Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!

Boats, ships, ports, and swimming

Will there be ships or boats to buy or build, and ports of trade?.
Also, does the character have the ability to swim?

Comments

• ArchivedUserArchivedUser Guest
    edited December 2017
    Yes
  • Pirates!
  • Allusir said:
    Pirates!
    Arrrrrr Matey!! :)
  • Well as we saw in the live stream on 15th December there will indeed be swimming. 
  • @Varkun Hopefully as fast as they showed! You won't need a ship like that 😀
  • yes it did seem a little fast
  • If there are ships, I wonder is the concept of gun powder there ? or will there be magic powered cannons ?
  • No gunpowder in game, confirmed a couple different times. People have latched onto the idea that they might still have gunpowder based cannons on ships since the quote is gunpowder based weapons for players and people are basically saying that doesn't rule out ship weapons. I have a memory of a livestream where ship cannons not being gunpowder based was stated, but can't be fussed to browse through and find it.

• Im hoping swim speed slows depending on amount of gear or type o gear equipped. and it im sure itll be slower than alpha or ships lose some relevancy. As far as naval combat, im hoping to see the classic ships ramming into each other and boarding ships to kill everyone on the enemy ship. And due to the lack of cannons im assuming long range combat will have to be done with mages and archery related classes but balanced to the extent that you cant destroy a ship before melee combat breaks out.
  • There will be swimming, and ships. Also, there probably will be some form of naval pvp combat. On land, there are trade caravans, used by players to deliver resources to nodes for money. The caravans will be attackable by the opposite faction. I'm guessing there will be something of a similar kind for ships. Maybe some sort of merchant ships that could carry lots of resources and be taken over by opposite factions.
  • Ship caravan system is confirmed.

• If there are ships, I wonder is the concept of gun powder there ? or will there be magic powered cannons ?
    Why would you need gun powder or magic? Don't you think a catapult or a ballista with burning arrows will do enough damage to an enemy ship?
    I hope we get a number of ship mounted siege engines as well as the possibility to attack enemy towns from the sea.
  • Brir said:
    If there are ships, I wonder is the concept of gun powder there ? or will there be magic powered cannons ?
    Why would you need gun powder or magic? Don't you think a catapult or a ballista with burning arrows will do enough damage to an enemy ship?
    I hope we get a number of ship mounted siege engines as well as the possibility to attack enemy towns from the sea.
    1. valid point. If a ship were attacking an island of a sort yeah catapult or ballista can easily bring them down. However remember that a ships are on sea and if a ship came out of a storm then fire isnt very effective against wet wood.
    2. If its ship vs ship well you cant exactly be carrying catapults on a ship. I can see ships lined with ballista though.

on a side note, i wonder if you can jump from a ship and swim to an enemy ship to do a sneak attack. Be pretty cool.