Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!

Mounts + Pets/Stablehand Job; Taming, Breeding, Selling?

One aspect of MMORPGs that absolutely adore is mounts. However, none seem to really get it right for me.

See, I don't want to just quest around until I've got enough money to buy a low level mount, or grind until I'm a high enough level to take a mount quest. I want to go out into the wild and search high and low until finally I find a creature to capture and break myself.

I was wondering if this game would have a taming mechanic; one to capture mounts/pets of varying levels and rarities.

That's my main question, but I was also wondering about the potential of breeding said mounts/pets to sell as stock? Raising the stats of offspring by breeding together two creatures with a specifically high stat, breeding for speed, power and etc.

I've certainly seen these mechanics before, but they were never done well, or done in a game with a good economy; and if they were done well, they weren't done in an MMO which meant no economy at all. Red Dead Redemption and Breath of the Wild being examples of good taming mechanics, but nowhere to go with it.

If something akin to this was to be a thing, I know for certain I'd focus my entire job around going out into the world on adventures to find better or rarer creatures to tame, breed and sell. Running some form of stable sounds like a lot of fun, personally.

Just curious about the potential for any similar mechanics to this ending up in the game, thank ya for readin'!

Comments

• Yes, taming and breeding are confirmed professions.
  • This! Yes! This! This! This!
  • One aspect of MMORPGs that absolutely adore is mounts. However, none seem to really get it right for me.

See, I don't want to just quest around until I've got enough money to buy a low level mount, or grind until I'm a high enough level to take a mount quest. I want to go out into the wild and search high and low until finally I find a creature to capture and break myself.

I was wondering if this game would have a taming mechanic; one to capture mounts/pets of varying levels and rarities.

That's my main question, but I was also wondering about the potential of breeding said mounts/pets to sell as stock? Raising the stats of offspring by breeding together two creatures with a specifically high stat, breeding for speed, power and etc.

I've certainly seen these mechanics before, but they were never done well, or done in a game with a good economy; and if they were done well, they weren't done in an MMO which meant no economy at all. Red Dead Redemption and Breath of the Wild being examples of good taming mechanics, but nowhere to go with it.

If something akin to this was to be a thing, I know for certain I'd focus my entire job around going out into the world on adventures to find better or rarer creatures to tame, breed and sell. Running some form of stable sounds like a lot of fun, personally.
    'Like' is insufficient for how much I love your comment!
  • It would be amazing if they allowed extremely rare breeding to create some mythical creatures.  For instance from D&D days, Hippogryph's, Unicorn's, or Gryphon's.  There are many other instances of rare mythical creatures but those three spring to mind.
  • I have a question about mounts but I don't know if it's worthy of it's own post so I'll leave it here.

Who wants a horse when they can ride a parrot hamster? I was looking at the silhouettes of the mounts then I went to see what I could purchase in the store. There are horses in the store. They're awesome, but they're horses. I'd rather ride a dragon butterfly thing wouldn't you? So should I get an exclusive summer sale horse or wait for the unicorn octopus?

Pros, summer sale horses will be pretty rare. When millions of people are playing the game only 12,000 will have summer horses.

Cons, it's a horse in a kangaroo monkey world.  A horse is kind of ordinary when compared to the alternatives.  
  • I think it would be cool if mounts had their own classes like combat/support/travel/trade
  • A proper taming and breeding system would add so much to the game it would be amazing. Have a bit of genepool system in place and you could have mounts of varying stats. If thats too troublesome (meaning stats) then breeding different shades of color would be equally rewarding in a different regard.

I just hope its intuative enough to give it the ability to cascde into a lot of different ways to enjoy the system. Lets hope for the best :)
  • ArchivedUserArchivedUser Guest
    edited September 2017
    I was thinking of getting the Cursed Charger. There's no image but I bet it will look cool.
  • Listening to the PAX interviews and panels, I find that having a good breeder profession will be key to making caravans function.  The type of beast of burden that can thrive in the various climates will be important in the success of a caravan moving items from one node to the next.  

The team did mention items being able to be made to enhance the defense and mobility of the caravan.  I would not be surprised if we need to have special breeders that can perhaps help us create creatures that can be used to traverse snow, or can pull more weight than your average horse, etc..
  • sunfrog said:
    I have a question about mounts but I don't know if it's worthy of it's own post so I'll leave it here.

Who wants a horse when they can ride a parrot hamster? I was looking at the silhouettes of the mounts then I went to see what I could purchase in the store. There are horses in the store. They're awesome, but they're horses. I'd rather ride a dragon butterfly thing wouldn't you? So should I get an exclusive summer sale horse or wait for the unicorn octopus?

