Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!

Lore Books?

Seeing as we will have access to our own freeholds within a node, I'm curious if there will be books scattered around the world that can be collected and stored on shelves within your hold and even the concept of buying and selling the ones you have yet to obtain.. Random thought.

Comments

• There was a push for scribes and ways of recording events. Lore will be found in the world. What has not been confirmed is collectible lore like books and such. They did say that as it isn't part of the core or stretch goals that you wouldn't see by live launch, but didn't rule out a future update down the line.
  • I figured it wound be within launch, would be a nice touch for those of us who delve into the history of the world our characters live in. Thanks for the info! 
  • ArchivedUserArchivedUser Guest
    edited January 2018
    Wow I had a terrible flashback to all the lorebooks I have gathered in ESO to level up the damn mages guild upon reading the title of the thread 😅
  • Love collecting books this way <3 well it would be nice if players could also write their own in game books.
  • Love collecting books this way <3 well it would be nice if players could also write their own in game books.
    Agreed, would make for a nice added style, over the longevity of the game, books based upon the rise and fall of cities, the epic battles against some dug up foe. Would make for some wonderful stories. 
    Anything that boosts immersion is a +1 for me :smiley:
  • I had quite a library going in Everquest2.  I love doing collections like that.  I get items for my home and I get to learn more about the world I'm exploring.  That makes it even better.  Especially when you finally find that one book you needed to complete a set.

Actually I like collections of all kinds.  All teh shinies r mine.  :p
  • Noemad said:
    I had quite a library going in Everquest2.  I love doing collections like that.  I get items for my home and I get to learn more about the world I'm exploring.  That makes it even better.  Especially when you finally find that one book you needed to complete a set.

Actually I like collections of all kinds.  All teh shinies r mine.  :p
    I remember power-leveling alt toons in eq2 by buying a crap ton of collectibles to finish the collectible quest.  I remember spending about 10 plat to get to level 40 or something like that lol.
  • My first Lore Book:

'There was an old hermit named Dave......

I think I've got a best seller on my hands, eh?
  • Crymoar said:
    My first Lore Book:

'There was an old hermit named Dave......

I think I've got a best seller on my hands, eh?

Dave sounds more like a pirate name tbh...
  • I sure hope so. I would love a library building filled with discovered books that players could spend hours in doing research. I like how TES series does their lore books and I would love to see that done in this open world MMO.
  • I would be happy to collect any interesting books in my freehold. I also think that some of the quests should require reading books, in order to solve mysteries behind those quests. 
  • I would absolutely love to see books in-game, personally!  If they do get around to it some time maybe they could even hold community contests to help flesh things out—though if I were them I'd like to have a very clear idea about what's being written/what the implications are/etc. so I can understand why they wouldn't do that as well.
  • How about auto-generated lore books?, that actually feature the names of those characters that were in on accomplishments?  I could even see that as a highly desired collectible for those that are mentioned in the books.
  • Instead of an "Achievements" tab of some sort, make the recording of certain events part of your personal lore book.
  • From the roleplaying side of me, I intend to keep a daily journal from my characters point of view coming through the gate, I would love to see a way for players to document their stories to leave for later newcomers to pick up and read. 
  • I want to collect books that when in a special order reveal a hidden map or record to forge/craft or find a hidden weapon,skill,armor,pet ect. Maybe you have to read a trail of books that makes you barter, trade, steal, quest, ect. oh and have a set of books so rare only one person can have it but for some reason not for ever and everyone has to relocate it just to use it. Jst some ideas, what do yall think?