Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!

[Information] Ashes Lore - What we know so far

Comments

• ArchivedUserArchivedUser Guest
    edited July 2017
    @Rumbleforge   OMG! This is incredible... I need to get one, oh wait.. I have the prototype already :p
  • OMG! This is incredible... I need to get one, oh wait.. I have the prototype already :p
    Both of you know far too much... and in Rumble's case I'm not sure how :worried:
  • Very interesting read, I quite enjoyed it as I learned this I didn't know before. Thank you. @lexmax
  • Note: The following is intended to be humorous. Those who take it seriously, too seriously, or OMGWTF2SrZlY will be calmly and determinedly ignored. 
    "Long ago, the world of Ashes was besieged by a great calamity. A corruption befell the land, twisting and perverting every facet of nature, spawning hideous beings of every description; from troll-like creatures to towering behemoths. Nothing escaped its touch."

Translation: We are not talking about lore yet, silly. Something, something, blow up history because then you know there WAS a history, that you're IN A PLACE after something, something, old history, and you're going to a place to make your own history. Plus this keeps our writer from shooting themselves trying to resolve every conceivable conundrum (aka "Galaxy Quest syndrome"). 

"Granted by divine intervention, your ancestors fled the world of Ashes through towering gateways, seeking refuge in a place void of magic."

Translation: You got here because of... stuff. You know nothing because, while not related to Jon Snow, we're still working on this stuff and, as with any other theocracy, when brains don't have a story to tell yet, they blame the gods. Oh yeah, and you have no magic. 

"Soon after the exodus, the gateways dimmed and became dormant. Centuries turned to millennia, burying them beneath myriad calamities. Over eons, history became legend, then even the great legends were at last forgotten.

Until now."

Translation: We can't run too close to how Jackson opened LoTR but you get the idea; history became legend, legend became myth, and hey... what are you doing messing around in that ruin... get... get away from there! Oh great... NOW look what you've done.

"What was once buried had risen again. The gateways had opened, reigniting the link to the ancient world. 

Translation: Oh no, buddy, you don't poke around in the ruins and awaken stuff and then just waltz off to dinner and a movie. You pick up your poking around hinie and get through that portal. Yes, go on, through! If... er... when you return, you better have a more gold than Smaug and a good map for where we can get our share because.... what do you mean, "Who are you?" I'm the narrator, damn it, keep up! 

"Vast expeditions were sent through the gateways to discover the beautiful and perilous magical realm of your ancestors."

Translation: No, you're not the first to go through today.... yes, yes, we're monitoring those who went ahead of you. ~calmly looks up from clipboard~ Why no, actually, we haven't heard back from any of them yet... but I'm sure we will. ~bright smile~ Have a nice trip.... buh-bye.... ~parade wave~

"You arrive in the world of Ashes to explore, rebuild and repopulate your place of origin. Ancient treasures and wondrous adventures await those who dare to disturb the dark remnants of evil that inhabit this land."

Translation: Conjugal adventure for AoC confirmed! Oh, and maybe loot.

"From now on, your choices and the choices of your fellow adventurers will influence how the story will unfold."

Translation: Or not, whatever; it's not like I'm your mother.

(Really looking forward to lore release... is there any indication of a timeline for it?)
  • :Wren is reading up on the lore:

"Long ago, the world of Ashes was besieged by a great calamity. A corruption befell the land, twisting and perverting every facet of nature, spawning hideous beings of every description; from troll-like creatures to towering behemoths. Nothing escaped its touch."

"Oh gods, I bet its black and gassy and makes spikes everywhere because of course it does. Why are all 'corruptions' the same?"

"Granted by divine intervention, your ancestors fled the world of Ashes through towering gateways, seeking refuge in a place void of magic."

"Ah, our world!  our lovely magicless world.  and wait, why more calamities?  Stop with the calamities!  You can't just calamity it up with calamities!  Then no one knows what constitutes a calamity! "

"Soon after the exodus, the gateways dimmed and became dormant. Centuries turned to millennia, burying them beneath myriad calamities....

*sip* "My tea is a calamity."

Over eons, history became legend, then even the great legends were at last forgotten.

Until now."

"Spider demons would be the sort of thing adults would keep to themselves."