Pros, summer sale horses will be pretty rare. When millions of people are playing the game only 12,000 will have summer horses.

Cons, it's a horse in a kangaroo monkey world.  A horse is kind of ordinary when compared to the alternatives.  
    Dragons and magical creatures will be riding mounts.
    - Mount skins such as the dawnbreaker is a mix between a bear, an owl and a butterfly.
    - Dragons will currently only be available to kings and queens, and selected mayors, as well as be random drops that have durability on them in raids and dungeons.

If you feel like it's worth the money, I'd definentally get the horse. I myself bought the 400$ ks pack, and a big part of the reason for that was due to the mount skins

Hope this helped :)
  • Olihin said:
    Listening to the PAX interviews and panels, I find that having a good breeder profession will be key to making caravans function.  The type of beast of burden that can thrive in the various climates will be important in the success of a caravan moving items from one node to the next.  

The team did mention items being able to be made to enhance the defense and mobility of the caravan.  I would not be surprised if we need to have special breeders that can perhaps help us create creatures that can be used to traverse snow, or can pull more weight than your average horse, etc..
    I'm hoping all professions will be viable and needed to make the world function. I really like your viewpoint on breeding. Breeding and taming animals is all good and fun, but putting it to great use is what's important in my opinion
  • The usability post taming and subsequent breeding, is going to give a lot of players the ability to perhaps provide the equivalent of horses, oxen, camels and elephants to transports that would each have their own bonuses.  i.e. Mustang vs. Clydesdale.  Camels for dessert terrains vs. Mammoth like Elephants for the tundra.  

• As long as breeding is not RNG based, but effort based.

I really hate RNG to the bottom of my soul. You invest lots of time and then *poof* RNG fail, all you did was for nothing.

I prefer any effort be useful, and any progres non RNG.
    edited November 2017
    I hope that taming and breeding of animals will be combined into one profession.
    An interesting horse breeding system is implemented in Black Desert Online.
  • sunfrog said:
    I have a question about mounts but I don't know if it's worthy of it's own post so I'll leave it here.

This is a taste thing, I actually prefer Warhorses to fairy dragons or weird chickens. It all comes down to personal taste. Collectors will love the rarity of the summer sale horses, people like me will always prefer more 'mundane' (tbf a dragon is cool, just not a weird special fairy dragon), and others will like wacky head turning mounts.
  • As an aside, I really wish some game would add mounted combat to the system. Its always left out due to technical limitations (or made into a minigame) but being a mounted knight is such a cool and desirable fantasy that its saddening such a thing is almost never done. 
  • If the taming and breeding isn't rng based but actual work and a simple dna aspect with dominate and sub traitlines. Mounts and Pets.. cross breeding would probably be limited so people aren't having their female serpant bred with a male tiger.

Still, as a pet fiend I would spend a lot of time and effort to make a breeding ranch of all sorts.
  • I'm kind of hoping that bee keeping will be included!
    edited December 2017
    It would be amazing if they allowed extremely rare breeding to create some mythical creatures.  For instance from D&D days, Hippogryph's, Unicorn's, or Gryphon's.  There are many other instances of rare mythical creatures but those three spring to mind.
    Experimental and rare RNG crossbreeding would be quite interesting indeed. With unknown mysteries as to what may have allowed it to happen in the first place, which would make the experimental aspects of it fun.

• They stated you will be able to crossbred, but they have to be the same "type".  Their example was "You can't breed a horse and a turtle."   Some things will influence the outcome like the season and astrological signs. (but this was said in a early stream and may change.)  Mounts will also have a few abilities and traits to use, and you can breed them to try and pass those along. 
  • I hope that taming and breeding of animals will be combined into one profession.
    An interesting horse breeding system is implemented in Black Desert Online.
    I believe taming is the gathering portion, training is the refining, and breeding is the crafting. I'm under the impression that they are all separate professions at this time. So if that is indeed how it works you could tame and train (1 point tame 2 points train) or breed them (3 points) @MadMaximus
  • Sivanna said:
    They stated you will be able to crossbred, but they have to be the same "type".  Their example was "You can't breed a horse and a turtle."   Some things will influence the outcome like the season and astrological signs. (but this was said in a early stream and may change.)  Mounts will also have a few abilities and traits to use, and you can breed them to try and pass those along. 
    Sounds great :) Can't wait to try this.
  • Dorje said:

Experimental and rare RNG crossbreeding would be quite interesting indeed. With unknown mysteries as to what may have allowed it to happen in the first place, which would make the experimental aspects of it fun.

