Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!

Workers!

In some games u can hire workers to get mats, craft and sell things for u. I like if u can hire workers that cost a some every game year to work for u and they cost different depending on the talant, like worker blacksmiths, some are the ones that can open up a shop where u can sell mats, food, gear or what there is u can sell. May even be that u need to do like in BDO and do quests or something to make the workers like u before they want to work for u, there is so much a worker can give the game and most for players that can not play 5-6 hours a day but like to farm mats, have a farm or something that can make money/gear/acceserys, then a worker that u pay to sell what u get or help that players in some way when they are offline is a nice treat.

Comments

• I for one hope they don't let you get NPC crafts as that would hurt those that want to make that their main reason for playing the game. Now an automated selling NPC is fine, but i don't want to see crafting taken away from the players.
  • maybe that if u are a crafter and have a blacksmith u can hire/do quest to get NPC that players can go to to pay for just a repair? the crafting may be to much I agree.
    I heard that repair are mayed by players and if u do not have any one that can repair then u need new gear, so if the players that have the skill for it can take a quest to find a NPC that can work for u that will help repair players for money when he is offline or melt iron or something that is not to big of a means to destroy the player part in crafting then guilds and towns will grow a little faster and get the boring part away from work
  • Yes implementing workers is a good idea because it will show full in depth game immersion :3
  • [quote quote=12909]Yes implementing workers is a good idea because it will show full in depth game immersion :3

[/quote]

How would hiring an AI bring Full in depth immersion?
    The player having to gather the iron then smelt his own iron to make the armor then having to run his own shop to sell the armor is something you would have to in real life. That sounds more immersive than sending an AI to do the gathering for me.
    I understand that a casual player probably won't have the time to do all that everyday. A casual player would probably have to buy the iron from a gatherer, smelt it, make the armor, then sell it to a shop keeper.

I am new here and I haven't read every post, so I think this is just all speculative on how in-depth they are going with the rest of the game otherthan Nodes.
  • I think it would be cool to commission other players. Like have outside your stall a board that you are looking for X amount of Y Mat and you're paying Z Amount. And If a player has what you're looking for they can accept the "Quest" in a sense. And get paid out for a trade in goods. Kind of like a Auction house style ish just on a more Personal level. Maybe even have a bargaining system or a central trade hub with other player stalls.
  • Personally, I do not like this because the game's crafting system makes it so that players have to rely on each other to master the three different trades of gathering, refining, and mastering. From what I have seen, you will not be able to master the making, refining, and gathering of goods on one character. It would make becoming a gatherer of resources less appealing and profitable if it can be automated using in game currency.
  • Why not? You could have 3 characters that each master one if you wanted to. Even then, you could even just gather and still make a lot of money.

I for one, am going to be a gatherer Primarily, since I will be exploring and adventuring while I'm not at my Player Owned Gambling Tavern.
  • [quote quote=14574]I think it would be cool to commission other players. Like have outside your stall a board that you are looking for X amount of Y Mat and you’re paying Z Amount. And If a player has what you’re looking for they can accept the “Quest” in a sense. And get paid out for a trade in goods. Kind of like a Auction house style ish just on a more Personal level. Maybe even have a bargaining system or a central trade hub with other player stalls. [/quote]
    Ha! That's what Discord is for. :P
  • I really dont like the idea. Hire "robots" to do somthing automatic to give you benefits is not a good idea. I prefer to do the "old system", i mean, if i want to mining, i'll get a pick and i'll explore the world to get my resources.
  • [quote quote=14574]I think it would be cool to commission other players. Like have outside your stall a board that you are looking for X amount of Y Mat and you’re paying Z Amount. And If a player has what you’re looking for they can accept the “Quest” in a sense. And get paid out for a trade in goods. Kind of like a Auction house style ish just on a more Personal level. Maybe even have a bargaining system or a central trade hub with other player stalls.

[/quote]
    THIS IS IMPORTANT
    As a fully dedicated artisan I love to commission other players to gather for me. Guild mates gathering sometimes aren't enough for us to mass produce the things we need. In an MMO like this where there is no auction house the local economy is even more important! Artisans having adventurers with free time gather for them feeds experience to the node, develops the town further, and improves the local economy.
    I've been a gatherer in the past and I fell in love with exploring, mapping the areas i traveled, developing an understanding of the zone beyond "this npc is here and that material is there." Throwing AI gatherers into the mix takes away the need for people like that, it hurts the trinity artisan system, and it saps some of the love for the game out of the community. Personally I would rather interact with another player and haggle for raw/refined materials instead of clicking through an NPC.
  • If you watch the video with the youtuber lazy peon, it is stated that you can have workers sell stuff for you, harvest crops and even plant the fields, Or workat your inn. It is also stated that You will be able to give those workers tasks that can be done offline. There is a chanse that they will even come out with a mobile phone app that will let you give your workers tasks.
    The idea is cool.
    æthis is still subject to change, and its not 100% yet, the mobile phone app was a hudge maybe in the sounds of it.
  • I like workers, it mean you can still make some money, even when not online. But I think they should be limited to say 5. You could have 2 skilled and 3 non skilled. SO the skilled can do things like craft materials, smelting, making planks etc, but they won't be able to make a finished product. The other 3 non skilled could be gathers, farmers (weeding, sowing seeds), or maybe work in your tavern.
  • The overly WoW Garrison fears are real in here where sitting back and inflating the economy into a nose dive has people super on edge as it is.

