Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!

Let there be Dark!

Hi  Verrians
This thought applies not only to AOC only but to RPG games in general.
I remember in a Elder Scroll game (non MMO)one of the racial passives for my race at the time was that it could see in the dark, which was awesome I didn't need to worry about torches and it was a massive advantage in dark spaces. Like darkvision in D and D.
When I reflect now days, I personally miss the lack of dark spaces in modern RPG's. Having light as a resource to manage either through magic, torches/lanterns candles or heck bringing a dark visioned Elf  along for example, for me would be interesting and challenging and would create a deeper sense of discovery, with maybe big braziers you could light in areas you fight bosses.

I totally understand creating a MMO with light as a resource is nearly impossible to create in such a way so that players do not get annoyed, but as Im growing older Im yearning for more hard core old school survival/exploration mechanics like no quest markers, no fast travel and ......darkness
Just a thought...peace and happy new year for 2018!!!

Comments

• I have to agree. Bring back illuminate spells, torches, and NO QUEST MARKERS. When ESO was in testing as soon as I seen quest markers I logged off and never looked back.(ES never had em, why the mmo) 

I understand the simplification can help many people. But I feel it takes away to much. I remember in EQ you even had to actually TALK to a NPC by using the chat. I dont think any MMO has come close to the immersion EQ had.
  • In some of the earlier game play videos the mage was creating an orb that provided light while travelling down a darkened tunnel. At this point in time it remains to be seen if they continue to created areas of the game that will require such light sources for the darker paces in the world of Verra.

It may be fun if on those moonless nights out on the surface of Verra will a light source be needed? At this point in time we simply do not know.
  • What about the other side of the spectrum? Underground races tend to be able to see perfectly in the dark. But during the day, the sunlight would be absolutely blinding.

I love the idea of monsters spawning at different times of the day though. 
  • Ariatras said:
    What about the other side of the spectrum? Underground races tend to be able to see perfectly in the dark. But during the day, the sunlight would be absolutely blinding.

I like it , I like it, That would be awesome. A real boundary between below ground and surface races would be a hell of a gamechanger!
  • This would be awsome, could have some strategic implications, for example, starting a siege at night? or moving goods from one zone to another with some mage or something to see in the dark? this is cool, it would immerse the player better into the game. 
    Something to have in mind about this stuff is "Gamma Cheat", in games where "Darkness matters" most players use Gamma Cheat incresing monitor brightness so they could see in the dark. This is a great idea anyways, i would love to see it.
  • Since mages can set things on fire, like in the trailer, i think dark places will be very very very dark.
  • I agree, I'm not sure it should be significant or not but, I would also like to consider when it's nighttime that everyone has a somewhat darker vibe for all characters.  

For instance, Dwarves should have slightly increased night vision/dark vision since they hail from underground.  Would only make sense that dwarves have increased vision in dark.
  • Ahh, but in the thousands of years since the Nikua Dwarves fled and became Polynesian island dwellers, maybe they have lost that racial ability. Thing with having incomplete lore, too many assumptions may turn out wrong when it comes to racial abilities. More likely is the Tulnar may be gifted with classic infravison/increased vision in the dark. Guess we will have to wait until racial bonuses are actually clarified and released down the line.
  • Ahh, but in the thousands of years since the Nikua Dwarves fled and became Polynesian island dwellers, maybe they have lost that racial ability. Thing with having incomplete lore, too many assumptions may turn out wrong when it comes to racial abilities. More likely is the Tulnar may be gifted with classic infravison/increased vision in the dark. Guess we will have to wait until racial bonuses are actually clarified and released down the line.
    Very true.  Interesting indeed sir.  Maybe mages will have truesight or maybe no one would have a dark vision improvement.  Either one I wouldn't mind.
  • The only underground caverns I have seen have been really well lit, except for a tunnel the mage was passing through. Even for the Tulnar, if they have mastered bio-luminescence(-magic) they might not even gain the benefit of dark-vision.

As USE mentioned, without racial abilities released or any lore the possibilities are almost limitless.

Either way, imo, I hope all racial stats/abilities are balanced. I tend to think along the lines of @Ariatras, increased effectiveness at night should have drawbacks during the day.
  • I know this is somewhat off topic but I wonder how far away before we get to see a list of racial abilities and bonuses/drawbacks. Steven has said that racial abilities will have an impact and be meaningful, so how this will impact classes, crafting and non-combat abilities will be interesting.

