Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!

Tulnar race customizations chat 😀

Hello all, 

I just wanted to discuss what kind of options we would like to see for the tulnar race, which is btw the class i am looking forward to the most. 

Im looking forward to the mammal aspect of the creation process, like if i have the ability to create a satyr. I would start out with short little horns and little hooves as feet. I would most deff be planning on being a bard with a flute for my satyr. Of course im thinking of attributes that are cute (some of us girls loveeeee making cute character).

Im just hoping the option is there for us to create tulnar characters of the cute variety. I know there will be plenty of options to make the typical baddazz toon, but i just hope its equal opportunity. 

If they have a strong diversity of what you can make then maybe we can see some cool and cute mythical creatures like a minotaur or a cute chibi 9 tailed fox creature. 

Comments

• Definitely need some cat girls.  >:) 
  • ArchivedUserArchivedUser Guest
    edited December 2017
    I really hope that it's a wide variety of choices and this is there way of appeasing all of the people that like animal like characters without needing to add in multiple different races. 

Idk how but I didn't even think of a satyr but that would be great!!! And you have no idea how much I want to make a cute little fox thing. It's pretty much all I want out of a race lol. 

My personal hopes going down the body

Head-a variety of faces to fit with a variety of themes. This includes more mammal, reptilian, and avian options. The fact that they had that lore tidbit about the Avian monster like things make me hopeful for bird options. Several kinds of horns, fang options, and more avian/reptilain topnof head options. 

Back/body-I hope we see spikes, fins, manes, maybe even some wing like things, even if they don't actually do anything. Scale, fur, feathers and lack of them options. 

Arms-gimme claws. Like old school Asmodian(aion) claws. If avian is included gimme some arms that look wingish.

Legs/feet-I hope we have an option for hooves, or claws, as well as normal feet. Also a variety of tails. I'll even deal without any kind of visible boots for these. 

Personally ill be very sad if they limit our choices too much with this. If this is supposed to be the end result of many different races and creatures of verra that rode out the exodus, we should have many different options. We live in thisbworld with beautiful and horrific creatures, let us play as beautiful and horrific creatures. 
  • Yes i couldn't agree more with you guys. I would love nothing more than to create a chibi dog creature. 

I think intrepid will not disappoint when it comes to the character creator cause of the level of details they bring to every other aspect of the game. 

I cant wait to see a character customization preview. 
  • :u I like a lot of the choices you've all recommended. The big thing for me, definately, is how much of a lizard/dragon I can be. Let me choose scale types(Because some reptiles have scales that cling to their body thus providing a consistent texture, and others have scales that you could stick something under. Also, some scales are pointed and sharp, others are rounded, and others are kind of like a bunch of rocks cobbled onto an animal.) and let me have a blade on my tail, and we're good. Horns, also, are very important. Please, no handlebars. In the wild, horns usually have the purpose of self defense. So, I really don't want to see two little baby horns on the side of my Tulnar because "Oh, well, it looks cool". It's not realistic... and looks silly. Long, sharp, and intimidating. That's what they should go for.
  • My goal is a lizardman similar in appearance and posture to the lizardmen in warhammer. The only big features i want is the elongated lizard snout/jaw and tail.

I'm also very interested in how our gear is going to look. We have an idea on how all the other races gear look but the tulnar. I'm kind of hoping for a dark spiky look similar to the orcs in LOTR.
  • Dragon customization, that alone would make the game worth playing a lot more ;)
    edited December 2017
    I hope thats an option to have different style wings and to either tone down the scales and make it apear half human half harpy or a siren. Ohh maybe even a mermaid on land idea would be cool.
  • It would be cool if there were bat / demon / dragon wings that are not only half open behind one but can be worn like a coat.

• Sounds like some dracula wannabe xD
  • I just do not like that when a char is winged and you can not even enter a building because they are just out of the way, or you can not see anything from the fight because they block the view, etc.

• Something I'm personally really hoping for is to be able to make a Tulnar that's Tiefling-ish or Nightcrawler-ish, considering that they said some of the options would lend more towards looking more humanoid (this was said to compare/contrast to reptilian, mammalian, so I can only assume they mean lending more towards a human-ish appearance in comparison to looking more 'beastly').

Here are a couple examples I've seen around as examples of what I'd love to be able to play as one of The Forgotten:

( from here: https://charlie-bowater.deviantart.com/art/Ivae-89759132 )

I love this one for the colors, claws, tail, eye color, and horns.  She could potentially stand to have some sort of further non-human features as a Tulnar, maybe scales along her arms and legs, or patches of fur here-and-there.  Without those is entirely fine too in my opinion, though!  I think it's a far enough deviation away from the existing races that it's clear she isn't an Elf/Orc/Dwarf/Human, but her features still call them (particularly Elves and Humans) to mind.

(from here: https://oscarromer.deviantart.com/art/Nightcrawler-471468360)

With this I like the three fingers/toes, the skin color, the facial features, and the tail.  In my opinion this looks un-jumbled enough that it could even be an ancestral pre-Tulnar race (maybe a race that originally lived in the Underrealm?).  Though he could also easily be a combination of something elf-like and something else.

Similar to above, I like that there's certainly something strongly humanoid in there, but you can't be sure what it is.  Were the pointed ears from some Elven ancestry?  Were they from the same ancestry that gave him the tail, blue skin, and three fingers/toes?  You can't really be sure with something like a Tulnar (and they might not even know themselves), and I think it adds a lot of wonderful mystery to it.

(This one is from our very own Jeff Delierre!)

