Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!

This game should be free2play

124»

Comments

• So, first I will admit that I did not read all the posts, but I will share my own two cents worth.

Free to play games are NOT healthy for communities and this is very strong community based game. All you ever have to do is walk into any free to play game and you run into people who don't stick around, who don't really care about the game, and typically-- children. Like the kids who should be outside playing children.

Secondly free to play games depend on micro-transactions to support themselves and they have VERY slow add-on times, because of lack of proper funds. Any MMORPG that is free to play doesn't move fast and this also means loyal players get bored over time and will move to something else because lack of content.

Now, they could have gone "Buy to play", but this will eventually run into the Free to play camp, as Buy to Plays don't always have the sticking power, but they do better than Free to Plays, as they tend to have a more mature, devoted community, but again, dev time is slow and doesn't always get the love it needs.

What Ashes of Creations devs have decided to do, I completely back and agree with. I wouldn't have funded this game like I did if I didn't agree with their model of how they want to handle this game. Which is for people to ONLY pay a subscription fee.

They don't buy the game, they don't have to put anything up front. All they have to worry about after their trial is over, is paying a subscription fee. Who knows, maybe they will do like another game I know who also shares this same mentality and open the door for a 9.95 model and a 14.95 model, that way people can decide based on their playstyle what they like.

Even Final Fantasy XIV has 2 play models, one which gives you 1 character, while the other lets you have more than one. Perhaps Ashes could do that, if the devs wanted to, have it where a cheaper model is locked to one character, but the normal pay gives you max character slots.

OR they could break it up further into one being super cheap, with one character, but no housing permissions. Another with one character and housing permissions and then the normal 14.95 with the normal all access stuff.

Doing something like that could help people who can't afford higher end subs and I believe that be a better middle ground, then just flat out going, "Make it free to play!", <insert sarcasm> because that always works so well for most games </insert sarcasm>.
  • F2P leads to P2W. Just makes two different classes of players in game.

• F2P is the cancer of MMOS
  • Didn't even read. 
    Free to play attracts trash, so no this game should not be free to play. Little kids go play something else and people who cannot afford 15.00 a month focus on getting an actual job/education. Cheers
  • FliP said:

That is still no argument you use to promote your game during an interview.

Based on that sentence I knew in advance that ESO will not keep up its subscription model for long, as only diehard Elder Scrolls fans would play the game. My prophecy turned out to be true soon enough and ESO was changed to a b2p model.

ESO is nothing more than a normal Elder Scrolls single player title with a multiplayer mod added to it. For that, the combat is just horrible and it still feels and plays like a single player game.

They could have done much more with the game instead of going "Wohoho, brace yourselves, it's Elder Scrolls!". LotRO did (sort-of) the same thing, but LotRO is still miles better than ESO, even with the "unlockable/pay to unlock" main story.
    So a question directed at you specifically but it will make me feel good to hear everyone's voice on this.

Would you like the developers/publishers to lie to your face about their games just like Activision (Bungivision as well) and EA (loot boxes)? Or would you like them to tell you how it is and say "This is how it is, now deal with it." instead?
  • F2P leads to P2W. Just makes two different classes of players in game.

WarRath said:
    F2P is the cancer of MMOS
    Didn't even read. 
    Free to play attracts trash, so no this game should not be free to play. Little kids go play something else and people who cannot afford 15.00 a month focus on getting an actual job/education. Cheers
    ALL of these comments above  x 1000%.

No FTP... there's plenty of games to choose from that are , this game needs to be subscription .

I wont disagree with a system like WOW has where a player can buy a monthly sub with In game currency though.
  • I have mixed feelings about buying subs with in game currency.
    Would this allow someone to mod a character to farm all day while they are at work and then use that to pay for the sub?

I guess I am wondering if anyone else thinks this might encourage farmer-bots.
    I know it comes down to IS, GM's, and some extent players to check for farm bots, but if all they are doing is paying for subs would anyone be able to tell?

To me, playing for subs, is kind of like grinding for F2P...