"What was once buried had risen again. The gateways had opened, reigniting the link to the ancient world. Vast expeditions were sent through the gateways to discover the beautiful and perilous magical realm of your ancestors."

"That's where I'm going!"

"You arrive in the world of Ashes to explore, rebuild and repopulate your place of origin. Ancient treasures and wondrous adventures await those who dare to disturb the dark remnants of evil that inhabit this land."

"Because you know, let's poke the corruption, let's see where that takes us.  Oh? Running back?  What a great idea."

"From now on, your choices and the choices of your fellow adventurers will influence how the story will unfold."

"...I'm going to have to act tall for this."
  • I wonder if the magicless world they reference that our characters return from is Earth.  It is a trope to begin the process of identifying with our character.  It would make me laugh (in a good way) if the launcher looks like a gateway.

It will lead to all sorts of questions for my character when he arrives.  Why am I this short?  Why can I spend hours in the sun without my skin turning red?  How did I become this stout?  If I have multiple identities on the other side of the portal does that mean I have multiple personalities on this side of the portal?  (Luckily I have a few years on this side of the gateway to ponder the last one)

It may explain why our characters are slightly less efficient upon first entering the portal.  Lots of introspection and self analysis to do.
  • This is really cool, I'm getting super hyped! :)
  • Why tell people of such events? I mean.. leave the past  an open mystery. Focus the lore on its people's and their goals and most current history. Reveal more andmore of the land as time progresses.

~ Rhapsody ~
  • ArchivedUserArchivedUser Guest
    edited September 2017
    OMG Rumble - laughed my arse off. Who actually remembers playing on a TRS80 or an Atari 2600...Sweet....

So just who exactly did create the gateways in the first place? If they are opening now, why? What or who triggerd this event? What legends were forgotten and can we re-discover them?
  • Here's a video I made because I read this thread. https://youtu.be/1fWMwuvPqpk
  • Possum said:
    What they really need to give us, hopefully sooner rather than later, is some info on the place we've been while away from our origin world.  I'm all for keeping what's on the orgin world a secret until we go through the portals.  But we should know more about the life our character has lived so we can better shape who they are.  We need to know more so we can create our character backstory before we travel through the portal.
    That would be great to have and do.
  • Rhapsody said:
    Why tell people of such events? I mean.. leave the past  an open mystery. Focus the lore on its people's and their goals and most current history. Reveal more andmore of the land as time progresses.

~ Rhapsody ~
    I agree with you. Who doesn't love a good mystery.
  • The Lore and story in Ashes is going to be better then we can even imagine.   Right now we are basing our ideas of Lore on what we have seen in previous MMORPGs.  Steven and Jeffery are going to raise the bar for Lore and Story to new heights.
  • Lots of great information in here. Thank you very much. Super excited about the game and can't wait to learn more about the lore and mechanics!
  • Maybe some theme music for the Lore we know so far.

Long ago, the world of Verra was besieged by a great calamity. A corruption befell the land, twisting and perverting every facet of nature, spawning hideous beings of every description; from troll-like creatures to towering behemoths. Nothing escaped its touch.

BoC - Dancing in the Ruins - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wlVWprYozR8

Granted by divine intervention, your ancestors fled Verra through towering gateways, seeking refuge in a place void of magic.
    Soon after the exodus, the gateways dimmed and became dormant. Centuries turned to millennia, burying them beneath myriad calamities. Over eons, history became legend, then even the great legends were at last forgotten.

Breaking Ben - Angels Fall - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9zFfRSeA1ls

The world in Ashes lay devoid of civilization for centuries. Until now.

What was once buried had risen again. The gateways had opened, reigniting the link to the ancient world. 

Crywolf - Neverland - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=osTgI-0GXxs

Vast expeditions were sent through the gateways to discover the beautiful and perilous magical realm of your ancestors.

You arrive in the world of Ashes to explore, rebuild and repopulate your place of origin. Ancient treasures and wondrous adventures await those who dare to disturb the dark remnants of evil that inhabit this land.

Jørn Lande - Don't Talk To Strangers - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R80gAz4u7cg

From now on, your choices and the choices of your fellow adventurers will influence how the story will unfold.

Within Temptation - And We Run - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=awvqIi427_A
  • Might be a Necro, but I found this incredibly helpful and I too would like FAR more lore on the old, non-magical world in which we came.