Again, on the human-ish spectrum, but mixing in some clear beast traits.  I don't think there's a lot that needs to be said about how awesome as a concept this is.  She's clearly got a lot of human traits, but they're mixed with the "beast traits" enough to make it very clear she isn't a human.  The fur + patterns, the ears, the claws, the tail—It all comes together super well.  I would absolutely love to see some Tulnar like this as well.

Non-human-ish ones are harder to find something for, because in my opinion they shouldn't be 1:1 with real-world (or even in-world) animals.  They're still a mixture of various races, and I think to reflect that they shouldn't just be "cat men" or "lizard men" entirely.

(From what I can find, this is Aion concept art: http://aion.wikia.com/wiki/File:Mau.jpg )

As an example of what I was talking about above, while this is clearly a tiger-man, it isn't just a tiger walking on two feet with opposable thumbs.  There are changes to his structure and look that keeps in line with the inspiration while presenting the concept of a "tiger man" as something new.
  • It would be great if AoC installs the char creation tool on the website sometime next year, so that we can create chars and to express our opinion.

• I doubt that character customization is going to be finished that soon, they said it's inspired by the BDO character customization, at most they'll have a few customization options for Alpha 1. Well I wish they released something like that too though :blush:

• I have faith that the character creator will be amazing. I mean we know they listen and take feedback off the suggestions we all talk about.  

In my opinion i think its gonna be better than bdo character creator just because they listen and care. 
  • My goal is a lizardman similar in appearance and posture to the lizardmen in warhammer. The only big features i want is the elongated lizard snout/jaw and tail.

I'm also very interested in how our gear is going to look. We have an idea on how all the other races gear look but the tulnar. I'm kind of hoping for a dark spiky look similar to the orcs in LOTR.

As you show in your attached image the race should invoke fear and possibly pure loathing when seen by others. The Tumerok's is AC were fun also
  • I think that Tulnar should definitely be reptilian and bestial but to the max at least, definitely humanoid but not just a "furry" race that looks like a human but with cat ears or reptilian eyes. They have to look like they were corrupted, like they were physically changed and mutated.  Image result for bestial humanoid artImage result for bestial humanoid art
  • why wings in an underground area? you'll probably hit the ceiling.
    other than that, I really like it
  • Dragon customization, that alone would make the game worth playing a lot more ;)
    I like it, except for the fact that she's wearing a bikini armor.
  • I'm hoping for mostly humanoid with some cat ears, a cute tail, and some sexy abs.... love me some hot cat boys. 
  • @Allusir
    I agree, kitty cats would be really neat :mrgreen:
    Foxes are pretty cool too.. ;)

edited December 2017
    zazukeys said:
    @Allusir
    I agree, kitty cats would be really neat :mrgreen:
    Foxes are pretty cool too.. ;)

HOW DARE YEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!
    INUYASHA is neither cat or fox, he is a Dog demuuuuuuun. 

Lol
    I would enjoy having both options of either a more humanoid figure with just ears and tails or the latter.
    edited December 2017
    I hope they have lots of addon options. I wanna see fox and dog ears and tails. Since im xtra girly i wouldnt mind seeing optiins for a cute bunny character or make a satyr.

Bunny warrior lol soo cute.

Satyr idea i love.

If i can make a satyr imma be a bard with a flute. Ongosh dream come true.
  • I'm sure the options will be great, but I'd bet they will also be keeping a certain ascetic. Probably no tiny lalafell ish type things. They seem to be going more for the bad-a style... but I could be wrong. Just my guess.
  • Yea it seems a lot of people want the tulnar to be some anime-like beast race with animal tails and ears. From the earlier concept arts we could see shapes and well, to me it looks like they will be mostly lizard-like, considering that they have been living underground for who knows how long. Well we can all dream of cute cat eared characters :cry:
  • You want cutesy, anime style bs, not going to find it here.

edited January 2018
    Lol jus so you know there are way more anime archetypes than a **** style characters.

Plus alot of people here are fans of anime and i think intrepid understands this. 

In my opinion It wouldnt be out of reason to have these types of customizations as long as its complimentary to the games art and style.

Annnnnnnd come on they also have a orc race called the REN'KAI thats themed after japan. You really dont think we not gonna see some fantastically tastefull weeb stuff. Ill bet anybody!!!!!! Lol.
  • I also had an idea as everyone is saying the tulnar rave could also be brokwn into 2 sub races like the other races.

That way both groups of people win. I mean honestly im also comming from an female pov, i just wanna make some semi-realistic cute characters.

I want equal customizations options to make a dainty cute mage instead of a short stank faced Amazonian, that i cant quite get the face right tooon.
     (Sorry ESO character creator PTSD)
    edited January 2018
    I guess it all depends on what changed them and if it breeds true. Otherwise two Tulnar parents could have children that do not possess the same traits or extent of those traits as they do. Each individual could be anywhere from 10-100% bestial.

This would allow us to make characters that are mostly Human to mostly bestial. Think Catgirl to Lionman.
  • I guess it all depends on what changed them and if it breeds true. Otherwise two Tulnar parents could have children that do not possess the same traits or extent of those traits as they do. Each individual could be anywhere from 10-100% bestial.

This would allow us to make characters that are mostly Human to mostly bestial. Think Catgirl to Lionman.
    I like thisssss!!!!!!
    • Players will have dials to adjust the reptilian, mammalian, humanoid, and other attributes of their Tul'nar character in the Character creator.
    So says an article on the wiki. I think based on this we will be able to have things be more humanoid or more beast like... and those beasts will include reptilian and mammalian options :smile:

This should be enough to go for a nice cat boy with just ears, tail, maybe a little claw action, but mostly human... just hoping the armor style won't be like most games where only female characters show off tons of skin :wink: