Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!

I hope they give us SOME lore before launch...

I'm all on board for no one knowing what the lore of Vera is. That makes complete sense. But unless travel through the portals also wipes the traveler's memory (plz no, so hacky), my character should have an entire head-full of memories of the land they came from. They should already know which races get along and which have grudges and why. They should know WHY they're returning to Vera, what motivated them to return and who/what they're leaving behind.

I understand that coming up with your own backstory is part of it, but if we have zero canonical framework to build from, it just leaves things too open. One character could be a down-on-their luck dwarf who lost everything in a game of dice and bones, and is running to Vera to escape his debts and start anew. And another character could be a My Little Pony spirit that transformed into elven form upon stepping through the portal, only to discover they're actually a dragon-vampire-god of Vera who is only just now remembering their true identity due to their return home...

I'm exaggerating here to make my point, but with nearly zero bedrock lore to build from, ridiculous back stories like that second one are just as viable as the first.

Comments

• We should be learning quite a bit of lore during beta.
    Who gets along and who doesn't isn't determined by race.
    Races don't have grudges against each other.

You can decide for yourself why your character wants to return to Verra.
    You don't need the devs to provide you with lore to decide that your character lost everything while gambling and hopes to start fresh on Verra.
    One thing we do know is that magic exists on Verra but not from the world players are leaving.

People can come up with ridiculous backstories regardless.
    But, what you really seem to be asking for is not the lore of Verra...
    Rather what you want is the lore of the world players are leaving in order to return to Verra.

I expect we will have some of that lore, as well as a name for that world, prior to launch.
    Yes.
  • "Who gets along and who doesn't isn't determined by race...Races don't have grudges against each other."

Has that been declared by the devs? In every other fantasy setting that I've read/played there definitely is division amongst the races to one extent or another.

"The elves didn't come to our aid back during that one time...the dwarves charge too much for their wares because they're so money-grubby...the humans wont stop emptying their chamber pots into our mine shafts." Whatever. There's always racial tensions based on prior happenings. And yes, there are those of every race who see the value and benefit of working together and looking passed their differences (omg just like real lifes!) in order to improve the lives of everyone.

If the devs take the FF14 carebear route and just make every race perfectly happy with each other and there's no old grudges or tension between them, that'd be a real shame.
  • @Vhalkin
    I guess because we are all from another world, which was peaceful (or at least not that dangerous), all races figured out their problems.
    I mean.. all those races lost their home
    "We" all lost our home Sanctum
    That's why we have to get a fresh start .. and maybe there is nothing like "those conquering humans" or "these conceited elves".
    They are just humans, elves, orcs etc
    Just individual persons.
  • ArchivedUserArchivedUser Guest
    edited January 2018
    We do have some lore and i'm sure we will get more as time goes on.

The lore doesn't say "elves hate dwarves" but that doesn't mean the world becomes carebear and void of conflict. Even though they haven't written in who races hate, the current lore does give you an idea on why a race might be hated. The Kaelar have done a lot of conquering, the Vaelune are rich/possibly greedy, the Py'rai probably kill whoever comes into there land, etc.

Here is the lore we do have if you hadn't seen it yet.

• Vhalkin said:
    I'm all on board for no one knowing what the lore of Vera is. That makes complete sense. But unless travel through the portals also wipes the traveler's memory (plz no, so hacky), my character should have an entire head-full of memories of the land they came from. They should already know which races get along and which have grudges and why. They should know WHY they're returning to Vera, what motivated them to return and who/what they're leaving behind.

I understand that coming up with your own backstory is part of it, but if we have zero canonical framework to build from, it just leaves things too open. One character could be a down-on-their luck dwarf who lost everything in a game of dice and bones, and is running to Vera to escape his debts and start anew. And another character could be a My Little Pony spirit that transformed into elven form upon stepping through the portal, only to discover they're actually a dragon-vampire-god of Vera who is only just now remembering their true identity due to their return home...

I'm exaggerating here to make my point, but with nearly zero bedrock lore to build from, ridiculous back stories like that second one are just as viable as the first.
    Exactly this. Even if we never see the old world, a description (possibly a short story?) would be appreciated. 
  • @McStackerson
    Yet if the races would hate each other , why would they decide to create cities together?
    I guess its something like: let the past in the past.
  • Ribenji said:
    Yet if the races would hate each other , why would they decide to create cities together?
    Maybe i didn't word it the best but I wasn't implying that the races hate each other just that there are reasons individuals might not like a race. There are no race wide rivalries but that doesn't mean there aren't individuals who have had bad experiences and are now prejudice against members of a race.

