Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!

Pantheon: Rise of the Fallen

Is anyone else following the development of Pantheon: Rise of the Fallen? I'm a pretty big fan of Brad McQuaid (EQ and Vanguard).

I'm more interested in AoC but if RotF is available sooner than AoC I'll probably give it a shot (assuming the reviews aren't too terrible).

Mods - Hopefully it's ok to talk about other games here but if not please feel free to delete this post.

Comments

• ArchivedUserArchivedUser Guest
    edited October 2017
    I think ❝*Pantheon: Rise of the Fallen Vs. Ashes of Creation*❞ might be thing xD.

In short, I am aware of Pantheon and hoping both Succeed stupendously well & outshine the trash that's currently in the MMO-Market. 

#P2WSucks
  • you have my attention 
  • Well I checked some Patheon footage, and I have to say it can't even compare to Ashes in terms of looks.

Ashes looks so much better.

And damn, do those spells in Patheon cast LONG. I could go make a sandwich until the spell casts out. 
  • Checked their website, not really my thing.

Looks like a 90s fantasy board game.
  • With a name like that you would think to have a undead race or necromancers but nope
  • Gothix said:
    And damn, do those spells in Patheon cast LONG. I could go make a sandwich until the spell casts out. 
    Tab out and watch a video........
  • Ashes is probably the last MMO I'll ever play. 

I'm pretty serious about this. If it doesn't work out, I'm swearing off the entire genre for good. Nothing  else in the works right now has my attention besides Crowfall which is a very far second behind AoC. 
  • Don't Judge Pantheon by its Appearance.
    Think this was their most recent Stream

• Karthos said:
    Ashes is probably the last MMO I'll ever play. 

I'm pretty serious about this. If it doesn't work out, I'm swearing off the entire genre for good. Nothing  else in the works right now has my attention besides Crowfall which is a very far second behind AoC. 
    No probably for me.  It's a fact.  
  • I looked at it after someone mentioned it on a AoC video but it didn't interest me as much as AoC.
    edited October 2017
    Personally my hopes have been pinned on UC but when their development cycle slowed, I went out looking to see if there was literally anything else out there on the horizon. I investigated MANY games and P:RotF (along with AoC) piqued my interest enough to look further. Unfortunately, the deeper I dug the less I liked what I saw and heard.

The things that turned me off the most were the world looked and felt very static, models felt 10 years old, the combat was wooden and uninspiring (I like dynamic movement) and they would be keeping PvP and PvE totally separate. The last one means that if you are on a PvE server, the best you could hope for would be a consensual duel or the Arena. That tells me PvP will ALWAYS take a back seat to PvE balance which I do not like.

AoC on the other hand, the more I investigated the more excited I became. The world looked alive, models up to date, dynamic and fluid combat and of course full on PvP everywhere on every server. On top of that there were deep crafting ability, the node system and the list goes on. LOTS of intriguing concepts. Now AoC still has quite a ways to go and if things they promised start dropping off my check list then my interest may cool but that hasn't happens thus far (even though the FF bow design and the baseball bat wielding Cleric didn't inspire me)

I am still interested and committed to UC and Mark Jacobs vision (I am an original DAoC player after all) so if they can be the spiritual successor to DAoC I will have a tough choice in the future (I can't serve to masters so a choice will have to be made
  • All hyped up for ashes of creation, barely playing anything else atm because of this xD It's a curse. xD

• Pantheon is going to be much for PVE focused and for the EQ crowd so trying to compare it to AoC would be a mistake as they both may be round one is an apple and the other is an orange.
  • I am following and have alpha access to Pantheon and Ashes. both games are to early in development to really judge. I hope that at least one will be good enough to hold my attention for years.  They are pretty much my last hope for MMOs
    edited October 2017
    rumlox said:
    " ... They are pretty much my last hope for MMOs ... "
     o:)  Me Too  o:)
  • I have been a vip for almost a year now. Looking forward to it and AoC. Actually going to be in the pre alpha here in a few weeks hopefully. woot!!
    edited November 2017
    Based on the video link provided by @Eragale
    Pantheon has very cool water, character display distance and lighting compared to aoc. The UI looks better too but its just early placeholders in both games so useless to compare these atm.
    Everything else: not so good.

Really hope aoc takes the lighting as example to improve the garish lights.
  • Karthos said:

Feel exactly the same way. I wonder how many of us there are?

• I am intentionally not playing any MMOs right now. I want to step into AOC with a fresh outlook, and without the bitter taste of another MMO in my mouth.

As for Pantheon, I was extremely interested in it at first. I played a LOT of original EQ, a bit of EQ2, and was hyped for EQ Next. But after watching its development, it's just not going in a direction I can get behind.

Corpse Runs, for example, just aren't my thing anymore. I'm all about having consequences for my actions, but a consequence that eats too much into my time just isn't worth it, anymore. And while I expect the graphics to get better over time... I'm still not impressed. But the combat is what really gets me: just stand still and run through your rotation? No thanks.
  • Pantheon looks like it will definitely be a throwback to the Everquest/Vanguard days, hoping for meaningful Dungeons and Dragons like group content. It does look dated now and the game mechanics may alienate some of the new age MMO crowd but that's perfectly okay. I think it will be at least a relative success and should be a fun alternative to AOC upon relase (or vice versa depending on your personal appreciation for each title).
  • I am intentionally not playing any MMOs right now. I want to step into AOC with a fresh outlook, and without the bitter taste of another MMO in my mouth.