Will be interesting to see if there is the classic infravision or some similar low light vision. 
    haha Polynesian Dwarves!!
  • Mozsta69 said:
    Ahh, but in the thousands of years since the Nikua Dwarves fled and became Polynesian island dwellers, maybe they have lost that racial ability. Thing with having incomplete lore, too many assumptions may turn out wrong when it comes to racial abilities. More likely is the Tulnar may be gifted with classic infravison/increased vision in the dark. Guess we will have to wait until racial bonuses are actually clarified and released down the line.
    Umm...if you look at the concept artwork for their architecture that is exactly what they are going for. One of the earlier info drops was that different races will mirror IRL cultures in many ways.
  • ArchivedUserArchivedUser Guest
    edited January 2018
    Undead/vampires/wolfs  at night could be cool or maybe
      For a node boss/quest Could have undead coming out of the grown and coming to attack the community/ castle/town and we have to defend till we kill the main boss on in the hills or somthing could be good for Halloween theme ;) just a idea 
  • I hope they make dark actually-- dark and night actually feel like, well, NIGHT. I get so tired of MMORPGs lighting things up because people complain. I happen to like my darkness, leave my darkness alone. :|
  • As a summoner, i want my summons to carry torches, would be sooooo cool!
  • Varkun said:
    I know this is somewhat off topic but I wonder how far away before we get to see a list of racial abilities and bonuses/drawbacks. Steven has said that racial abilities will have an impact and be meaningful, so how this will impact classes, crafting and non-combat abilities will be interesting.

Will be interesting to see if there is the classic infravision or some similar low light vision. 
    I cannot wait to see the racial passives either .
  • I hope they make dark actually-- dark and night actually feel like, well, NIGHT. I get so tired of MMORPGs lighting things up because people complain. I happen to like my darkness, leave my darkness alone. :|
    Yes exactly how I feel as well! . Hey maybe with even creatures that only come out at night or even little mushrooms that sprout on full moons!
  • Dynasterz said:
    As a summoner, i want my summons to carry torches, would be sooooo cool!
    Haha why not 
  • Mozsta69 said:
    Ahh, but in the thousands of years since the Nikua Dwarves fled and became Polynesian island dwellers, maybe they have lost that racial ability. Thing with having incomplete lore, too many assumptions may turn out wrong when it comes to racial abilities. More likely is the Tulnar may be gifted with classic infravison/increased vision in the dark. Guess we will have to wait until racial bonuses are actually clarified and released down the line.
    Umm...if you look at the concept artwork for their architecture that is exactly what they are going for. One of the earlier info drops was that different races will mirror IRL cultures in many ways.
    Yes i know but the term polynesian dwarf has special resonance for me as I'm actually currently on holiday in New Zealand and surrounded by Polynesian culture...and let me tell you Dwarves they are not ! made me laugh
  • Ahhh, I see what you were going for now, I thought you were discounting the information as invalid, not laughing at the idea of huge Polynesians being of smaller stature. Yep, there are some impressive individuals that come from the islands. Many of your professional contact sports have people from the islands. But Island Dwarfism is a real thing.
    https://www.sapiens.org/column/animalia/island-dwarfism/

• Ahhh, I see what you were going for now, I thought you were discounting the information as invalid, not laughing at the idea of huge Polynesians being of smaller stature. Yep, there are some impressive individuals that come from the islands. Many of your professional contact sports have people from the islands. But Island Dwarfism is a real thing.
    https://www.sapiens.org/column/animalia/island-dwarfism/

Yes Im sure it is and not only on Islands! Thanks for the eduacation
  • The most i hate is looking at a black screen, filled with nothing but red HP bars.

I can't even begin to describe how annoying that is.
    I'm here to enjoy the graphics (among other things), and not to look at black screens.

But I guess our opinions differ. :)
  • Mozsta69 said:
    Dynasterz said:
    As a summoner, i want my summons to carry torches, would be sooooo cool!

I would go further and say if it's a fire mage / fire elemental summon, their flames would illuminate an area around them and the mage. 
  • I guess I could go with fire arrows being able to set whole area on fire. Light everywhere. Burn baby burn!
  • Ariatras said:
    What about the other side of the spectrum? Underground races tend to be able to see perfectly in the dark. But during the day, the sunlight would be absolutely blinding.

FFXI did this with undead monsters and stuff spawning at night, and with how you could De-level from exp loss on death, it was a bit more terrifying.  These undead that would spawn typically were several levels higher than the normal mobs that spawn in that area too, so it was more of a run and hide situation when you were leveling in an area like that.  It added a sense of emergency in the game.
  • Seriously even IRL at night without any source of light you won't see much, but games allow you to view a forest during night time as if it was morning, I really hope Ashes will properly deal with this, we have magic so making spells and items for a ball of light is no problem, especially dungeons should be dark in some places filled with traps, so players will prepare things like torches etc.
  • I think this mechanic is more for survival games.
  • Fiastos said:
    I think this mechanic is more for survival games.
    We're not really talking about mechanics, but the actual level of drakness we get in areas that are supposed to be dark.
  • If i want to realistically see blackness, I will exit through my front door in night and go to forest.

I'm playing the game to enjoy graphics, and environment, and not to ruin my eyes.

I'f you prefer blackness, set your windows background to black screen an look at it as long as you wish.