Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

World PvP

I've been taking a look at the interviews and discussions about open world PvP and the corruption system. I know there are already quite a few discussions around it and I've also seen a lot of people reacting positively to it. While I agree that the system for flagging people who PvP indiscriminately, (flagging them for bounty hunters or making other people aware that maybe this person isn't entirely trustworthy) I dont feel like punishing players with stat debuffs or giving them a disadvantage isn't necessarily a good thing. I've played a lot of different MMOs and I've been on both ends of those situations of killing any player and being killed by any player. Honestly, I enjoy it either way, because it gives me a rival or puts me in situations to either escape, evade or up my game to out play the other person with us both being at our best. My best memories of other MMOs were those moments playing where I just had fun doing open world PvP and can even still remember situations where I had some amazing jukes or just played better. It also keeps you on your toes as you play and makes you more engaged in the game instead of a more passive style of play. I've also seen systems of reporting player killing that work really well and where PvP can really get frustrating and out of hand. So, overall, I agree that the corruption system needs to be in place, but doesn't need to be significantly impact your play by limiting you character in any way, but instead flagging you as a target for bounty hunters and as someone to steer clear of or try to take down if you're feeling up to it. I hope you can see that while it may make the game casually easier, personally, I dont see AoC as a casual type of game. It's a game that encourages you to find your own story and play how you want and gankers and such are a part of that which for a game like AoC shouldnt be something that is punished or discouraged.

Comments

• Options
    ArchivedUserArchivedUser Guest
    edited January 2018
    All i can say is it will be balanced. They are only trying to discourage pointless pvp. You can see in how combatants have half the death penalty of a non-combatant that a goal of the system is to encourage people to fight back and i trust that they will try to balance it for that. They haven't given us the details on the death penalty but i'd imagine it will severe enough to strongly encourage people to take this offer and fight back. 

but yea, all we can really do now is wait and see. There are many who share your same concern. 
  • Options
    edited January 2018
    I agree with the OP 100%.  @McStackerson , i dont think there is pointless pvp...This game is to push RP and if i want to be an outlaw/bandit persay, I shouldn’t be repremanded for it.  Like the OP, some of my greatest MMO moments are getting ganked and finding that person and having retribution.  Also, to me, it pushes teamming up.  My friends/finding new friends and grouping together almost as a security blanket. While questing or anything was exciting and made for fond memories.  
  • Options
    edited January 2018
    All i can say is it will be balanced. They are only trying to discourage pointless pvp. You can see in how combatants have half the death penalty of a non-combatant that a goal of the system is to encourage people to fight back and i trust that they will try to balance it for that. They haven't given us the details on the death penalty but i'd imagine it will severe enough to strongly encourage people to take this offer and fight back. 

but yea, all we can really do now is wait and see. There are many who share your same concern. 
    I can understand that and I think when they get to that stage in development and get the feedback from players it will balance a bit more. However, this game really appeals to me personally. I love the idea of making your story and the world shaping around your choices and style of play. However, (and I know they've been back and forth on this) is that a lot of it seems to have a decent size RP focus. Attacks on caravans, bandits on the road, random raids, those kinds of things just seem like it would be something that should be common for a world in it's infancy and even later in life. I think the systems that they have in place (minus the corruption) are really pretty good at both encouraging and discouraging this type of play and making wandering out in the world not a hassle but an even more unique experience for everyone rife with danger and intrigue. I'm patient and can wait to see how they will balance it all out, but just hoping it's something they will consider is those all types of players especially for what kind of game it is and offer at least a better risk vs reward system.
  • Options
    I agree with saying there is no pointless PvP, to the player who wants to focus on it. Dynamic world PvP IMHO has made some of my best memories in past MMOs. It saddens me that developers increasingly have felt they need to create Arenas to contain PvP when we could have PvP utilising the beautiful zones they spent so much time painstakingly crafting.
  • Options
    edited January 2018
    The bright side of AoC is that pvp players are worth no more then pve players ( good news for pvpers because they don't get raked over the p2w coals like every other game out there) Bad news for pvp players is they are worth no more then pve players. So if penalty free ganking causes 3 other players to find a new game the the pvper is now a liability. 

I am not anti-pvp but honestly i dont really care for pointless pvp really at all. I get it if i found the super rare metal of the gods mine and someone ganked me for the mats. Problem becomes people get bored pvpers seem to happen faster then others so what do they do.. well head to the newb area and start griefing ( newb being defined as anyone they have a 90% or better chance of killing) 

I think an A$$H0l3 meter would be a great idea. Give pvp-ers ranks by how the player they killed rank. So taking out 100 newbs get you 0 rank points but taking down that guy who been racking up kills on skilled pvpers really gives you a huge bonus. So the guys with 2000 kills and no rank points you pretty much know is an A$$H0l3 

So while i think karma would be effective why not go with the positive as well. Lets see a rank that a focused pvp player can get by killed other skilled focused pvp players. vs a kill total which just encourages most people to spend their money elsewhere.