Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!

[Podcast] From The Ashes | Episode 33: Avoiding Cash Shop Pitfalls

From The Ashes | Episode 33: Avoiding Cash Shop Pitfalls - The Ashes of Creation podcast produced by The Dungeon Crawler Network! Join Aggelos and Thais, the Founders of The Dungeon Crawler Network, as they bear witness the rebirth of the MMORPG genre from the ashes of an industry that has left gamers behind!

This week, Aggelos is joined by Gundel, guild leader of Mythic, and Sinbad, one of the leaders of Vengeance, to go over the new Pre-Order store as well as going into some discussion about what Intrepid Studios needs to do to avoid common Cash Shop pitfalls that have ruined other MMORPGs. Be sure to follow our guest hosts by looking in the Podcast Information section below!

If you would like to join The Dungeon Crawler Network guild, Hands of Fate, follow the link below:

Hands of Fate - Application - Discord

Show Notes:

• Phoenix Roundtable: New Pre-Order Store & Cash Shop Pitfalls To Avoid

Podcast Information:

If you wish to support From The Ashes and The Dungeon Crawler Network, consider clicking the donate link on the bottom of our website or by supporting us over at our Patreon Page, Patreon.com/DungeonCrawlerNetwork or by using our Ashes of Creation Referral Link below! You can also support us by subscribing to our YouTube channel, leaving us a review on iTunes and Google Play, or by telling a friend about us!

Comments

• That lasted about my entire train ride to school. I like it. Interesting topic too. 
  • Ariatras said:
    That lasted about my entire train ride to school. I like it. Interesting topic too. 
    Glad you found it enjoyable!
  • Always love from the ashes podcast!  Can't wait to listen on my way home.
  • dracdoc said:
    Always love from the ashes podcast!  Can't wait to listen on my way home.
    Woot! We hope that you enjoy it!
  • ArchivedUserArchivedUser Guest
    edited January 2018
    Ahh for the days when there were no cash shops, when you paid your money got the game and off you went to play it, lol how times have changed. While I am not much of a collector and rarely buy things from the cash shop others do so I honestly don't have a problem with it as long as its not pay to win, and we know that is not ashes path.

There does however need to be significant incentives for such things as skins, mounts, pets and unique looking gear available through the game its self. As was pointed out this can be a very big factor in keeping people playing while they seek out such things. I know I spent endless hours acquiring some of the rare mounts in wow.

Good job guys great food for thought. 
  • I long for the days when you bought the game; Collector's Editions had cloth maps, books, figurines, coins (still have all mine); paid your subscription and all development went into the game.  Earning "things" in game that showed off what you had accomplished/where you had been.  There was pride in obtaining stuff, sometimes it was easy, but you did it.  You could tell each other's accomplishments just by looking.  How sad is it to look and dismiss someone by thinking, "Cash Shop".  It totally cheapens the game experience even if it is "only cosmetic".
  • T-Elf said:
    I long for the days when you bought the game; Collector's Editions had cloth maps, books, figurines, coins (still have all mine); paid your subscription and all development went into the game.  Earning "things" in game that showed off what you had accomplished/where you had been.  There was pride in obtaining stuff, sometimes it was easy, but you did it.  You could tell each other's accomplishments just by looking.  How sad is it to look and dismiss someone by thinking, "Cash Shop".  It totally cheapens the game experience even if it is "only cosmetic".

So well said, there needs to be incentives in game to keep people playing, far more than just a gear grind. Though one persons grind is an others fun.
  • ArchivedUserArchivedUser Guest
    edited January 2018
    👍