Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!

This game should be free2play

Comments

• nagash said:
    Varkun said:
    Davlos said:
    Dat thread necro.
    Is this @nagash 's handy work?
    You rang 
    @nagash
    Indeed I did but not even the great lord of the undead would necro this thread.

end thread

I think what many people don't seem to comprehend is that this game is mainly being funded by 1 person and they have some hard and fast ideas on what they want this game to be and not be, no ftp or ptw just a couple of the corner stones that Steve is insistent on.

But I guess people like to speculate I guess.
  • There is no such thing as a plea of innocence in my court, a plea of innocence is guilty of wasting my time. Guilty.  Now let me sleep
  • Going to a movie and buying popcorn can cost more than $15. That is what 2 hours of entertainment? If you play more than 2 hours a month how can you be unhappy with the cost?
    This is the logic that I wish all the kids these days used :neutral: but unfortunately it is not . . . they gotta learn at some point right?
    @whitedude31 They'll learn the hard way, once they have a CC.
  • Response to topic:
    Image result for the Not gonna happen dance gif
  • Just.. no! I really hope that I can play only one game without p2w and without a community with 90% toxic players.
  • Valantor said:
    Can someone explain me, why still so many ppl prefer F2P games ? What is wrong with games which offer us fair rules, no P2W where everyone have same chances ? 
    I totally agree whith your opinion, but for myself i play F2P games because i can test it fully before investing money in it. I wont waste 2 days with my peasant connection to be abble to only do 10% of the game or only play 3 days ... then i dont like it and i delete it.

I downloaded BDO and i wasted 4,5 days on 7 of my trial time downloading, so i had to make new account to really test the game.
  • Frankly, for those that don't like the subscription, DON'T POST HERE. I am really glad that I won't have to put up with all the players that come to a FTP game and then cry because of the cash that is needed to keep up. If you can't afford the $15, GREAT. This will keep out those that would ruin the game anyways. I surely won't miss all the cry babies.
  • Quality of game world (for players) isn't about reaching maximum possible number of players.

It's about reaching maximum quality community, even if it's size is a bit smaller.

F2P games reach more players, but most of those players are fully free players and bring no profit. Many of those accounts are multi boxing bots, gold sellers, spammers and what not.

P2P + no P2W is much better.
  • Jaikant said:

i play F2P games because i can test it fully before investing money in it. I wont waste 2 days with my peasant connection to be abble to only do 10% of the game or only play 3 days

So your problem isn't subscription model, but your peasant connection.

Upgrade your connection.

*this advice came free of charge*
  • I swear to God I'm going to necro this post in a couple months.  >:)
  • Gothix said:

Upgrade your connection.

And how should i do that lmao ? there is no fiber yet on my town ...
  • I feel like the members of this great community have answered this topic too spot on, but in short, every free to play MMO ever has always in one way or another become Pay to Win or Pay to progress down the road or right from the start and AoC is not going to be one of those from what the devs main goal is.  :)
  • Jaikant said:

I don't have a fiber also. I have just a standard telephone line.

vDSL does the job well, I get 50 / 10 (flat rate) over standard telephone line, which is more than enough for any MMO, and for all the downloads.
  • Here's my official stance on the topic:

Quality over Quantity. I would rather play with a few dedicated people who are invested in the game, than an entire world of Plebs.
  • Jaikant said:
    Gothix said:

Upgrade your connection.

There is no fiber where I live either and I currently have a 20/2 (more or less, usually more) download connection. For a slightly higher price (if I exclude phone and TV flatrates that come along with the internet and I only consider the cost of internet) I could upgrade to a 4G connection, which goes up to 150 mbps and should not go below 30 mbps under any circumstances.

There are plenty of possibilities, you just need to do your research and be willing to do something, instead of crying about how AoC should be free2play because you have a bad connection.

Makes no sense.

As for the topic: No, thank you.
  • Im on the side of many who bring arguments for a subscription model and i personally would be happy with that. 

But my advice on developers would be to take a good look an what happend with The Elder Scrolls Online . I think its a good game at all and developers took much effort to improve the game. But in the end ppl where just to stubborn to accept the subscription model and they had to change it. 

It cant be more ironic that exactly the ppl who cryed cause of the monthly pay model are now spending a ridicolous amount of money in the cash shop.

what i want to say is i like youre ideas but im not sure if enough people are smart enough to see whats better for them.
  • NO FREE TO PLAY . . . end of story.

Also I pay $100 a month for internet and I get 150 mbps wireless and 200 mbps wired neither drop below 100 at any time, I also dropped an extra $200 on a new modem and $300 on a new router so stability and speed is what I made sure I have and will have in the future for at least a couple years :smiley:

• Higher quality has a higher price. "Succesful Free 2 play games survive by adding paper content (A champion a month, skins etc). No free MMO has truly been top notch quality nor really succesful. A monthly subscription model guareentes the game will deliver high quality, regular contents and that the developers always feel that it is worth to so their best.

Monthly pay subs has proven many times to be the best at delivering high quality MMOs
  • Sora_NGNL said:
    Im on the side of many who bring arguments for a subscription model and i personally would be happy with that. 

