Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!

no druids?...

64 character classes, how was it possible not to have a druid? I was thinking (hoping) that it might be the mage/cleric combo if there is a nature spec for magic, but it seems not, though I don't know what an oracle or acolyte entails.

Comments

• The answer is in your post. Druid is too obscure. Personally know this class as pure summoner in 1 game, you assumed other combinations...
  • Hello @mupartee o/ I've heard multiple combo possibilities for Druid, I think it should be its own class at this point with each subclass able to shapeshift into something different, plus it could be possible those name are not final, would be nice to see Druid...welcome to the community  
  • Welcome to the community. I hope you have fun on the forum.
  • @mupartee welcome to the community!
  • Welcome, sorry that your druid hopes have been shattered
  • It's just the name of a class, I'm sure you can find the right setup with the current class list.
  • If anything should be a Druid it would be your TYPICAL ranger class + Mage class, no? Or summoner. 
  • Well in some cases druids are by extension herbalists with magical knowledge, if you're expecting a class that can control nature etc. then that doesn't differ much from mage.
  • The closest thing to druid would probably be Beast Master. 
  • Well I feel you, I've been playing as druid for a long time (even on board RPG) and after I stopped playing WOW I was looking for another game with a druid to play. Well let's hope there is still time for some changes .
  • ArchivedUserArchivedUser Guest
    edited January 2018
    Because Druids are the bad guys. If you take your bog standard WOW Druid as the template, then it is all about nature and balance and other tree hugger agendas. Think about what little we do know about the lore. There was a world corruption event several thousand years ago that made the planet basically uninhabitable and everyone who was left after the exodus either fled underground, or was changed via corruption. We are coming back now. Corruption is not gone, just reduced enough that the gods feel it is time to challenge the status quo. So your vaunted Druids would have no connection to the "World Tree"(insert lore specific nature reference here), and anyone channeling "nature" magic would fall to corruption quickly. Throw in the lore explanations for the pvp corruption mechanic, monster coins, and others, and you see a world where such casters would be a "monster class" right from the get. So gear up and get to killing them hippies.
    Image result for cartman hippie gif
  • Because Druids are the bad guys. If you take your bog standard WOW Druid as the template, then it is all about nature and balance and other tree hugger agendas. Think about what little we do know about the lore. There was a world corruption event several thousand years ago that made the planet basically uninhabitable and everyone who was left after the exodus either fled underground, or was changed via corruption. We are coming back now. Corruption is not gone, just reduced enough that the gods feel it is time to challenge the status quo. So your vaunted Druids would have no connection to the "World Tree"(insert lore specific nature reference here), and anyone channeling "nature" magic would fall to corruption quickly. Throw in the lore explanations for the pvp corruption mechanic, monster coins, and others, and you see a world where such casters would be a "monster class" right from the get. So gear up and get to killing them hippies.
    Image result for cartman hippie gif

It's true that druids could be 'bad guys' depending what you base them off, I once played a game where druids where more like nature priests and had no direct power over nature itself but could influence weather with enough preparations and had knowledge about herbs/plants and medicine.

Though the stereotypical druids could fall under the category you described, doesn't mean we won't get a druid class in some expansion (if there ever is).
  • Well wow drudis can transform into animals and stuff, but in other games that would be shamans, it just depends on how the devs will go about doing it ;p 
  • Welcome Mr Druid main :mrgreen:

• ArchivedUserArchivedUser Guest
    edited January 2018
    Because Druids are the bad guys. If you take your bog standard WOW Druid as the template, then it is all about nature and balance and other tree hugger agendas. Think about what little we do know about the lore. There was a world corruption event several thousand years ago that made the planet basically uninhabitable and everyone who was left after the exodus either fled underground, or was changed via corruption. We are coming back now. Corruption is not gone, just reduced enough that the gods feel it is time to challenge the status quo. So your vaunted Druids would have no connection to the "World Tree"(insert lore specific nature reference here), and anyone channeling "nature" magic would fall to corruption quickly. Throw in the lore explanations for the pvp corruption mechanic, monster coins, and others, and you see a world where such casters would be a "monster class" right from the get. So gear up and get to killing them hippies.

Well Wow druid was my last one but I also played a druid on Diablo,  Neverwinter Nights, D&D board rpg and even on UO I kinda made my chat a druid so there are many kinds of druid.

But talking about Lore I think exactly the opposite, first we don't know what  kind of corruption they are talking about it could be a social thing (ppl got to greedy), could be a virus or even magic... but lets assume the nature also got corrupted .... I think druids would be the ones responsible  to cleanse or heal the nature (not all nature is corrupted so let's say the can channel the good magic to clean the bad one ... or something like that) so they could play a big role in this new world.

But when I see how classes are designed .... I see druid fitting in many classes combinations...and that's the problem from the classes we have now druid would be a mix of 4 classes: Mage, cleric, Summoner and Ranger and if you take shapeshifting like WOW you could add 2 more: Rogue and Tank.... so if they ever make a druid I hope is a special class that doesn't have a subclass after all you don't need one, cause druid is the most versatile class even if he doesn't master any of the aspects...
  • I think you will see a Druid class character, it just will have a different name.....I loved the EQ Druid , porting , healing , kiting, ect.....
  • Geeksp said:

Well Wow druid was my last one but I also played a druid on Diablo,  Neverwinter Nights, D&D board rpg and even on UO I kinda made my chat a druid so there are many kinds of druid.

But talking about Lore I think exactly the opposite, first we don't know what  kind of corruption they are talking about it could be a social thing (ppl got to greedy), could be a virus or even magic... but lets assume the nature also got corrupted .... I think druids would be the ones responsible  to cleanse or heal the nature (not all nature is corrupted so let's say the can channel the good magic to clean the bad one ... or something like that) so they could play a big role in this new world.

But when I see how classes are designed .... I see druid fitting in many classes combinations...and that's the problem from the classes we have now druid would be a mix of 4 classes: Mage, cleric, Summoner and Ranger and if you take shapeshifting like WOW you could add 2 more: Rogue and Tank.... so if they ever make a druid I hope is a special class that doesn't have a subclass after all you don't need one, cause druid is the most versatile class even if he doesn't master any of the aspects...
    About the corrpution, I think they said it was a magical thing, though I can;t be sure.
  • Welcome to the forums, I believe you found your answer.
  • Druids always end up thinking of hippies....
  • I was also hoping for druids.. but I'll probably end with a ranger combo I think.
  • Welcome, I also wish there was a Druid! :disappointed:
  • It would be really cool to have some kind of Shapeshifter class. It would make AoC 10x better. Especially coming from WoW, Neverwinter, Diablo, and Divinity: Original Sin 2, Having some combat flexibility would be great to keep. Bear usually always being the equivilent of  warrior classes, cats and wolves like rogues, etc... Please consider adding this into the game before full release!