Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!

Things Intrepid Studios could learn from other games

A question that comes to me once in a while when i play a new game and i see wich mechanics they didnt realize good is why didnt they look at simlar games before they produce their game. Or why didnt they even look at their own games. Like the sims games wich are always loosing more good parts from previous games than they get. Why cant new games look at similar games from the same kind to see what they did good or bad and like this get better every time. Instead of this mistakes get repeated and good ideas get lost. 

So i like to say some about things i like in other games and i would like to see in ashes as well and then ask the community what you think other games did good or bad.

To begin i take eso cause i played it for a long time.

I like the customizability of player made gear. through this crafters become a irreplaceable part of the world. I think i heared already that ashes also will do something similar so i hope they do it good like in eso or even better.

I like their implementation of housing. Specially that you can get many usable items for your home so you have a reason to come back. I know ahses has confirmed a lot of stuff that you can do with freeholds but i hope there will be usable items also for instanced apartments.

What i like most is that questing in eso can change the world around you. I know players as a whole will change the world in ashes dramaticly but what about a single quest. I dont know how to integrate something like this without a system like eso where players cant see each other if 1 didnt do a quest wich changes the world but i rly would like to see effects to the world after i finish a quest even if just i can see them. For example if i do a quest to save a tree from a curse and after the quest is finished the tree is green and livly again.

Thats it for eso.

Next neverwinter online. 

I hate the using of currencies in this game. There are like a million of them and thats so confusing and unnecessary. Same in black desert online where every region drops his own redeemable useless items. In neverwinter you have a seperate bag for this at least. So pls dont do a million diffrent currencies and if you do more then 1 then give them a seperate bag pls. 

What i also dont like is that achievements grant you permanent buffs. Sure something other people will think diffrent but i think this is also unnecessary plus people get forced to do all content. 

Next Black desert online 

.. graphics are amazing almost everything else is meh xD

Resident evil 4 

I know this is not a mmo but this game was just addicting as hell. I think 1 reason for this was the good balanced amount of goodies to find. It ALWAYS felt so good to find some gemstone you can then change for a good amount of money. Mmos on the other hand have to limit the loot you can get from 1 mob strict so you dont get mighty to fast. But why dont place some more then 1 treasure chest once every 2 hours ? Pls reward me for my search time and not just with a amount of gold or items i cant even buy some icecream from. 

To the end something about ships. 

Great games to look for ship gameplay in my opinion are blackwake, assasins creed 4 and whats out so far from sea of thieves. If ahses of creation will create a similar feeling when you drive a ship it would be awesome.

Comments

• That is one thing I like about ESO is the need to explore. Whats in that cave? Better look behind that rock to see if there is a crafting component I need or a chest I can unlock.

In Vanguard Saga of Heroes, I love the Diplomacy game you did with NPCs. I loved that there were clothingappearance tabs for each game activity whether its combat, crafting or diplomacy and your character would change clothes based on what you were doing.
  • Heck no Ashes should stray as far away from that terrible thing ESO calls housing, it is by far the worst possible implementation of it by any MMORPG to date. 
  • Heck no Ashes should stray as far away from that terrible thing ESO calls housing, it is by far the worst possible implementation of it by any MMORPG to date. 
    Explain that pls l like it a lot ;)

Only thing i dislike on it is that you can buy a lot of things with real money but they can also be earned with a fair amount of time.
  • The money part I also hate, beside the instancing. Reminds me a lot of the BDO housing system, which tbh I think they def copied lots of elements from it, but houses there actually felt fluid with the city and realistic with way more uses.
  • Sora_NGNL said:
    I like the customizability of player made gear. through this crafters become a irreplaceable part of the world. I think i heared already that ashes also will do something similar so i hope they do it good like in eso or even better.
    I am also very excited to see what AOC does with their crafting system.  :)
    I really enjoy events so personally I hope they do something with special events and nodes.  B)

• great post

the thing I hate in all games is " if you don't have top gear you cant be in top raids " gear should help u not be the reason u are successful . that goes for pvp as well if you are new to a game you have no chance to succeed

• More uses for housing, more group-dependent, more diversified crafting than BDO and with similar questmapping, fixed AH pricing, diversity of stuff to do
  • Sora_NGNL said:

To the end something about ships. 

Great games to look for ship gameplay in my opinion are blackwake, assasins creed 4 and whats out so far from sea of thieves. If ahses of creation will create a similar feeling when you drive a ship it would be awesome.

A more comparable naval combat would be an improvement over what Archeage did and let met tell you that it was the only thing AA did right until they didn't add a great variety of combat ships and their size. Can't really compare Blackwake  or AC 4 to mmorpgs thought it would be hell of lit if the galleons on Ashes were as big as the ones in Assassins Creed.