Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!

How do you feel about "Guild Requirements"

So we're all mmo players here, seeking that next mmo buzz that will keep us excited and drooling. 

A big choice for alot of us, is guilds. 
Some of us begin our own and lead them, others join. 

Something we all have to think about though, Requirements? 

Do you have none?
Do you have some?
Is there A.L.O.T. 

Some requirements are more relaxed, "Log-in once a month."

Others are more... curious? "Only accepting people that weigh less than 200lbs." 

Then you're left with some of the more hardcore. "Must beable to play 6 hours a day, make it to every meeting, and if you're not top of the top you're not for us." 

Ambition in requirements is certainly respectable, but its definitely not the more favored atmosphere. 

How do you guys feel about requirements? 
Also, whats the craziest guild req you've seen in your history of mmo playing? 

For me, it was that each individual that joined the guild had to provide a voice recording of them saying the guild motto in a demonic voice. (I'd include a link, but it was back on Fiesta Online a old old mmo.) 

Comments

• I join a guild to meet people and have fun playing. Those that put in too many hoops to jump through, have login requirements, tithing, or "you must spend X hours gathering and donate those materials to the guild" are all good indicators for me of guilds to avoid like the plague. I also have a personal rule to never join a guild that has Dark, Elite, or Shadow in the name.
  • Funnier the guild name more relaxed it seems.
  • I join a guild to meet people and have fun playing. Those that put in too many hoops to jump through, have login requirements, tithing, or "you must spend X hours gathering and donate those materials to the guild" are all good indicators for me of guilds to avoid like the plague. I also have a personal rule to never join a guild that has Dark, Elite, or Shadow in the name.

Old Timers Guild.

Only requirement is to be at least 25.

They good people.
  • @UnknownSystemError
    "Dark, Elite, or Shadow" I laughed at that. *Browses through the AOC guilds* 
    I lead a guild called Temple, and legit I would never put any of those edgy names in. 

Hoops to leap through though... Normally those hoops are simply to make sure everyones on the same page to a degree, like minded individuals moving forward. 
  • My only gripe would be guilds who require weekly/monthly payment to the guild bank. If you don't follow it then you're kicked.  Ok, I get it you want to fund your guild activities but asking other players to fork up a huge chunk of their in-game assets is a bit much. 

one requirement I do stand behind is having a mic/headset and to be able at least to participate in voice chat when it's called for. 
  • I join a guild to become a part of a community, and I want that community to be one that I enjoy being in. So I look for requirements that align with my way of thinking, usually maturity at this point. In the past I would look for guilds that expect a certain level of gear, or would put you through a trial run in a raid situation because that was what I was into. 

I hate guilds that just invite everyone because there is NO community. Everyone is in the guild for the buffs and they couldn't care less about their fellow guild members.

The more selective a guild is of it's members, the better, in my opinion. They are trying to build something and are careful to make sure all the pieces fit together nicely. Every guild will have it's drama, but when people actively try to mitigate that and make a welcoming environment for people to log on to that drama seems less important and the guild takes on actual meaning.
  • I perfer small guilds. People who you can trust and have fun with  grow into a family. My friends and I will  make a guild about 15 of us  when we starr the game and if it grow it will happen organically when we meet new people/friends  in game. 
  •  (I'd include a link, but it was back on Fiesta Online a old old mmo.) 
    My first love <3

I had a very bad karma with the guilds I joined. They all started friendly and got into a direction of "you have to invest money into the game or we'll kick you". So that's the reason I played most of the games solo.

But I'm planning to change this and maybe try to lead my own small guild in this game. In my opinion guilds are meant to meet some nice people to play with, have some nice conversations and chilled evenings after work and reach individuals goals as an group.
  • I won't join a guild that has requirements.
  • The requirements usually give you a good feeling for the atmosphere you will encounter in the guild. And everyone can decide whether they want to join those guilds or not. People are free to choose, whether they are the one setting the requirements or whether they want to join a guild with the respective requirements (or lack thereof).
  • back in tera about 4 years ago now I ran a guild called "Crazy Squiggles". Our requirement was to put 1 gold into the GB every day for guild stuff and for every gold added to the GB each month I would add double that and when we got to the 200+ member mark, a bunch of people wondered what we were gonna do with the 100 mil+ gold in guild bank and I was like "fuck, I hadn't really thought about it, it was supposed to be used on armor sets but everyone has the gear they want, I guess lets come up with some games and stuff and I will buy people gear or costumes as rewards or something." So we played trivia games, hide and seek, KICK THE NOOB, and poke the bear (harass the pvp guilds). Ah those were good times :smile:

We were on the RP server :smiley:

• I very much agree with you @Kitzi  I've been in a lot of guilds over the last 20 years in all shapes and sizes.  At the end of the day, what I've decided is that MMO's are about making true friends, and guilds are the best way to do that.  That experience has distilled down into: 

People over Progression.  People AND Progression. 

I booted up an AOC guild on those principles call The Cohort, and the way we balance those things is we try to attract potential members who (i) share our core values, (ii) are willing to improve themselves with constructive feedback from our in-game academies, and (iii) are willing to hop on voice chat, even if they aren't chatty.  From there, the only "hoop" to jump is to hang out and play games!  If you're a fit, we invite you to the guild.  

It's going great!   I love hanging out with the people in the guild, and that's what matters.  
  • To me guilds are social hubs, I usually join them to find like minded people and have fun, solo playing is great but there is a certain charm to playing with others :3
  • To me guilds are social hubs, I usually join them to find like minded people and have fun, solo playing is great but there is a certain charm to playing with others :3
    It'll be a requirement for a lot of the content in Ashes.

• I avoid any guilds or leave them immediately if I find that they have requirements. It just shows poor leadership in my opinion if you can't motivate your guild to harvest resources. I remember in Age of Conan I would just stop progression for weeks just to mine and chop wood at every node in Stygia, just so I can drop them off in the guild bank in the construction of the castle.

I am curious to see how they implement the system and if there is going to be bloated guilds that are going to get to ridiculous sizes as the ones seen in Eve (+5k players). With the concept of constructing cities and also castles I expect only the biggest guilds to do anything.
  • Tomoyuki said:
    I avoid any guilds or leave them immediately if I find that they have requirements. It just shows poor leadership in my opinion if you can't motivate your guild to harvest resources.
    Totally agree.  Leadership is influencing people to action.  

• Well that is a bit releiving I can tell coworkers, "strategy can beat zergs". Someone at least is on the right track, but a little off in my opinion on small guilds can't beat large guilds. If it is through artificial means then yes I agree. A guild of 30 fighting a guild of 100 using innovative tactics/planning should beat guilds that have gotten complacent.

Seen in happen many times and it really can destroy a large guild if they aren't strong friends to begin with. Because people tend to leave those massive guilds after a couple ass kickings and so I leave this to the masses.