I anticipate my character and his crew of miscreants came through the portal to avoid charges levied against him and his peeps by the powers in the old world. They are fleeing into the Verra for the same reasons many fled the Old World during the expansion of the US into the West- freedom of jail time!

Thank you for putting this together- will you update this as they release lore on the old world or will you create a new thread specifically for that?
  • Gakrek said:
    OMG Rumble - laughed my arse off. Who actually remembers playing on a TRS80 or an Atari 2600...Sweet....

I DO, I DO!!! <waves excitedly>  Yar's Revenge was my jam!  Also I even remember playing Archon on a Commodore 64.  Ah when games were new and the world was young.  :p
  • lexmax said:
    Soon after the exodus, the gateways dimmed and became dormant. Centuries turned to millennia, burying them beneath myriad calamities.
    This may have been missed on people but if the gates were buried, who or what dug up the gates and how did they know they were there.

So the people we attack as per pre alpha, are they people who went through earlier and got corrupted.

• lexmax said:
    Soon after the exodus, the gateways dimmed and became dormant. Centuries turned to millennia, burying them beneath myriad calamities.
    This may have been missed on people but if the gates were buried, who or what dug up the gates and how did they know they were there.

So the people we attack as per pre alpha, are they people who went through earlier and got corrupted.

https://www.unrealengine.com/en-US/showcase/how-intrepid-studios-is-looking-to-reinvent-the-mmorpg-with-ashes-of-creation
  • This was really helpful, thanks :)
  • Oh oh oh... I have a  question! Who were the gods and what are they overWho is the god/dess over un/death? Will there worship be outlawed and will we have to work/worship in secret to bring about their glorious return?
  • Mysterious! Fy faen, excited! 👏
  • What I want to know is WHO did the divine intervention?  Are they still around?  
    How can it be a magic-less world if magic was used to get us there?  Seems to me that magic was thus introduced and some magic was brought over in what possessions the races brought with them and in the case of elves, what they are.  Perhaps the magic is weak, but there is no longer a "void of magic" from where we are leaving to return to Verra.
  • T-Elf said:
    What I want to know is WHO did the divine intervention?  Are they still around?  
    How can it be a magic-less world if magic was used to get us there?  Seems to me that magic was thus introduced and some magic was brought over in what possessions the races brought with them and in the case of elves, what they are.  Perhaps the magic is weak, but there is no longer a "void of magic" from where we are leaving to return to Verra.
    Exactly the kind of questions I am dying to hear answered :)
  • lexmax said:
    T-Elf said:
    What I want to know is WHO did the divine intervention?  Are they still around?  
    Exactly the kind of questions I am dying to hear answered :)
    Same here with that we can piece together some more lore like the gods or the main antagonist  
  • nagash said:

Same here with that we can piece together some more lore like the gods or the main antagonist  
    My theory is that one of the so called gods created the corruption to gain power over the other gods. This lead to the great exodus. Either the other gods were corrupted or are in some sort of containment field. Awaiting for us (the players) to release them.

• nagash said:

My theory is that one of the so called gods created the corruption to gain power over the other gods. This lead to the great exodus. Either the other gods were corrupted or are in some sort of containment field. Awaiting for us (the players) to release them.

There are a lot of theories but that one does some to be a reoccurring one I still think its an outside force that "invaded" Verra (cough chaos cough) and that made some of the gods turn to the corruption and they waged war on their brothers and sister. In the end, the gods not affected by corruption opened the gates to save what they could.
  • nagash said:
    nagash said:

There are a lot of theories but that one does some to be a reoccurring one I still think its an outside force that "invaded" Verra (cough chaos cough) and that made some of the gods turn to the corruption and they waged war on their brothers and sister. In the end, the gods not affected by corruption opened the gates to save what they could.
    Tzeench: Change you can believe in. XD
  • Lythawan said:
    nagash said:
    nagash said:

Tzeench: Change you can believe in. XD
    Everything is going 

Just
    As
    Planned
  • Just wanted to express my appreciation for this lore collection. Most of which really isn't as organized in the podcasts, and content creators streams thus far. Its really quite nice to see the story a little more clearly defined in your post. Again Thanks.