Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!

In game currency name

2»

Comments

• Pepperoni 
  • I personally dislike the Korean MMO method of copper, silver and gold coins. I prefer a singular currency. Plain old "coins" or "gold".
  • I prefer singular currency as well. The whole copper/silver/gold/platinum just gets unnecessarily excessive. Just Gold, or Gil, or Weebles or whatever works great and has such a minor if any impact on imersion, lore, or RP I see no real reason for anything more complex.
  • Caelron said:
    I'm hoping for the traditional mmorpg/fantasy elements:
    Gold, Silver, Copper at the rate of:
    1 gold = 100 silver = 100 copper

Maybe Platinum will also be in the mix, too, if it's a 1 Platinum = 10 gold = 10 silver = 10 copper.

They're creating a whole marketplace and even a stock-market system, so their currency needs to be relatively simple, but also complicated enough to interest people.

If you think about "dollars" and "cents" , it's a 1:100 ratio between the two, creating one or two magnitudes to measure the currency... unless you factor in the "gold standard", but that just makes it more complicated.

Gold:Silver:Copper is three different magnitudes, even if the ratio between them is different.  In some aspects, it makes the cheaper things much much simpler, but also makes the more expensive things a whole different magnitude.

So a 1:100:100 should be plenty to incorporate the whole system.
    Part of the long-run problem that needs to be looked at is the problem with wealth creation in the systems themselves (such as monsters dropping money, or NPCs giving you money for items), and how it balances with wealth reduction (Paying NPCs for items, quests, etc.)

Whatever they choose, I'm excited for it!
    Wait.
    1 gold = 100 silver = 100 copper?
    Shouldn't it be
    1 gold = 100 silver = 10,000 copper?
  • Drandel said:
    Wait.
    1 gold = 100 silver = 100 copper?
    Shouldn't it be
    1 gold = 100 silver = 10,000 copper?
    Yes. ^ it should be like this. 
  • With the recent reveal that "Embers" will be the name of the currency for the cosmetic cash shop, then it would not surprise me to have a unique type of currency for non-cash shop transactions. Personally I would not object to the traditional gold/silver/copper approach, but I'm also open to something that is unique and specific to the lore.

Also, since Intrepid hired an economist with a PhD, and the last KS stretch goal was to have a stock exchange system, then I would expect multiple currencies with exchange rates. I.e. Race specific, ZOI specific (especially ZOI since markets will be local and not operating off a global auction house that is seen in so many other MMOGs)
  • If you look at it from dark souls, I was kind of right about souls being currency 
  • nagash said:
    If you look at it from dark souls, I was kind of right about souls being currency 
    So you're saying we could have "Ashes" as the currency in Ashes of Creation?
  • ArchivedUserArchivedUser Guest
    edited December 2017
    Drandel said:
    nagash said:
    If you look at it from dark souls, I was kind of right about souls being currency 
    ashes to ashes dust to dust and a new staff you shall buy me 
  • Boogers.  That sword will cost you 250 Boogers.
  • Crymoar said:
    Boogers.  That sword will cost you 250 Boogers.
    Damn, I only have 134 snots.
  • nagash said:
    Drandel said:
    nagash said:
    ashes to ashes dust to dust and a new staff you shall buy me 
    Sounds a little like Souls from Dark Souls.
  • Personally I'm a fan of Copper/Silver/Gold currency. Always worked for me :D
  • can't go wrong with rupees
  • Gold-silver-copper is my preference. 100copper=1silver
    100silver=1 gold.
    Someone mentioned gemstones and i think thatd be great. Instead of us merchants (who will by the way rule the world) carrying like 7 digit numbers worth of gold there could be gems like sapphire and ruby and diamonds. Eg.
    1 ruby = 250g
    1 sapphire = 500g
    1 diamond = 1000g. 
    This way we can carry around a million gold with just 4 digits of diamonds. Did i mention that we will rule the world with our purses?   ;)
  • Should also add in 
    1 platinum = 100 gold = 10,000 silver = 1,000,000 copper
    Just to make players seem more rich. :P
  • ArchivedUserArchivedUser Guest
    edited December 2017
    I like the idea of having just a gold, silver, copper standard. However I also like the idea of having that currency minted in each realm, with their own currency exchange rates. There could be a limit to it, such as no one currency could be worth more than double than any other.

Having players get paid in the currency of the realms they adventure in would be a neat twist in an MMO economy that I have not yet experienced. There could even be an exchange fee to convert currency to that of the players home realm / region. This would encourage players to invest and build their realms / regions even more.