As long as there isn't too much RNG. Breeding horses in BDO forever to finally get a Tier 7 horse... only to have it learn worthless skills and be totally worthless was enraging. 
  • This is something I have ran into... once. I want to see it again. Gear that have bonuses to pets/summons. Not the player, the actual pet and summon equipped By the player him/her self. 

The last game I saw this in was the Final Fantasy 11 Dragoon, a few pieces of rare gear would enhance the wyvern. I collected almost all of them. 

I would like to see that type of gear in this game.
  • I thought the whole taming and breeding process was under one tree. 

I would think that would frustrate some people lol. You have to wait for someone to tame certain mounts just so you can breed them. I just wanna go explore, tame, then breed mounts. i kinda dont feel like i need 2 extra people in that equation like the other professions. I feel like it would make the tamming and breeding process a chore. 

Fishing and gardening probably have thier own trees and soo should animal husbandry. Now if i need the gardener to give me carrots for a herbivore beast or get a rare grade of fish from the fisher than i will gladly look for the assistance of another player.

Thats just me talking though idk how others feel about the subject.
  • Pinkberry said:
    I thought the whole taming and breeding process was under one tree. 

I would think that would frustrate some people lol. You have to wait for someone to tame certain mounts just so you can breed them. I just wanna go explore, tame, then breed mounts. i kinda dont feel like i need 2 extra people in that equation like the other professions. I feel like it would make the tamming and breeding process a chore. 

Fishing and gardening probably have thier own trees and soo should animal husbandry. Now if i need the gardener to give me carrots for a herbivore beast or get a rare grade of fish from the fisher than i will gladly look for the assistance of another player.

Agreed.
  • Pinkberry said:

I believe the goal in mind is to have people be dependant on each other. Fishing and gardening would be considered gathering professions each requiring 1 point allowing you to select a 3rd gather profession should you choose. Now I may not be correct but from the viewpoint of other professions, let's use blacksmith, mining would be gathering (1 point) smelting would be refining (2 points) and blacksmithing would be crafting (3 points). 

Going with that logic you could select both mining and smelting using all 3 of your artisan points and you could provide to a local Smith or sell your product in another node. This method requires you to either work together with friends or create agreements or trades with others encouraging people to work together. Which I personally think is amazing. 
  • Pure speculation till they provide more information in the coming months.
    Most likely the taming process will fall under gathering. Basic mounts like horses almost anyone will be able to tame in the wild by default, but more exotic like turtles or gliders and such will require points spent in the gathering tree.
    Being able to improve the stats of tamed mounts will fall under refining. Making that basic horse able to wear barding or run faster through training. The more points spent in refining will increase the levels that you can increase those stats. Probably an addon at freehold like a corral to augment that function, just like we saw the different kinds of smelters in the livestreams.
    Being able to take two different mounts and getting them to make babies based off of those augmented stats will require points in production. Basic production would allow you took pick and choose colors and level of stat ranges, more points in the tree would allow you to combine exotics. Want a turtle that can climb trees and glide? Better be a master breeder able to use the barn addon to get certain types of animals to cross-breed.
    Since we know that mounts and non-cosmetic pets with stats will be items in inventory this allows anyone to sell said mounts once acquired. Gatherers will round up lots of low level horse for example to provide to refiners to grind through stat combinations, production breeders could then select the different types of animals to try and combine. All would be able to sell their product at any part of this process. Once someone bought the mount, we know that they would be able to resell it. There is sure to be a system for decay of mounts also, otherwise you would have the same problem you would have with smith producing weapons that have infinite ability to be used and resold when outleveled or bored with, removing the need for high level crafters once the market is flooded.
    edited January 2018
    Pinkberry said:

EDIT: I think my original post was wrong after reading this and Unknown did a better job of explaining what we know.

http://www.aocwiki.net/Mounts

Reading what we know on the wiki, it sounds like taming and breeding are different ways to get mounts. If you go out and tame an animal, it can become a mount. It sounds like breeding is another option to get mounts, possibly the way to get better or at least more specialized ones.

I think the separation is good as both professions cater to different playstyles. Tamer is good for people who want to explore and breeders are good for those who want to chill in towns or on their freehold. Making players do both would make things become complex.
  • I think it's confirmed that mounts will not be up for purchase in the cash-shop, so AoC will definately have fun way of acquiring mounts.