their hard work, I can enjoy the game. Most of my friends are exhausted by f2p/p2w games, where only credit card decide who is the best.

So imo subscription is the best solution for Ashes of Creation and gives everyone fair and free from p2w content even if the cost of this will be a a bit smaller community of players. 
    IKR Cash Cows for Cash Grab corporations.

To be fair there are a few that resist the temptation to spend money on FTP / PTW and I could see why these people would they get what they can from a game then move on to the next. The force is strong with these ones and a a very rare few.

The rest I have no clue. They must have missed that old proverb that nothing in life comes for free, well maybe except true love.

FTP is a deception tactic used by soulless companies to draw people in and introduce things like RNG cash loot gambling., which thankfully some countries and at least 1 senator I know are trying to make illegal. FTP has been a bane in the gaming industry.

FTP: It starts out great and fun at the lower levels, which does not require money or grind, things are handed out easily and for free.

Micro Transactions: As the games progresses towards the begging mid stage the grind for progression starts getting real and it starts out with small cash Micro Transactions to provide an advantage and lower the amount of grind. By now a lot of people are getting used to spending a small amount of cash "often",  and are hooked. Now people look at their bank statement at ask how the hell they spent so much money, as well as Time. These companies are skilled in developing habitual and additive behavior. At his point people are wondering why they are still playing but they have spent so much money and time they find it hard to quit.

PTW: Pay to win is usually introduced between these two stages. Items can be purchased to give advantages over other players not spending money at the mid level Micro-transaction stage this is where Micro-transactions or not so small anymore people start spending larger amounts of money at this point to progress to really large amounts like $99 for one transaction.

Pay Wall: Now as the games get quite interesting and people are most likely addicted they introduce what many players call a PAY WALL.  There is no way to progress without spending money or the grind becomes unbearable if you do not spend money. This part of the game the companies hardly pump out any worthwhile content they just keep introducing cash shop bling casue they know that most players at this stage of the game are hooked and will keep playing and paying even tho they are angry and know they shouldn't. These games are now at the stage where they CASH GRAB from CASH COWS and Whales.

FTP = Micro-transactions = PTW = Greedy Cash Grab = Spend More Money than Sub or BTP.  

Game policies are made by investors and not game developers. All they care about is money.

People will often spend more money on FTP in 1 to 2 months than they would have in a 6 to 1 year subscription.

Because many people have fallen into this trap over and over and gone back to game companies they swore they never would games like SWBF2 comes out where people are paying $60 to purchase the game but has also still has PTW aspects for a game people spent that amount on.

So the problem is not just the Greedy companies, truthfully most of the fault falls to people that continue to feed Companies like EA, Activision Capcom, etc.... Thankfully more and more people are Fed up with the FTP deception that uses MT, PTW and PayWall.

We should be thrilled and crying tears of joy that Intrepid Studios, wants to produce a meaningful Sub based game that is not PTW. A game where decisions are made by the Developers that care about the game not Corporate investors that only want your money.

Thank You Intrepid for bringing us Ashes of Creation.

Now a New Hope rises from the Ashes of Creation.

• I want to support my local necromancer too!

I want to support IS too. Subs are imo the best route for what the community here really wants. I do understand wanting it for free, but if you only play a month and really don't like it, consider the 15.00$ you paid a sort of complaining fee to be here and tell everyone how much you hate the game you are no longer playing :wink:
  • While I like the the IDEA of not having to pay for a game, the actual implamitation is different. With the free to play model devs neeeeeeed to get money somehow, thats where the pay to win starts. And they have clearly stated many times they do not want that in their game, at all, in any way. I am super fine the game being a subscription based one, even if it means I personally might have times I cant't pay for it. Subscrition based fees means they can count on x money if y people play. So they can then plan accordingly while giving us amazing content, hopefully, kind of steadily to work towards on our end. Also, games (on the whole, I know there are exceptions) seem to have less trolls in a subscription style than free to play. From my experience at least, and i've played almso every single MMO out there lol.
    edited December 2017
    I don't understand why people complain about a $15 monthly charge to play an MMO. Think about it. How many hours of entertainment do you get from a $15 subscription per month? Say you only have time to play two hours a day. I'll say 4 on the weekend if your lucky. That is 28 hours a week, 112 hours a month. You get 112 hours of entertainment for $15. That's a steal. How much do you pay for a new movie these days? If you are in a nice theater you're probably looking at $30 for two people in a two hour movie.

Not only that but you are helping the devs create more content to provide even more entertainment. Do you think WoW would be 14 years running if they were P2W or F2P? Hell no they wouldn't. 

These days I don't even look at an MMO if I see F2P.
  • Valantor said:
    Can someone explain me, why still so many ppl prefer F2P games ? What is wrong with games which offer us fair rules, no P2W where everyone have same chances ? 

Or why ppl don't want to pay monthly subscription (around 15$) but they don't have any problem to spend 100$ in p2w item shop? 

For me as long as everyone have the same chances from the very beggining and everything they have achieved depends on their hard work, I can enjoy the game. Most of my friends are exhausted by f2p/p2w games, where only credit card decide who is the best.

So imo subscription is the best solution for Ashes of Creation and gives everyone fair and free from p2w content even if the cost of this will be a a bit smaller community of players. 
    There was a period of about 3 years where I only played League of Legends. I loved it! I was all about climbing the rank latter and drinking the tears of noobs. I think I must have spent over $300 on the game and League of Legends is free to play. Lol
  • tylerr385 said:
    Valantor said:

There was a period of about 3 years where I only played League of Legends. I loved it! I was all about climbing the rank latter and drinking the tears of noobs. I think I must have spent over $300 on the game and League of Legends is free to play. Lol
    LoL is a MOBA which is a different genre of game and is not in competition with WoW which is a MMORPG
  • Going to a movie and buying popcorn can cost more than $15. That is what 2 hours of entertainment? If you play more than 2 hours a month how can you be unhappy with the cost?
  • Going to a movie and buying popcorn can cost more than $15. That is what 2 hours of entertainment? If you play more than 2 hours a month how can you be unhappy with the cost?
    This is the logic that I wish all the kids these days used :neutral: but unfortunately it is not . . . they gotta learn at some point right?
  • tylerr385 said:
    Valantor said:

LoL is a MOBA which is a different genre of game and is not in competition with WoW which is a MMORPG
    It was an example of a free to play game that I ended up throwing a load of money at.
  • No. 
  • makinoji said:
    No. 
    BEST ANSWER I HAVE SEEN ALL NIGHT! 10/10