Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!

So with no gunpowder, what will ships use as weapons?

No Gunpowder, no Canons. so what types of non-gunpowder weapons do you think will be used in AoC?

I just hope we still get tail sailing type ships, without the need for rowing please. lol

Comments

• Siege equipment or a near approximation of it. Does anyone remember the Spelljammer Dungeon and Dragons pen and paper campaign, they used siege weapons on most of the ships and it worked quite well. Though the ships were sailing through the void of space.

Honestly it depends on the style of the ships, will each race have their own style of ship building, I would imagine so. Will there be rams used, castles for and aft bristling with catapults and ballista, there may be other magical weapons that perhaps take the place of black powder weapons. Much to be revealed about ships let alone ship combat.
  • Varkun said:
    Siege equipment or a near approximation of it. Does anyone remember the Spelljammer Dungeon and Dragons pen and paper campaign, they used siege weapons on most of the ships and it worked quite well. Though the ships were sailing through the void of space.

Honestly it depends on the style of the ships, will each race have their own style of ship building, I would imagine so. Will there be rams used, castles for and aft bristling with catapults and ballista, there may be other magical weapons that perhaps take the place of black powder weapons. Much to be revealed about ships let alone ship combat.

True enough, that's why I would like to see what people believe what we might see. Until we get more info, it's a good guessing game, and I think some people might hit the nail on the head. Like with you saying magical weapons. That might be something to look for in this game.
  • Granthor said:
    Varkun said:
    Siege equipment or a near approximation of it. Does anyone remember the Spelljammer Dungeon and Dragons pen and paper campaign, they used siege weapons on most of the ships and it worked quite well. Though the ships were sailing through the void of space.

True enough, that's why I would like to see what people believe what we might see. Until we get more info, it's a good guessing game, and I think some people might hit the nail on the head. Like with you saying magical weapons. That might be something to look for in this game.

It is supposed to be a high fantasy world and magic is a very big part of it, so why not have magical versions of cannons. I am confident will be surprise with what the IS team comes up with.
  • So I'm really hoping they either have magical cannon or make an exception. Medieval ships we're limited to two main tactics: Ramming and Boarding. Of course they fired arrows at each other and tried burning the enemy ship as well.

You of course found weapons like scorpions and ballistas on board as well.

• Beavers! We will throw beavers at each other and the beavers will eat the enemy ships!
  • sunfrog said:
    Beavers! We will throw beavers at each other and the beavers will eat the enemy ships!
    If we needed someone to eat the ship, we'd just have @Granthor's mom on board
  • Karthos said:
    sunfrog said:
    Beavers! We will throw beavers at each other and the beavers will eat the enemy ships!

Ha..Ha..aahhhhhhhhhh Very Funny. But maybe instead on Beavers, we launch Trolls at the other ships. Now that would be a sight. lol
  • The inclusion of naval scares me, BDO took almost 12 months to get decent naval combat in game and had a lot fewer classes to balance.  I'd be happier to see Naval added post launch, if not to make sure everything goes good at launch, then because there are no starting point portals in the ocean I would suspect.  And a lower possibility of people being able to even perform any type of sailing until some time after launch.  how are they going to build sailing vessels if everyone is still living in huts and tents?

Better to postpone all Naval activities until post launch in my opinion.  I'd rather the development time be spent on fleshing out NPCs better.
  • We are talking ships, anything that throws fire. Catapults with firepots, Balistas with cloth wrapped bolts on fire. Other than that, again it's a ship, it's open. Just row on them and take them out old fashioned.
  • Balistas:
    - with ammo that can be set on fire to en-flame the other ships
    - with ammo made of steel to penetrate ships hull
    - with ammo tied with ropes to pull ships together (to board other ships)

• They will shoot Unicorns, and Unicorns are magic :)
  • I wonder if they will keep the same theme of every class having a role. Mages and summoners hitting the ship from range and rogues and fighters ready to board and so on. 
  • They will paint silly phrases on each of the other ships until one of them feels shamed and goes home. Imagine JSRF but like with magical water rollerblades.
  • Althor said:
    I wonder if they will keep the same theme of every class having a role. Mages and summoners hitting the ship from range and rogues and fighters ready to board and so on. 
    @Althor that's probably how it'll be :smile:
  • Granthor said:
    Karthos said:
    sunfrog said:

Ha..Ha..aahhhhhhhhhh Very Funny. But maybe instead on Beavers, we launch Trolls at the other ships. Now that would be a sight. lol
    HEY, hey, hey . . . no, throwing me at people is not nice ok? Let's not do that, I tend to drive people to suicide when I am around them :smiley:

Let's not be cruel and unusual ok?
  • Where did they say there would be no gunpowder? I thought that was mainly direct at land sieges not naval combat.
  • Where did they say there would be no gunpowder? I thought that was mainly direct at land sieges not naval combat.
    Livestream from 6/16/2017

[42:31] Gunpowder?

1. Matt really wants to play a Gunslinger in the Pathfinder RPG .
      1. Nope, banned.
    2. Can’t see gunpowder being a thing.
      1. Want to avoid mechanization.
      2. More magical, less technology.
      3. Guns don’t really fit.
  • Granthor said:
    Karthos said:
    sunfrog said:

HEY, hey, hey . . . no, throwing me at people is not nice ok? Let's not do that, I have a tendency to drive people to suicide so that is a bit cruel dude :wink:
  • Stink bombs. The world is a vampire...

• Greek Fire, for what its worth its never been recreated in modern times but it was the single most effective ship weapon of its day. So we are told. 
  • Harpoons, roman warfare ships.

There are alot of things used on ships that didnt require gunpowder
  • Probably "Engineered stuff", siege weapons and magic.

I expect them wanting the players to do the fighting not the tools
  • Fire, arrows, siege type weapons, magic, ramming, icebergs... flying trolls
  • You can always throw rotten fish or other slimy sea creatures at your enemies. 
  • Magical explodey stuff?
  • Can always just resort to cannons shooting magical essence then if there isn't gonna be gunpowder!
  • finndo said:
    The inclusion of naval scares me, BDO took almost 12 months to get decent naval combat in game and had a lot fewer classes to balance.  I'd be happier to see Naval added post launch, if not to make sure everything goes good at launch, then because there are no starting point portals in the ocean I would suspect.  And a lower possibility of people being able to even perform any type of sailing until some time after launch.  how are they going to build sailing vessels if everyone is still living in huts and tents?

Better to postpone all Naval activities until post launch in my opinion.  I'd rather the development time be spent on fleshing out NPCs better.
    that's yours for sure :) 

since somes people like you will prefer class balance i dont care at all about it, I will just live for ships, so untill nothing have huges problems i vote for it to be released within the game release.
  • Granthor said:

No Gunpowder, no Canons. so what types of non-gunpowder weapons do you think will be used in AoC?

Mages?
  • velish said:
    Granthor said:

Mages?
    Why carry cannons when mages weigh much less?