This is purely for an individuals fun and doesn't affect the playerbase as a whole.
  • Ribenji said:
    Maybe i didn't word it the best but I wasn't implying that the races hate each other just that there are reasons individuals might not like a race. There are no race wide rivalries but that doesn't mean there aren't individuals who have had bad experiences and are now prejudice against members of a race.

This is purely for an individuals fun and doesn't affect the playerbase as a whole.
    Right. It's always good for their to be 3 dimensional relations between the races. It gives more material for story and roleplay. 
  • We do have some lore and i'm sure we will get more as time goes on.

The lore doesn't say "elves hate dwarves" but that doesn't mean the world becomes carebear and void of conflict. Even though they haven't written in who races hate, the current lore does give you an idea on why a race might be hated. The Kaelar have done a lot of conquering, the Vaelune are rich/possibly greedy, the Py'rai probably kill whoever comes into there land, etc.

Here is the lore we do have if you hadn't seen it yet.

This is right in line with what I was looking for, thank you. Its very brief, very basic, but its definitely a step toward what I'm hoping we'll get more of. Bump and a repost.
  • Well it's still very early to get any concrete info on the lore of our characters, but I'm really looking forward to how they will deal with it, a memory wipe is definately the easiest and most boring way to go around for sure though.
  • We will get a ton of lore later in development. During beta the lore will be clear.
  • Ribenji said:

I believe the rivalries will build up fast as they actually meet and get to know each other. Maybe most races have never even met eachother before entering Serra, since they may come from different worlds.
  • as far as we know, the game is still two years from coming out (the hype train seems to have slightly outpaced the actual game's development).  There will be more lore. Particularly, before the beta I'm guessing they will need to build up some of the religions since we'll be able to test out divine nodes and that sort of thing.
  • @Ribenji Well maybe because they already showed art concepts of orcs fighting humans? I mean if you have everyone singing kumbaya around a camp fire I would rather have them put 0 lore period as it would be silly. Humans have been going to war with each over the last 10k years, how would 3 different species be any better?

@Vhalkin I would say the only reason why they have not made lore in my opinion is they have yet to hire people to do this full time. Right now the major focus is trying to get the core game up and running. From the way the Pax streams went they seemed like they have 0 lore ready other then the bare bones basic as it seemed like it was a struggle for them just to come with a world name.

I agree with the previous posters that lore will not start pouring out until at best beginning of 2019. I really look forward to the lore as I like creating fan made stories.
    edited January 2018
    @Tomoyuki
    Please read carefully what I wrote and please rad what McStackerson wrote

edit: sorry don't want to sound mean
  • I cannot wait to hear more lore from the team and if any books come out I will be sure to read them. It is interesting to see how they have left so much of the story left open at the moment for them to fill in.
  • They are slowly feeding us lore i believe via various sources... Which i cant quote sadly. But the world will surely be opened up to us more and more o7
    edited February 2018
    1. The gate are associated with races. Which means they probably came from differnet worlds or 1 gate would suffice.
    2. No one has been through the gates for 1000+ years. In which case people from different worlds would have no 'modern' recognition of each other. Only myth/legend about other races passed through 1000 hands, each tainted by opinion and bias that may be so far from the truth the history record is worthless.
    3. Cultures change over time. As a rule, to grow, they must become more peaceful. The must learn to collaborate rather than compete.
  • I am just going to add the handy tagline I found at the end. @lexmax answered this one a while back, so he can provide the sources if he wants, but we have all the current people coming from a single world. That world's name has not been released. The other races are aware of each other, and it has been closer to 10,000 years than a 1000 since they originally fled Verra. All of this information can be taken with a grain of salt though, since Steven has said that they are masking many lore points and outright fibbing on others to keep the big "reveals" for live launch after testing.

"Set on a fallen world untouched by civilization for thousands of years, our players will: Rebuild. Repopulate. Rediscover."
    Jan 2017 Interview.
  • I am just going to add the handy tagline I found at the end. @lexmax answered this one a while back, so he can provide the sources if he wants, but we have all the current people coming from a single world. That world's name has not been released. The other races are aware of each other, and it has been closer to 10,000 years than a 1000 since they originally fled Verra. All of this information can be taken with a grain of salt though, since Steven has said that they are masking many lore points and outright fibbing on others to keep the big "reveals" for live launch after testing.

"Set on a fallen world untouched by civilization for thousands of years, our players will: Rebuild. Repopulate. Rediscover."
    Jan 2017 Interview.
    I think I just fell even more in love!