Where do we draw the line between rewarding time spent in the game, vs accounting for economy inflation?
  • To be fair in 'real' life this wouldn't happen.

If we take the medieval society as an example the blacksmith in any village or city would never have spent time gathering ore. He would have been to busy manufacturing goods. The raw materials would have been 'gathered' by iron workers (or miners) who would have provided the goods directly or alternatively sold to merchant wholesalers. The smith would in turn purchase those materials to work them into products or use them to repair existing items.

However we are talking a game here ????
  • How else do you compete with 24/7 bots without everyone else using bots while they are AFK ?
  • I truthfully think the only way workers would not hurt the economy is if they were used to sell your produced goods or harvest STRICTLY from your freehold.
  • I'm not certain you will necessarily need npc workers, I'm sure you could hire player characters to work for you, such as owning a mine, you can have players work in the mine whilst others defend it from people who want to take advantage of it. 
  • Plebs are needed!!!

(An ale to anyone who remember what game that is from.)
  • ArchivedUserArchivedUser Guest
    edited June 2017
    I for one love gathering more than crafting and love it a ton.  I hope they don't have gathering NPCs so that ya all need to hire ME instead!
    edited June 2017
    I can't wait for the technology that allows us to hire NPC's to come and do my yard (IRL.)
    edited June 2017
    You say workers I say loyal slaves ^^
  • As much as I love having minions I don't really think we need them because I'm sure it was mentioned in a stream that we can have equipment on freeholds to gather if we're are not there. I think the example used was like a mining feature that would extract from the near by ore node ^^
  • If minions are in the game they should only be able to gather the most basic of materials to help you at the start but. As you progress into the crafting of equipment  they should lose the ability to be of use in making high lvl equipment. The materials for the high end should only be supplied by players for players. At lest that is what I believe ????
  • I have been thinking of all this I said and all I like npc for is for just make the cityes and towns look alive like in a farm someone have maybe some npc that just looks like they are working there and so on to make places with not to many players not look like they are dead
  • There are going to be both if they go with what they have stated. Other than just guards for your freehold, you will be able to hire other npcs to do other tasks. Whether that is act as bartender for you tavern, a farmer for your fields, or a smelter for your ore, nothing has been confirmed beyond that they will be available. The same with automated harvesters ala SWG. They were kicking around the the idea, said it might make an appearance if they could work out the kinks.
  • What if npc workers wouldn't be owned by freehold owners but could be hired by node leaders through tax money.
    The workers would then go out somewhere in that node and generate general npc goods over time to buy in the nodes city/villages.

If a enemy nodes player kills all the workers, the node wont get new supply of general goods until new workers are hired..
  • So you want a worker that collect for you, craft for you then sell for you ? Let say you want free golds then u-U.
  • I like the idea of having an NPC to sell my wares while I'm out adventuring or harvesting more raw materials.  I also like having crafters needing each other and a certain amount of barter going on.  I usually choose provisioning\cook\chef as a crafting profession in most games I play.  I'm not sure why since I'm only a mediocre cook at best in real life.  Then again maybe that's why.  But I digress.  In other games I've traded my wares to other crafters for theirs.  I've also bartered raw materials to a crafter to make me something where they get to keep all the extra raws I gave them.  So I guess I would like a mix.  A best of both worlds kind of thing.
  • Jaikant said:
    So you want a worker that collect for you, craft for you then sell for you ? Let say you want free golds then u-U.
    All I like is a NPC that sell things, makes the store look alive, working at the farms and so on just to make it look less emty, if they do then it will be a more of a MMORPG then a MMO like WoW and many other games are now a days.
  • Hiring an npc. for gathering or crafting undermines any player based economy. If the hired npc is based on a players craft stall or farm hold it makes sense. A master smith with his in stall npc apprentice  upgrading materials toward final crafting seems a justifiable progress reward to advance mastery. I would like to see the wage of an npc worker scale to market so that low level crafters stay viable or can even take the position for their own profit. Forget to pay your npc? They don't come to work. Smelt a ton of ore for a higher level crafter you skill up and get paid.