As for Pantheon, I was extremely interested in it at first. I played a LOT of original EQ, a bit of EQ2, and was hyped for EQ Next. But after watching its development, it's just not going in a direction I can get behind.

Corpse Runs, for example, just aren't my thing anymore. I'm all about having consequences for my actions, but a consequence that eats too much into my time just isn't worth it, anymore. And while I expect the graphics to get better over time... I'm still not impressed. But the combat is what really gets me: just stand still and run through your rotation? No thanks.
    You um, do know AoC is going to have time sinks don't you? There aren't going to be easy portals everywhere so if you are in some remote location and die, getting back is going to be a long trip. That also means getting anywhere is going to be a somewhat time consuming process. they also may have corpse runs, we don't know for sure yet. Many of the Devs were EQ people so things they liked in that game could carry over.
    edited November 2017
    Something thats been rummaging in my head for awhile and thought i should share

As you know, Both Pantheon & Ashes of Creation has a FAQ ... well there's two segments thats interesting ... its about the Unity Engine & Unreal Engine:

If you take a look at One of Pantheon FAQs its states:
    • "  There were a lot of reasons we chose Unity, and they all had to do with the positives of the engine, not necessarily the negatives of others. Much of the decision came down to the fact that it is an engine that enabled us to get to work quickly without requiring an expensive and large team. Unity has also allowed us to rapidly develop the game itself and will also enable us to deploy to multiple platforms with minimal effort. Unity is truly a ‘game engine’ and not just a ‘graphics engine’. It also supports the use of higher level languages like C# and the easy inclusion of a variety of plug-ins. These features and more allow the Pantheon development team to focus on making a game first and not an engine. We are a lean, mean team and we want to spend the majority of our time making the game itself, not tweaking and modifying the core of a graphics engine or having to also build a broad suite of tools or add-ons. "
    ( this is an exact Copy&Paste from this Link ( https://www.pantheonmmo.com/game/faqs/ )

Where as Ashes of Creation FAQ Question about their Engine ( Unreal 4 ) States:
    • " Unreal Engine 4 is designed to create small, fully-functional projects right out of the box. Since an MMO is a literal culmination of every extreme in game design, one might, quite understandably, balk at the idea of using UE4 for such a project. Fortunately, UE4 is easily modified at a source code level to allow for custom or extensive divergences from the default, small project functionality. We have identified what we need to change – most notably, the network communication and level loading code – in order to get the gaming experience that is expected of a modern MMO. "
    ( also an exact Copy&Paste )

Sooo ... i find it ironic that Both Companies are doing the Exact Opposite thing ... on two competitive Engines. Yet, they plan on getting the Same result in the End - a playable & enjoyable MMO.

Now ... i may have misread something, but ... am i wrong ?  :D

• hasn't Pantheon been languishing in development hell?
  • I'm also interested in Pantheon. I like what they said about placing group gameplay at the centre of the experience. Yet I'm a very concerned about how dated it looks and the stiff animations. That's why I've only supported AoC so far...
    edited December 2017
    Invested in both, my wife won't play AoC with me, so we both got a copy of Pantheon. Both are great in their own right, and I am not really looking forward to either more than the other. 

hasn't Pantheon been languishing in development hell?

I believe when they first started, it was a bit rocky. They had to go back to the drawing board early on, but have been steadily developing with great progress to show for their work.
  • I am interested in both Ashes of Creation and Pantheon but AoC holds my interest the most. I was hoping that Pantheon would come out first to give me something to play while waiting for AoC but it looks like its just going in to pre alpha testing its self. I probably wont play it. Its nit to know there is something else in production though.
  • Karthos said:

I'm right there with you, I dont think I've taken the time to level in an MMO since SWTOR released and I was already all but done with MMOs when I came across AoC to began with, now am planning on building a whole new computer just to play. If it fails I'll probably just go re-live my glory days in WoW: Classic and cry myself to sleep(every night).
  • Freshcuts said:
    Karthos said:

I'm right there with you, I dont think I've taken the time to level in an MMO since SWTOR released and I was already all but done with MMOs when I came across AoC to began with, now am planning on building a whole new computer just to play. If it fails I'll probably just go re-live my glory days in WoW: Classic and cry myself to sleep(every night).
    I wrote that before they announced the WoW Legacy server so there's that, I may go back depending.

But current new games are just so P2W heavy or require some premium service to stay competitive.
  • Some have said this is the last MMORPG they'll try and I'm in that camp. If I don't enjoy this game as it has been presented it is possible the problem is with me (us) and not the game.

As people grow older and move into different phases of their lives things take on different levels of enjoyment and contentment. I hope this isn't the case with me but it is possible that the draw of current technology MMORPGs isn't enough after 15+ years of playing the same type of game.