Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!

Death, Re-spawning and Fast Travel

Death is inevitable. Everyone dies eventually and what happens after? Will I wake up in the same spot a few minutes later? Teleported to my house? To the closest tavern? 

If this teleports me to the closest town what is stopping me from throwing my self off the nearest cliff to get home. If there a penalty for dying? I know if a player kills you they can loot some of your stuff. But with if i'm killed by fall damage or an NPC?

If I wake up a few minutes later in the same spot some person could just kill me on res.

What do you all think?

Comments

• je sait pas
  • ArchivedUserArchivedUser Guest
    edited November 2017
    We know that there is a death penalty and you will respawn at some kind of respawn point.

When you die, you will gain negative exp, lose durability, and drop some of your resources. The penalty is also increased or decreased based off what pvp state you are in.

I don't think we know much about where you will be respawning. I think i remember steven saying something about corrupt players respawning at random locations but don't think they have spent much time talking about it.

http://aocwiki.net/PvP
  • Most if not all of these mechanics have been addressed. I recommend aocwiki.net to get you started on the voyage of discovery.

There are death penalties for any death, whether pve or pvp. I won't go into a huge explanation on them, but they have dropped plenty of info on this mechanic. Specific penalties will be tweaked and adjusted during testing. It will be significant, impacts stats and exp gain, so most people are not going to suicide travel without a good reason.

On death you will respawn depending on a couple different factors. If it is a normal pve or pvp death there are set respawn locations in a node. You respawn at the one closest to your location. If you die corrupted, your respawn location is random, so far no confirmation whether that is node-wide, zoi-wide, or world wide.

If you are killed by another player, they can loot your corpse for a varying percentage of gathered/processed resources based on your flagging state at time of death. If you die corrupted, depending on severity of corruption score at time of death, you may also drop equipped/carried items in addition to 100% of gathered/processed resources.

There are mechanics in place to prevent/deter spawn camping.
  • Will other magican players available to revive you? So that i can call friends and the penalitx gets smaller? 
  • ArchivedUserArchivedUser Guest
    edited November 2017
    Healers will have a resurrect ability. That it negates the exp loss from death is not confirmed and is 99% certain to not be the case. If you die, you take the penalty. Risk vs Reward is the mantra they are going with along with Meaningful Conflict. If you are out gathering and someone decides to attack you, have a couple different options. Run, stand and die without attacking back, fight back and take a chance on dying or defeating the attacker. In all those cases if you die you will take the exp penalty. If you fight back it will be halved. If you don't fight back you have the satisfaction of knowing that the person who killed you will take an even more significant exp hit next time they die (and they WILL die, corruption does NOT clear over time, just death). Depending on the level difference between the person attacked and the attacker will also add modifiers to their corruption score, thus dinging them even further. Remember that corruption score and exp debt are two separate mechanics. One does affect the other. The example given by the big boss is that clearing a high corruption score will take multiple deaths. Each time they die red they take a 4-6X exp debt hit. Corruption score will affect stats, reducing their effectiveness over time as it builds to not being able to damage anyone that comes for their bounty. Huge exp debt will also affect stats, which will make them spend hours getting their character back to an effective state for pvp if that is a playstyle they pursue.
    https://docs.google.com/document/d/1Fvr9KYT104i8WYppCup1v6SUTZFJTobVz8uRHDas4YM/edit
  • Healers will have a resurrect ability. That it negates the exp loss from death is not confirmed and is 99% certain to not be the case. If you die, you take the penalty. Risk vs Reward is the mantra they are going with along with Meaningful Conflict. If you are out gathering and someone decides to attack you, have a couple different options. Run, stand and die without attacking back, fight back and take a chance on dying or defeating the attacker. In all those cases if you die you will take the exp penalty. If you fight back it will be halved. If you don't fight back you have the satisfaction of knowing that the person who killed you will take an even more significant exp hit next time they die (and they WILL die, corruption does NOT clear over time, just death). Depending on the level difference between the person attacked and the attacker will also add modifiers to their corruption score, thus dinging them even further. Remember that corruption score and exp debt are two separate mechanics. One does affect the other. The example given by the big boss is that clearing a high corruption score will take multiple deaths. Each time they die red they take a 4-6X exp debt hit. Corruption score will affect stats, reducing their effectiveness over time as it builds to not being able to damage anyone that comes for their bounty. Huge exp debt will also affect stats, which will make them spend hours getting their character back to an effective state for pvp if that is a playstyle they pursue.
    https://docs.google.com/document/d/1Fvr9KYT104i8WYppCup1v6SUTZFJTobVz8uRHDas4YM/edit
    I am surprised that there is no way to clear corruption. I think they should have a donation to a church/temple to clear corruption. Probably a donation that is worth more than what you took. 

