Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!

The importance of a good game soundtrack

I believe that for a game to be truly amazing, it needs an awesome soundtrack and background music. The music plays a key part in setting the tone and style of the game. We haven't really heard anything from the soundtrack in AoC though, so maybe the developers has just come to the conclusion that it isn't very important? I would like to hear you guys opinion on wether or not the developers of the game should focus and invest into an epic soundtrack or if they should just focus 100% on the rest of the game and just have some medicore music. What's your opinion??

Comments

• yes, a great soundtrack would help the game by leaps and bounds. sadly though no news about the sound track.
    If there is going to be a subpar soundtrack, I'll just turn off the volume and listen to music from my phone instead.
  • The music we've heard so far is very suitable, so I have hopes that the rest of the soundtrack will be too. Getting a decent composer to do a soundtrack shouldn't be a problem. Even rubbish mmorpgs usually have a passable soundtrack. What will be harder to get right are the in-game sound effects and ambience. That is just as important for the immersion as a good soundtrack to go with it. There's no point in having an Oscar winning soundtrack if the sound effects sound like they came from the original Runescape.
  • I agree completely with your idea on the importance of an OST in an mmo or really just rpgs in general. I'd love to see the soundtrack be stupendous. I want to see a game where I don't have to tab out and listen to music to be engaged. If you look at "The Team" page of this website, there aren't currently any sound designers listed. This might mean absolutely nothing but idk. Hopefully it'll be great.
  • Good sound does make things more memorable. I've returned to zones in games after remembering music of those zones before.

I know that this thread is about soundtracks, but I've got to say that there were times where I had avoided playing certain race and sex combos because of some bad voice acting. Got to be careful with those squeaky voices. They sometimes sound like tweenager banshees when it comes to screaming sound effects.
  • I found a good sountrack to put in the game
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LXUSaVw3Mvk

Just kidding here is the real song
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=47Crpjlb63k
  • Step 1. Hire Jeremy Soule
    Step 2. Pay Jeremy Soule to make your soundtrack
    Step 3. Insert what Jeremy Soule composed into your game
    Step 4. Listen to the amazing soundtrack your game has and rejoice.

Thomas Bergersen would be an interesting choice, as well.
  • I played WOW for a grand duration of 1 month, and even now, whenever someone mentions great music in an MMO, this is all I can think about. If ashes even gets close to this its gonna be HUGE!

https://youtu.be/BPjeNWDsszw
  • [quote quote=12953]Step 1. Hire Jeremy Soule
    Step 2. Pay Jeremy Soule to make your soundtrack
    Step 3. Insert what Jeremy Soule composed into your game
    Step 4. Listen to the amazing soundtrack your game has and rejoice.

Thomas Bergersen would be an interesting choice, as well.

[/quote]

Yeah. Jeremy Soule is a legend! I would cry tears of happiness if they actually managed to get him!!