But my advice on developers would be to take a good look an what happend with The Elder Scrolls Online . I think its a good game at all and developers took much effort to improve the game. But in the end ppl where just to stubborn to accept the subscription model and they had to change it. 

It cant be more ironic that exactly the ppl who cryed cause of the monthly pay model are now spending a ridicolous amount of money in the cash shop.

what i want to say is i like youre ideas but im not sure if enough people are smart enough to see whats better for them.
    The reason I gave up on ESO after Closed Beta was due to a statement I read coming from a director, developer or whatever he was.

The question was "What is ,in your opinion, the best thing about ESO? Is it the story, combat, environment, crafting or something else?"
    His reply was truly embarassing: "It's Elder Scrolls, d'oh!"

This was when I completely lost my appetite for the game. Using a single player game franchise as your main selling point for your MMO instead of praising all of your multiplayer aspects and systems, simply sad and embarassing.
  • FliP said:
    Sora_NGNL said:
    Im on the side of many who bring arguments for a subscription model and i personally would be happy with that. 

The reason I gave up on ESO after Closed Beta was due to a statement I read coming from a director, developer or whatever he was.

The question was "What is ,in your opinion, the best thing about ESO? Is it the story, combat, environment, crafting or something else?"

This was when I completely lost my appetite for the game. Using a single player game franchise as your main selling point for your MMO instead of praising all of your multiplayer aspects and systems, simply sad and embarassing.
    You do know one of the only reasons it was successful is because of "It's Elder Scrolls" (skins) you know that right?
  • FliP said:
    Sora_NGNL said:

You do know one of the only reasons it was successful is because of "It's Elder Scrolls" (skins) you know that right?
    That is still no argument you use to promote your game during an interview.

Based on that sentence I knew in advance that ESO will not keep up its subscription model for long, as only diehard Elder Scrolls fans would play the game. My prophecy turned out to be true soon enough and ESO was changed to a b2p model.

ESO is nothing more than a normal Elder Scrolls single player title with a multiplayer mod added to it. For that, the combat is just horrible and it still feels and plays like a single player game.

They could have done much more with the game instead of going "Wohoho, brace yourselves, it's Elder Scrolls!". LotRO did (sort-of) the same thing, but LotRO is still miles better than ESO, even with the "unlockable/pay to unlock" main story.
  • all I have to say is F2P brings in the worst kind of gamers out there...so no thank you.
  • FliP said:
    FliP said:
    Sora_NGNL said:

That is still no argument you use to promote your game during an interview.

Based on that sentence I knew in advance that ESO will not keep up its subscription model for long, as only diehard Elder Scrolls fans would play the game. My prophecy turned out to be true soon enough and ESO was changed to a b2p model.

ESO is nothing more than a normal Elder Scrolls single player title with a multiplayer mod added to it. For that, the combat is just horrible and it still feels and plays like a single player game.

They could have done much more with the game instead of going "Wohoho, brace yourselves, it's Elder Scrolls!". LotRO did (sort-of) the same thing, but LotRO is still miles better than ESO, even with the "unlockable/pay to unlock" main story.
    For me it just didn't feel original. It was the same shit that we had gotten before but with an Elder Scrolls skin. Might as well continue playing WoW then.
  • all I have to say is F2P brings in the worst kind of gamers out there...so no thank you.
    The poor kind?
  • Wow this topic still going on :P?
  • BCGiant said:
    Wow this topic still going on :P?
    I'm just here because I thought the necro was funny.
  • Error said:
    "F2P games usually find themselves needing another source of income which usually comes from an in game shop, this could easily turn into a P2W scenario."

True indeed, but there are exceptions. I played WOW for 10 years from beta, loved it, then was retrenched from my job. No more money to sub. So I tried a few F2P games, best of them being Wildstar and Aeon. Then I found Rift - an excellent MMO comparable to WOW, and completely free to download and play. I've been playing it for 4 years now, and because it's so good and I've had so much free entertainment from it, I now find myself spending money to buy credits. This is unnecessary to win anything or boost skills (although some of the elite skill sets rock the DPS), but because I *want* more character slots, mounts, pets, and so on.

A F2P doesn't need to suck, but it also doesn't need to be pay to win. Follow some of the F2P examples out there and this game could be huge and may even cap the global MMO market - as someone said, as good as WOW is, it's a big outlay each month for people with low incomes.

• ArchivedUserArchivedUser Guest
    edited December 2017
    since im too lazy to read all these post. i just give my short opinion on it. NO

Every f2p Game currently out there is trash and the playerbase isnt even that big.

The "best" MMORPGs right now are Subs or b2p.
    (WoW, FFXIV/Gw2, BDO).
    edited December 2017
    Roxx said:
    since im too lazy to read all these post. i just give my short opinion on it. NO

Every f2p Game currently out there is trash and the playerbase isnt even that big.

The "best" MMORPGs right now are Subs or b2p.
    (WoW, FFXIV/Gw2, BDO).
    NP You are allowed to be lazy and not do homework when you Ace the exam :P  :)

edited December 2017
    We've went the F2P/P2W road enough with this genre to realize it produces much more failures than it does successes. The most remembered and successful games in this genre have been sub-based or B2P.

I'm more than happy to pay my $15/mo for a quality product that's not just a weekly cash grab in some store.