If you die from fall damage or an NPC  will corruption clear? If no one loots you body can you still lose gear?

Will only only the Cleric primary class get the revive? or can Cleric secondary arch type revive? 

• I am surprised that there is no way to clear corruption. I think they should have a donation to a church/temple to clear corruption. Probably a donation that is worth more than what you took. 

If you die from fall damage or an NPC  will corruption clear? If no one loots you body can you still lose gear?

Will only only the Cleric primary class get the revive? or can Cleric secondary arch type revive? 

They have talked about their being other mechanics related to a military node to reduce corruption, reduce, not remove. I can see the logic in a religious node corruption reduction mechanic. It is in place to keep people from creating PK murder alts, racking up the penalties, then parking their corrupted toon inside their freehold or other safe area and letting the corruption dissipate.

They have stated in the past that corruption will reduce only on death from pvp actions from non-aligned character actions. So the whole "I will just get my friends to kill me!" crowd are in for a surprise when they incur regular exp debt for suiciding and their corruption score doesn't go down.

The gear loss mechanic has not been fully clarified yet and will be tweaked over testing. The actual quote is "drop or destroyed". So at high enough levels of corruption it isn't that you are dropping gear that can be looted, but even a possibility of it going "poof" on death.

Not enough is known on how secondary archetype "augmentation" impact on primary skills to answer that specific a question so far. Will only clerics have a resurrect? Maybe the bard will. Until we get more details we can only go with what is known so far, that the cleric is the only "healing" class announced.
  • They have stated in the past that corruption will reduce only on death from pvp actions from non-aligned character actions.

People say that, but the quotes I saw only say 'death'. And the non-aligned thing is that friends, guilds, party or alliance can't attack you, let alone kill you. I'm not sure if this means you can die from mobs, though I suspect if you did die from mobs, you would get the same penalty as being killed by a player (when corrupted), meaning lots of resource drops, possibly gear drop, and big exp penalty giving a stats malus until you recover the exp in the black (no more debt). The only thing you could like more is that there might be no one to loot you, so its just lost to the aether (I don't think a corrupted dead player should be lootable by everyone near, I think it should be the killer or no one, to prevent dying to mobs on purpose and having your friend loot you). I don't think fall death would remove corruption though.

• At the moment death in PvE and PvP are the same. You'll suffer from death penalties based on your player status -non-combatant, combatant or corrupted. It's all subject to change though.
    Was asked in this stream :)
    https://youtu.be/1duIKUf8gVs?t=36m23s
  • Situational based question and thoughts surrounding: 

Should death effect your citizenship/housing?

IE: You are perhaps the leader of a node and in some circumstance, either during a seige or coordinated effort your character is killed in combat by that other player. Should the risk and ultimate price of that unsuccessful survival be the loss of your home in that metropolis and citizenship of that node?
  • Situational based question and thoughts surrounding: 

Should death effect your citizenship/housing?

IE: You are perhaps the leader of a node and in some circumstance, either during a seige or coordinated effort your character is killed in combat by that other player. Should the risk and ultimate price of that unsuccessful survival be the loss of your home in that metropolis and citizenship of that node?
    It already is. If you lose the siege, the node delevels. Delevel it far enough and housing is affected and citizenship becomes moot if the node no longer is above level 3.